Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home sickness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gem16, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Me and my mum are moving out tomorrow into the new house because parents are splitting up, we are really close so it was obvious choice i'd go with her.
    But tonight is my last night at home and i just feel so upset, i have lived here all my life and even though i'm 19 ( technically ready to leave the nest ) i feel devastated this won't be my home anymore.
    I am moving about 20 mins away so not far but i just wondered if anyone else felt this way about moving for the first time, i am so anxious that i will hate it.
    I can't imagine not waking up in my bedroom every day or walking down my stairs or laying in the front room it's all the silly things all the memories it's really upsetting me.
    Is this normal? can anywhere ever feel like home apart from the place you grew up in? i suddenly have this panic feeling where i never want to move out ever ever! i wish i was rich i could buy the house and stay here. It's nothing special and we are even moving to a nicer area but meh :confused:

2. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

I hated moving from the house i grew up in and i was only 14 years old and we only moved 5mins up the road

I've always said if i had the chance i'd move back there and im 24 now [25 in just under 3 weeks]

3. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i know how you feel when we moved house i was well anxoius i wouldnt like the new neighbour hood or house but it turned out fine in the end good luck with the move

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I moved out of our family home last year aged 18. Mum sold it and we've moved three hours away. To be honest I'm thankful we are so far away as it would break my heart to see all the changes the new people made.

We moved here August 2010. I don't like it, I miss the old house but I miss the area too more than anything, at least being 20 mins away you've still got your friends and things?

In our house there had been lots of rows and arguments etc and the house itself held plenty of crappy memories. I miss the garden like crazy though. Being able to go and sit under the willow tree in the rain, nobody being able to find you if someone was on the phone it was so big and private :eek:

As pants as it is I guess life moves on and not everything is within our control. Try and treasure the nice memories :(

Sending you hugs x x

5. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Really do hate growing up!

6. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I know it seems bad but one day soon you'll be making a home for yourself and you won't be as attatched to the house you're moving to. I'm sorry about your parents btw :( When I moved I was really excited, but that was when I was leaving the nest. I had been ready for my own place since I was 14 lol. Too many arguments, too many people, not enough control. I was glad to go!

7. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

When I moved house with hubby out of my parents home I never felt at home. I moved over the river to Plymouth only 15 minutes by ferry or bridge but I missed it so much. I would go visit for dinner and on the ferry back would have a tear as Plymouth wasn't my home. We then moved to a flat where we were very unhappy. In the end we moved to a house and had chance to build our own new home together. Its finally home where I feel safe and happy. I live a 2 minute walk from my parents now and when I visit them I miss the house. my sister now has my old room...its quite sad. hubby is away next weekend and as I cannot handle both dogs with my chest at present I am staying and cannot wait.

It may also feel a little upsettinga s your parents have split. you will soon make new memories and will be happy its a new start make the most of still living with your mum as when you grow up its even harder :(

(((hugs)))

8. slash

slash PetForums Member

When I first left home to go to university I was excited but scared and everytime I've moved house since then I've cried when I left.
    However I have learned from experience that you think the place you leave is home and no where else you live will be home, but home is where you feel happy and safe and that place can change over the years.
    Leaving your childhood home always hurts, and I have no experience of your situation with your parents, but I just wanted to reassure you that many many places will feel like home.

9. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I arrived today, i hate it so much i want to go straight back home! :(

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:( Oh sweetheart :( I've just gone and said congratulations to you on another thread as well :blush:

My dad sold the family home a year ago and I'm still gutted (I'm 26). I'd moved up here to Newcastle Upon Tyne and he couldn't keep it going anymore.

I've never lived anywhere else apart from at uni and it was strange because my mum died at 21 and that house was almost the last link to her.

There's a tree in the garden that me and my mum planted from an acorn and such. Eee I'm crying now :rolleyes:: :eek:

I still find it hard to comprehend I can't just walk up the drive and go in - it's MY house :eek:

It gets a bit easier with time and you've got lots of good memories to make in your new house.

PM me if you want me and big hugs again

Em
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice