Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

home made foooooood

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gilly and Jess, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Who enjoys cooking and what's your favourite to make?

I'm currently making macaroni cheese with pancetta and spring onions, with home made garlic bread and chips for the kids for their teas! (oven chips are pants!) One of their faves. Was going to do cauliflower cheese but me eldest's a wimp and won't eat cauli!

Made chicken, carrots, onions, peas, peppers, sweetcorn, ginger, soy sauce, chilli, chicken stock and noodles the other day, that went in wraps with salsa sauce and wedges.............

And you can't beat a home-made lasagne either!! Mmmmmm mmmmmm!! :D

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sounds lovely... Home cooking to me is something that has instructions more complicated then 'pierce film lid'!!!:D

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

nope can't stand cooking, i prefer baking, more preferably i like EATING.

husband loves cooking though, but hates shopping, guess who does what.

4. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I love home made stuff, love making soups, and lasagnas and my own meat pies and sausage rolls.

5. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

I prefere homemade food. I dont do enough, however there is a couple of things that I get requests for that are mine. Used to get jars of pasta sauce until a few weeks ago was doing a speg bog and found I had none. We always keep tinned tomatos in the cupboard so thought I would make my own. Now hubby wont let me buy a jar, he says mine was really nice and much better! Dont take much either tbh. Also my homemade potato salad, sounds strange but so much nicer than shop brought. It is easy and everyone could do it....new pots, red onion finely chopped, black pepper and mayonise. But everyone says how lovely it is and asks me to make it! :D I dont know whether you can class fajitas and tacos as home cooking. But I do cut the chicken and peppers and what not up and cook it all up......they are easy and such a nice dinner! :D Ohhh and I do my own lasagna, which is not very good, still learning, but I do do it. and sheppards pie! it is so much nicer. I find shop brought stuff like that is soggy and tastless! Mmm the more I think about it the more I actually cook than what I thought! I also do an amazing cheesy bacon pasta! :D When Alfie was a baby I struggled to make up my own food for him, when he first started...as you need the most smallest amount! I found I was wasting alot. Then I was talking to someone way after I needed it and they told me about puting the food into the icecube trays cause they are small enough!! Sooo simple! Cant wait this time, gonna do it properly, so not gonna waste money on food jars for this one! Yeah, home cooked food is best! Also you know whats going into it! :D

6. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

I LOVE COOKING.

Just pulled out a loaf of banana bread from the oven... mmm.

Tonight we're having home made pie... but I got it from the local butchers. I makes awesome pies myself though.

The only things I don't make from scratch are things that are just way over complicated like pesto... and that's really about it! I make chillis, currys and all pasta sauces from scratch. I also buy oven chips because they are healthier than frying up a load yourself (and I don't have a fryer!)

Mash, roasties, all that I do from scratch. Things like fajitas though I get the spice mix then do the rest.

It's so satisfying to produce a meal from scratch!

7. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

I used to love cooking until we got into the frozen food business. As my OH is a workaholic the little time I do see him we end up talking about food so it's kind of put me off cooking now :(

8. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Me and OH love doing our own homemade food :D We're dab hands at a full on roast, stews and various dishes from the Wagamama cookbook :p

9. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, how's it homemade if you got it from the butcher?, modest with it?, we had turkey and chips for dinner, I hate chips but the OH likes them so I made some!, I really like spaghetti and meatballs. wayne.

10. Gilly and Jess

Some do, some don't then? Funny isn't it, how some people get a kick out of producing something nice, others aren't bothered, lol.

I dig a good lasagne like, love making it. Has to be a self made cheese sauce tho. I've tried loads of recipes in recent months, always try the original recipe then tweak it a bit second time around. I've got a hairy bikers cookbook, and I am to get more, there are some cracking recipes in them.

Made my own scones the other week, using buttermilk instead of ordinary milk. Made them lovely and moist!

I really enjoy cooking, personally. I find it really satisfying to produce something tasty I've made myself instead of peeling off a cardboard wrapper and throwing it in the microwave. :D

11. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

Hmmm I guess it's 'handmade' really. Basically, it's full of lovely fresh ingredients and made on the premises that morning, not brought in frozen from a factory.

12. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

I mainly cook fresh - from when my kids were weaned they always had home made food - and they are all good eaters - not fussy and eat fresh fruit and veg.

I like cooking trraditional food - roasts, casseroles, shepherds pie etc...however I do also cook some pretty mean curries and chillis.....when cooking for friends I like to push the boat out and get a good old Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay cook book out...and Delias Christmas book is our bible for that time of the year,...

13. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

I like making baked vegetable risotto as you can just put it in the oven and leave it and it's delish.

Just chop up onion, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, asparagus, and whatever other veg you want to put in it. Put them in an oven dish with some butter and roast them for a bit just to soften them up.

Then chuck in stock, risotto rice, and some white wine and pour it over the roasted veg and leave it for about half an hour.

Get it out of the oven grate some cheese into it and stir it in and then serve with some garlic bread. It's very nice and you don't have to faff around standing over it and stirring it.

14. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I love cooking and prefer to make stuff myself.

I think potatoes are great, they are soo versatile.
    You can buy a bag of potatoes and with abit of effort and time have a different meal every day of the week :D

So I`m all for home cooking :D

15. davidc

davidc PetForums VIP

I like cooking anything from a recipe book, if I've got the ingredients in or can substitute them easily.
    But I prefer baking.
    My favourite is the jam and cream sponge. Last time I made it, I forgot the recipe slightly and made it double the size!!!! :eek:

I did make some truffles for Mothers Day once from a recipe in That's Life magazine which everybody liked - too well (myself included) - I had too make some more. :rolleyes: Shame I don't have that recipe anymore.

16. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Love cooking, made tuna and sweetcorn fritters tonight for tea! Made kfc chicken last week, homemade spaghetti Bol, loads!

I do use easy frozen foods at times but I really do love cooking

17. Gilly and Jess

Cooking, baking, I can have loads of fun with both.

Jamie Oliver's chocolate brownie that he made on the 30 minute meals program is luuuuuuuush!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice