UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya :)

Just after a bit of advice...

We're getting a new boiler fitted a week tomorrow, full system flush as well which means they'll need access to each radiator in the house (every room) and we're been told its a full day job (about 8/9 hours)

I'm just wondering whats best to do with my kitten, she'll be 12 weeks old next week.

My mam has offered to have her for the day at her house, or my dad has offered to come to our house for the day to oversee everything and make sure she doesnt escape.

Would she settle in a strange house for the day or not? As this would be the easier option. She knows my mam and dad well and is comfortable around them as they're come over every day to feed and play with her while i'm at work...I'm just not sure if being in new surroundings will stress her?

Thanks for any advice :)

Attachments

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
I'd probably say that as the workmen will require back and forth access to every room, (as they balance the heating system) I'd send kitty away for the day to your mum's house, as it would be less stressful for her.

·
Registered
329 Posts
my experience of workmen fixing things etc... they ALWAYS leave all the doors open, including the front door :mad:

I'd send her off for the day seeing as you have someone who will take her in

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

Are cats ok with going to new surroundings for the day? Sorry for the daft question but she's my first cat so i'm still learning!!

Thats one of my fears, that the door will be open and she'll run out - she sits on at my glass patio door every day now, i think she's just looking for an opportunity.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would take her to your mums but have her confined to one quiet room there, like a spare bedroom! Surround her with all her own stuff and as she's with people she knows, she should be fine!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Do you have the chance to visit your mums beforehand with your kitten? To sit and have a cuppa with you there in the new surroundings and take her favourite toys.

We were going to have our walls insulated, so for a couple of weeks before I took our kitten every other day for an hour to my in laws. This worked perfectly, no stress. They are now cat sitters for both of them, a one week holiday away for us and a weeks holiday at the I laws for them. We just top them up with an occasional visit to keep them ok with the surroundings, smells and family.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm definately going with taking her to my mams...OH has just arranged for our loft insulation to take place on the same day (was supposed to be following day) so there'll be at least 4 strangers in my house!

I like the idea of taking her over for a 'visit' but not sure I'll have the opportunity...getting her into her carrier isnt something I look forward to, I feel too guilty! I do have to take her for her 2nd injections on Monday though so I could call on my way home from the vets...unless its too much stress!

When I take her for the day I am thinking of staying with her for an hour anyways so if not I hope this will be enought and she'll forgive me eventually! :)

Thanks again x

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ps in regards to litter & food, am I best to take the bowls & tray she uses on a daily basis or my spares? Not sure whether she will prefer her own scent on them or will this confuse things?

Thanks x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.