Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home made dog coat - no pictures yet

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GingerRogers, Nov 28, 2012.

1. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

On Sunday I was relaxing in a cosy pub with friends when our vet joined us, she is a friend of a friend, with her lovely rescue lurcher. Lovely lurcher was wearing a very fetching fleece coat in pink with hearts and vet was clutching a matching blanket. Oh, I thought, there goes someone who likes spending money on dog accessories ;).

Not at all she had made the coat out of a 99p fleece throw and the blanket was the left over.

What she did, she says, was sew a sort of tube (snood anyone??) out of a long thin rectangle to go over the head, then partially sew this (perhaps 2/3 round) to a larger dog back sized rectangle, then stitch a very thin 'strap' length to the back again about 2/3 down. You slipped the snood tube over the head and then looped the strap under and over and tied it off. It was sort of like a posh equafleece with matching blanket.

I was very impressed so much so I have actually managed to convince OH to let me practice on a brown checked job we have at home unused (there may even be enough left over to try the 'no sew' dog bed posted last week). If I do (and if it is successful) I will post photo's (if not I won't :p). He has previously been very against dog coats but when I explained how the ninja was shaking after a walk in the rain then and then an hours session with the behaviorist in the rain, he relented :eek: :D.

I am using brown checked as the vets husband was less than pleased ;) we did point out that if they had kids and a girl then he would probably manage but he wasn't convinced.

2. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

Ever since i got Charlie i've got quite into making dog clothing (all practical stuff ofc!) because she is so small, has such short thin hair and really hates the wet and cold :( but to make things awkward she is such an unusual shape that no typical coats fit her properly :rolleyes:
    So far i've made 2 fleecy coats, one was made from an old hoody for the outer and then an old pink fleece dressing gown to make a nice fleecy lining, i used the cuff of the hoody as a polo neck and then a little concealed belly strap with poppers to hold it in place :) so technically that was free as those pieces of clothing would of gone in the bin otherwise!
    Second coat i used a £3 blue fleece blanket from Wilko and made a cardboard template to her measurements (thought i'd make it properly rather than just improvising :p) then cut out 4 layers to make each side double thickness, made a belly strap and unpicked some velcro from an old coat that doesn't fit either of them to stitch onto the bit at front and belly strap :)
    So that one cost £3 total and i use it most days :D

Both of them were entirely hand-stitched too :yikes: but i'm asking for a sewing machine and lots of fabrics and stuff for christmas so i can make more and better ones :D

3. GingerRogers

Well I had a little go, would have taken less than 1/2 hour had my sewing machine worked, not used it for ages and the motor is jammed, whirrs the needle round at a rate of one poke per minute :rolleyes: so decided to do it by hand as its small but then the only sewing needle I could find was rusty at the eye end so I had to yank it through each thread.

Please bear in mind this is definitely a prototype and I think it could do with some shape/longer body perhaps and of course a much nicer girly fabric ;) I had substandard equipment and couldn't be bothered to find the dressmaking scissors so used the small kitchen ones hence the lines aren't very straight :eek:

The first stage Ginge actually needed a long neck rectangle and a square body piece although n reflection it could have been slightly elongated
    [​IMG]

The second stage where I have sewn the long neck rectangle into a tube/snood. Ginge wanted to get in on this one :)
    [​IMG]

Almost done just needs the strap attaching.
    [​IMG]

I will have another go and make it better, some day :rolleyes:, for now it will do to keep her a bit warmer when needed.
    [​IMG]

Not quite sure she likes it :p but she is happy with the leftovers as a blanket, not for long :devil:
    [​IMG]

Looks like a dressing gown :eek:
    [​IMG]

4. astara

astara PetForums Senior

aww thats awsome wish i could do that but dont think i be any good :D

5. Lil Doglets

Thought i'd get some pics of the ones i made too :)

This one's a bit strange lol, i just improvised it and made adjustments after :p

[​IMG]

It has a hidden belly strap to hold it in place, not really sure why i made it like that :eek:

[​IMG]

This is the blue fleece, was the only pics i could get before my camera died :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one needs some adjustments, like some bigger pieces of velcro to hold it on better, and when i get sewing machine i'll put a nice edging on it :)

6. GingerRogers

The second pic looks like a superhero cape :)

7. Lil Doglets

Haha i actually refer to it as her 'snuggly cape thing' :D

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Bless Ginge; she'll come round to the idea when she realises she's cosier I'm sure - I think it's very good :D. There are some very creative folk on here!

9. GingerRogers

I don't think she really minded it she was quite happy with me trying it on her as I made it. She just looks very unhappy in the middle photo of her wearing it, lol :p am I mean laughing at her.

10. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice