Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home-cooking advice

Discussion in 'Dog Services' started by joethevet, Apr 16, 2020.

1. joethevet

joethevet PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for dog owners who currently home-cook or are interested in giving it a try. I've set up a free resource called VetChef (at vetchef co uk) where you can enter details of your dog and get a bespoke menu plan for your them based on their individual requirements and preferences.
    The idea is to try and make home-cooking more scientific and nutritionally accurate, so people can feed their dogs healthy, fresh food at home and know they're meeting all their nutritional requirements.
    I'd be really interested to get feedback on the idea as well, so please have a look and let me know what you think!
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Just a couple of questions. Why isn't Joe and Jack's dog food mentioned as previous food projects previously? I mean you clearly are affiliated with it.

Am probably being pedantic but I would rather you explain why calcium phosphoros ratio needs to be right, vitally important for growing pups. Even more so in those giant breed ones so growth is slow and steady. I do thing this needs mentioning though just have calcium and phosphorus in foods the ratio needs to be correct for puppies and more so for those giant puppies. I couldn't extrapolate what you said from talk of calcium and phosphorus

3. joethevet

I didn't quote Joe & Jack's as I've not been involved with it for many years so I didn't think it was very relevant.
    I appreciate your point on the calcium phosphorus ratio and the importance of it with larger breeds etc - I'll update the information and try to cover the subject in more detail as soon as I can.
    Thanks

lullabydream likes this.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Are you a Vet?

wee man likes this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

@Rafa I think he is.

Is this endeavour not a direct competition to Tails.com which I believe you helped found?

6. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Unfortunately very few of our vets are nutritionists. Their actual knowledge about our dogs food requirements can be very limited.

http://rawfed.com/myths/vets.html

#6 wee man, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  7. joethevet

Yes I am a vet, and although I did found tails, I've since come to the view that feeding fresh, home-prepared food can be a better way of feeding if done properly. Tails is perfectly fine but I just think the future is more in fresh food than processed.

8. joethevet

Just to let you know I've updated the calcium blog post to cover ca/p ratios - hope that's all clearer now.

niamh123 and lullabydream like this.
  9. fffd

fffd PetForums Newbie

I am glad to see another company that offers the option of providing dogs with safe home cooked food. Perhaps it will be an emerging market, albeit a slow one.

I have fed my dogs fresh cooked food for some time and feel that it provides excellent nutrition. Although I have cooked for them in the past they have commercially prepared fresh food. It is expensive but for health reasons, worth the outlay.

There is another, similar company that offers recipes and sells the necessary supplements. Is yours similar? I cannot fully discern your business model but it appears to be consultation based. Please can you advise?

10. joethevet

Thanks for your feedback. There's no business model as it's just an advice service to provide personalised recipes for dog owners who want to cook at home - particularly at the moment while everyone is stuck at home. We may look at a premium version in the future if there's demand, but for now it's all totally free - just something I'm keen on and happy to contribute for the wider good of dogs. If you'd like me to create some recipes for your dogs, just fill out the form on the site.

11. fffd

fffd PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am pleased that you are taking this on board because I am a huge fan of fresh cooked food for dogs but at the moment there isn’t much choice. My two are doing very well, particularly the old one who had health issues. They are on 60% meat with low carbohydrate which suits them well. They have no problems at all with weight control and poos are small and firm. Teeth are clean, breath fresh and they don’t build up plaque and tartar (I do brush though). Another good thing is that the dog gets variety.

I believe that your service could be particularly helpful for dogs with health problems and/or dietary intolerance. Finding commercial food for things like this can be an (expensive) minefield.

12. joethevet

Glad to hear how well your dogs are doing on a home-cooked diet. I agree that variety is one of the real plus points of a homemade diet - and I'm very happy to create some more recipes for you to add to their mix if that would be useful?

13. joethevet

Just to let you know, if there are any key worker dog owners in the Stroud area who'd like a delicious meal cooking for their dog for free to say thanks for everything they're doing, just let me know their details (including the dog's age, weight, dietary and health issues) and I'll deliver!

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

What a kind offer. I just wish we could take you up on it .:)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice