Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Homeless shelter in a bus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Mar 19, 2017.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Saw this on BBC news this morning - this guy has achieved so much setting up this shelter on the I of W and now several more are opening around the country. Its going to be featured on Inside Out tomorrow evening in the south or on I player. Short video about it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39319757

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Wow - well done to him

Just found it - if anyone has Sky you can get the BBC channels for other regions (but well hidden now, it used to be a lot easier to find them!)

We don't get Inside Out here - I presume it's some sort of regional 'thing' as it's taken me ages to find the right one!

Channel 964 if anyone is outside the region & has sky

Katalyst and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I saw that this morning on the news will try and watch the programme on i-player. What a wonderful idea, I just hope more appear so people can sleep safe instead of on the street.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I watched this on the news this morning too ... apparently it gets around planning laws too as it has wheels!

He was such an unassuming man, too. Good for him.

J

5. rottiepointerhouse

Yes sorry it is a regional news type programme but you can apparently see any of the regions on I player once its been broadcast.

I thought the man who lived in a 5 bed house overlooking the sea who lost his job and became depressed, split from his wife and lost everything due to alcoholism was a very eloquent reminder of how homelessness can happen to anyone.

HarlequinCat and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I try my best to stay away from threads with the word 'Homeless' in their titles because, as a rule, they often contain something that either angers me or makes me despair. I'm not sure why I was drawn to your thread RP.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I did read further because it has been a pleasant surprise and an idea I hope quickly catches on with more people.

I'm sure there's plenty of ageing DD's laid up out of service around the country and, from memory, I know my own hometown used to have quite a line up.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We have some used as SOS buses in popular nightspots. Manned by volunteers to "rescue" revellers who have rendered themselves incapable/vulnerable.

Keeps them safe and out of A&E, so a great idea.

Mobile shelters is a great idea too.

8. rottiepointerhouse

It really does seem like such a simple solution in the short term so I hope it does catch on. Apparently there is going to be one near us so will try and find out more about it.

Zaros and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I loved how proud he was that it had worked. He seemed truly happy to have made such a difference.
    He should be proud :)

10. rottiepointerhouse

Some info about the Dorset bus - sounds like they are going great guns as they had raised enough money to buy a bus then had one donated so they can spend the money they had for the renovations. They also have a just giving page to help with running costs. Shame about some of the ignorant comments but you get those with pretty much any article in the local paper.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...rmed_into_a_20_bed_shelter_for_the_homeless/#

Zaros likes this.
  11. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

A bus donation. :Happy What an excellent gift.

And this is what I mean about anger and despair RP. People who have absolutely no idea of how a desperate situation arises or comes about, but are quite prepared to run their slack mouths off all the same. :(

12. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Brilliant thing to do for the homeless. Good luck to all the night bus projects.

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice