Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Homeless people..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 5headh, Sep 13, 2013.

1. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Do you talk to them? Give them money/supplies?

I'm a bit to shy to approach/talk people so rarely give them stuff however I will drop lose change into they're pots.

With the amount of time I spend at the hospital I end up talking to the local homeless people, mental health patients seem to have to wait that little bit longer so we have some nice random chats and a few giggles to pass the time.

I met a certain guy called Dave, we spoke about his past and how he ended up in the pickle he is in, we also have a bit of a joke about, the first time I met him we were sat talking about how he used to be an alcoholic and how he was now sober, he was proud to tell me how he always dresses smart and his clever 'street tricks' of hiding his clothes and such.

Sadly the next time I saw him he was drunk and had slipped back again but we still had a chat and a joke, he always seems to recognize me even if he couldn't remember my name.
    The one thing that sticks out is he has never asked me for a single thing, not a penny.

I very rarely go into town but when I do I always keep a look out for him to say hello but I never seem to see him, today I dragged myself into town after a particularly bad patch and over the other side of the pedestrianized area saw him, he was with a few other homeless people but I was brave and went over and said hey, he looked well pleased bless him, we stood and had a chat, he had a cast on his hand, I asked him what he had done, I then corrected myself and said 'actually I don't think I want to know!' he laughed and replied 'yeah you dont!' then also pointed out his broken foot :rolleyes:

He introduced me to his 'mates' and kept shaking my hand and saying thanks for me talking to him, his mate then butted in and went on about how he is a busker but his voice had gone coz he was ill.. And started singing a song to show me he can still sing a bit, next thing I know both of them are full blown singing to me in the middle of town centre, everyone is stopping to look at me :eek: I went super embarrassed but it was sweet bless them.
    Now I just have semisonic - secret smile in my head :mad2:

I didn't want to just hand over some money to him incase he took it the wrong way and felt bad because of it, if I was near a shop I would have offered to get him some baci as I know he smokes and is forever picking up butts off the floor! :frown2:
    I said goodbye he gave me a hug and told me if I ever have any trouble to go find him and he'll sort it :rolleyes:

Lets hope I don't see him in A+E again with something else broken!

Bit of a random thread but it brightened up my day bless him!

Waterlily likes this.
  2. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

I bet you stopping to chat made their day too. We are all equal.:)

3. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

When I used to work late in Bournemouth many years ago, when I was paid I used to go and buy sandwiches and hand them out.

Now if I see a homeless chap just sat down I tend to go over and talk to them providing they don't look scary. If I can spare it I will give them a few quid to get into the night shelter.

4. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Exactly :)
    My nan refuses to talk to them and says its they're own fault they're homeless, as they must have had a house at some poine but everyone had they're own story, you never know what goes on behind closed doors...

No pun intended...

5. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Quite alot of them are scary round here :eek: There is another guy I talk to at the hospital but he is a bit scary lol and doesn't quite understand indoor voices so everyone soon hears my business... Plus he is often very very drunk.

6. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

My nan thinks like that - but I asked her to watch that programme that was on a while ago that showed a few people becoming homeless - one family had a four bed house, two cars, own business and heir top customer stopped paying, then they failed to pay suppliers and ended up bankrupt through no fault of their own, another lady had cancer and couldn't pay her bills.

I always give a couple of quid to the 'regulars' - which in my town consists of a couple of chaps who play the accordion and always give a smile and hello - even if I haven't any money on me, and I always buy a mag off a lady who sells Big Issues but sometimes I don't see her for ages.

7. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

Certain ones I do there is a genuine homeless man who taught me never give to someone begging in the rain, he told me a true homeless person would be taking shelter as they have to sleep in those clothes. I don't give the ones out their face on drugs a thing! Their is a young man who begs in the centre with a dog, my dad offered to take his dog only for him to tell him he gets around £40 a day begging!

8. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

There used to be a guy where i used to live sit outside Mcds everyone knew him and all he ever asked for was a cup of hot chocolate, word got round and people who passed and saw he had a empty cup would go get him a hot chocolate, never begged for money nothing also the staff in that mcds would give him a meal a day , dosnt hurt to help i dont think :)
    I personally wouldnt give money id rather go get them a sandwich or something

9. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Yeah :) I always used to buy a big issue, I gave a lady with a dog some dog food and treats once.
    I don't really see Dave begging all that much but he must do, from what I have been told he usually hangs about at the other end of town.

There is another guy who in fact has a home but is so scared to go back as he is racially abused and bullied, he is a heroin addict though however I do occasionally give him some odd change.

That is a good point about the begging in the clothes thing!
    There is a disused building by the hospital and i remember one day going home saying bye to Dave and off he walked to the grounds of the disused building to 'bed'

10. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Yeah I always much prefer to give something rather than money, money they could spend on anything :/

#10 5headh, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  11. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

I was reading somewhere that one of the best gifts you can give a homeless person is some good quality socks.

And the point above about the rain is very true! But some people (such as the dude in A Streetcat called Bob) are 'vulnerably housed' and still need to busk to eat and pay for electric etc

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I did voluntary work with the homeless for a time when I lived in London. It certainly opens your eyes that does.

Some of the tales were heartbreaking and you could tell the genuine cases by the way they spoke to you and the manner in which they behaved.

Unfortunately, I also had to deal with the jumped up little feckers who thought the world owed them a living and had left home simply because they "weren't going to do what their f*****g parents told them!" :mad: They had attitude dripping out of every orrifice.

I rarely see homeless people when I go into town. And I never give to the Big Issue seller since he drives a rather nifty Volvo!!!! :eek:

13. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

I will talk to homeless people as long as they aren't scary or demand money off me, obviously.

There was a man who used too sit in the subway with his dog, he would always be wrapped in a sleeping bag and everyday after work at my old job I used to walk past him and I always felt really sorry for him. So one day I decided to buy him a cup of tea as I was getting a drink for myself, took it to him, gave him a cigarette also. You should have seen the smile on his face, he was made up, such simple things can make someones day, even if it's a quick hello or a smile. Made me feel better about myself even if it was just a cup of tea. I saw him a few times after that and I always said hello to him and he would ask to borrow my lighter or for a cigarette but it didn't bother me.

I don't know what happened to him though, one day he was just gone. I hope he got his life sorted out!

14. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Weelcome to my life. I am a sort of magnet for unconventional people - and by that I mean, drunk, homeless, eccentric and just plain odd. Doesn't bother me - in fact I'm flattered that they feel they can trust me. I rarely give money, but I've bought a cup of tea, pie etc - and OP is right - I am never asked for anything, but if someone has looked hungry and/or cold, I've offered.

Some of the most tragic stories come out, but never any self-pity. There are two things that have struck me very strongly.

One is how many homeless/alcoholic people are ex-services. A massive proportion. I think it's because they've had an incredible bond with their mates - many of whom they've watched get blown to pieces. It's a bond rarely experienced in civilian life. The other is that they've seen and done such terrible things that they can't settle to civvy life. There is no-one to talk to about what's happened to them; people don't want to hear. They can't talk it out and can't get the pictures out of their heads. If they're lucky they'll get a bit of counselling. Most of them just have to get on with it.

The other thing is that becoming homeless can happen to anyone. There are a lot of professional people who have had very good jobs, living rough. They maybe have an alcohol dependency; or have been made redundant; or their family has broken up. None of us should be complacent, we don't know what tomorrow will bring.

And of course, the 'care in the community' people, who can't look after themselves, but who have nowhere else to go. Thanks, Mrs Thatcher.

metame likes this.
  15. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

I give something if I can.. I can afford it and I always think 'there but for the grace of God'.. You never know what has happened in that persons life.x

16. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

I never give to Big issue sellers either.. they always seem to be Romanian where I live, not that I have got anything against Romanians but I don't think the money goes to those that need it..more like it ends up in the pocket of some Eastern European crime boss..

17. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

I never thought of the socks! I hope to see Dave again just not in hospital lol

Just talking to Dave changed the way I thought about homeless people, I thought all homeless people were drug addicts, Dave is 100% anti drugs!

It's always a worry when they just dissapear, on a similar kind of note I am in A+E atleast 4/5 times a week requiring medical treatment, the nurses in there have said if I manage to sort myself out and not needing to go in to pop and tell them because the day they really worry is the day I dont come anymore.

I am a magnet too! And with the amount of time i spend in A+E I meet alot of 'odd' people, its wierd though I can happily talk to 'differant' people but not your every day average joe.

It is shocking how many homeless people are ex servicemen I saw a program about ti once.

18. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

I used to be more sympathetic until 2 members of my family were broken into, my aunts dogs were battered, they are trained not to bark and had even took them a toy, they had kicked, punched and thrown against walls, my grandparents were eating their tea at the time they were broken into. A customer in my work had her mans ashes thrown all over the house some even down the toilet, he was caught after having the cheek to make him self a sandwich and leaving it half eaten covered in DNA. Not to mention the countless number of people being mugged, I don't like taking my purse out in public. I used to think they're still someone's child but not anymore.

19. metame

metame PetForums VIP

I rarely give money but I have bought them stuff they have needed (i.e. a sandwich/drink etc) or have wanted (cigarettes) before

20. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

If they have dogs with them I go into the nearest shop and buy some tins of dog food. I can't help a lot but that I hope helps a little.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice