UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
I decided to make some homemade hammocks for my rats I am soon to get!
it seems that I needed to research it more as when i just started making them thoughts hit me :001_unsure:
I am using felt material, is this okay?
I am unsure about thread so far i used it round holes and sides to make it more secure and last longer but i was a bit worried about the thread it's thick but it is the one that divides into 6 little ones. Do you think this would be okay for rats, i did make sure there was no loose ends and it was nice and tight?
I would life to make them for them but of course if it is dangerous I won't?
:idea:
If anybody knew it would be really helpful :)

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I wouldn't worry about loose ends as rats like to chew and u may find your rats will chew and make holes in them. All my hammocks/bunkers/cubes have holes in them from the boys!

As for fabric i don't think anyone uses felt. All my hammocks and other hammocks I've seen are made from fleece.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Felt isn't really bad for them but it doesn't wash well which is why people tend to steer clear of it. So don't chuck out the one(s) you've made but just in the future for durability I'd switch to fleece.
That thread should be fine too :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks greatly :)
its good to know I am not back to sqare one but i will think about that in the furture
I think i got felt mixed up with fleece! when i watched a youtube clip :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for anyone who is interested to know...
...I finished my felt hammocks :D
Yep I made four for 3 quid (thats half the price of one) and even though they are felt and probally won't last that long I am pretty pleased :thumbsup:
It didn't take me as long as I thought either!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I second the need for piccies so you can show off your handiwork :D

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Upload them to photobucket.com then click on the bit that says img code and paste the link into a post here one by one :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I'll try that but heres what there like
One is red and black and I made it so it is double decker
One is green with a white circle in the middle and is just normal
The other is blue one side and brown the other except I didn't sew up the ends so they can crawl though it
The last one is purple with two yellow pockets to hide in
I will try that photo Bucket thing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i made a homemade hammock for my Syrian and he loved it... all it was,

was an old cotton t-shirt cut up and then pushed the edges through the wire and knotted them and then put a cabled tie around each tie just to secure it....but to be honest it only lasted a few 'clean outs' as it soon got smelly and i just chucked it instead of washing it but i could have probably washed it but ive got loads of old t shirts knocking around so was easier just to make another one

hope that helped!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh thanks for the help :D
I was trying to make one which would last a bit longer than a few "clean outs" but I don't know how they will fare against the ratties get (which I'm getting in a week!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.