Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home cooked

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lilylass, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Just typed a whole post and lost it

I'm at my wit's end with Darcy - she doesn't like kibble (have tried various flavours and soaked & she'll eat it for a few days or not even touch it)

She did eat wet and would have a few days when she didn't eat a lot & would have a couple of days on raw & then go back to the wet - she's not eating either just now

I'm at the point of not caring what she eats as long as it's regularly and consistent

I've always avoided home cooked as worried about getting the balance right but no idea what else to try

Any thoughts please

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

How's her body condition?

Am only asking because my first dog was a terrier that practically lived on fresh air. He maintained weight though. My vet said he was allowed to be fussy because he was a terrier! It was honestly me stressing more than anything. He wasn't food motivated at all.

I think if she's eating enough, although she's still young it's hard for you as you want her to eat. Plus you are so used to a Greedy lab, it probably doesn't help.

She might just be a dog that needs one meal a day, not ideal if she's still under 1 but then she hasn't read the text book.

Torin. and Lilylass like this.
  3. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Yeah a fusspot was a whole new experience;)

She's lean, but I'd say Ideal body weight

I think it is because she's young & still growing that I worry she's not getting enough nutrition when she doesn't eat for a couple of days

Torin. likes this.
  4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Lilylass likes this.
  5. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't know the product specifically and it doesn't say on the PS link there, but if you can google to check the dosages of the nutrients included vs dog RDAs before you buy, I would. There was a... thing... a couple of years ago regarding the biggest most recommended brand of small animal supplements that a majority of people used at great cost. Basically it was discovered that although their supplements contained a wide range of nutrients, the dosages were practically homeopathic at the recommended amount. I hadn't been using the brand exposed for some years, but it's made me more skeptical in double checking the maths of other supplements :)

caterpiller and Lilylass like this.
  7. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

It's a nightmare, having a pup that won't eat. Currently have him on a supplement from Amazon, as a way of getting him to eat and it seems to be working! Worth trying something similar? I was worried he was looking a bit out of sorts, but a couple of weeks on this and he's much improved, he's got his sparkle back!
    VetIQ Nutri-Vit Plus Vitamin Energiser Paste for Dogs, 100 g

Lilylass likes this.
  8. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Thanks & will do

Torin. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice