Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home Check

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by leannelatty, Aug 18, 2009.

1. leannelatty

leannelatty PetForums VIP

Hi guys,

adopting my 1st puppy hopefully on saturday (as some of you may know!). the rescue are coming to do a home check and will be leaving the pup with me if all is ok. i was just wondering what i should be expecting from the home check so i can be a bit prepared.

2. rona

rona Guest

The one I had was pretty laid back.
    They just check your garden safety and that you are prepared for dog ownership, mine liked it because I didn't have anything breakable at dog or dog tail height :D
    What type of pup are you hoping to get?

3. leannelatty

i havent actually got a garden. is this going to pose a problem? i did tell them that at the rescue. the puppy is a cocker spaniel - 12weeks old. i also have 2 cats. what sort of questions will they ask?

4. rona

rona Guest

Just basic dog care questions, your expected routines and how you think the dog is going to fit into your life.
    If they know about the lack of garden then this shouldn't be an issue

5. leannelatty

thank you. if thats what they are going to ask then all should be ok. im really nervous! im hoping that everything goes nice and smoothly. i may not have a garden but i do live next door to miles and limes of marshes. perfect for long (hopefully off the lead) walks.

6. rona

rona Guest

Fingers crossed for you :)

7. good luck with the home check

8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

if they know you havnt got a garden you should be fine when we got our rescue nearly 8yrs ago (li was still living with my parents) they just came to see the house and garden that was about it really. chatted to us abit i guess just to get a feel for us.

No rescue here will let us rescue because we have no garden :( but we have two gorgeous pups now

9. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

When we had a homecheck years ago, the woman kept asking "Is this your cat?" to every stray mog that walked in.

I had to keep replying, "Nope. This one belongs to next door."..."This one lives in the next street"..."This one lives across the way and 3 doors down".

At the time, I fed every cat that walked into my house (patio doors always open).

She (the homecheck woman) said that she had never seen so many cats walk into one person's house!

We passed the homecheck anyway...although goodness knows how as we were looking at getting a dog.

Moral of the story...they just want to know you are an animal lover! Good luck :)

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I do homechecks regually and the one question we ask ourselves is 'would I leave my own dog here?'. If no then I'm afraid it's a fail but if yes then anything else (like no garden, working owners, young kids) etc are not as important. To me I go off my gut feelings, I generally feel that if someone has taken the time to research getting a rescue and is happy to have their home and family 'inspected' then they are half way there!

I find it a bit odd they are bringing the puppy to leave if you pass? That's abit cruel if for some reason they fail you. Not something I'd be happy to do.

I suspect they might be quiet harsh with you over the lack of garden because it's a puppy you are rehoming but I assume you don't work so can't see it being a major issue. I certainly wouldn't pass a working home with no garden for a puppy but would have no problem for an older dog. Good luck I'm sure you'll do fine.

11. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

The RSPCA here do not let you rehome a dog without a garden. However we were allowed to rehome a cat when we lived in a flat.

When we had our check, it was very laid back, she checked our garden and told us we needed a padlock on the gate, and then we just had an informal chat about whether we had, had a dog before and whether there would be someone at home all day etc.

We thankfully passed.

12. leannelatty

They suggested to me to have a puppy as i have 2 cats. i was quite happy to rehome any dog of any breed as long as they thought it was suitable. i do work but only very locally and only part time twice a week for 3 hours. the reason they are bringing the puppy is that they are coming from quite a long distance to do the hojme check but i can see what you mean about me meeting and falling in love with her then they might take her away. :( im hoping that once they meet my cats and see how happy and healthy they are they will see how well i will look after a puppy. im so excited and nervous now that i couldnt bear it if they so no! have spent the week trying to "puppy proof" my flat. ive even chosen her name so hope they say yes yes yes! they is a communal garden area and i live right next door to miles and miles of fields and marshlands. do you think they will find this adequate? i have to say thank you to evryone for there help and advice. this is definately the most helpful site ive found.

13. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Good luck with your home check :)

14. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

If it's their suggestion then I can't see why they'd fail you! ;) A communal garden is just as good as having your own (except you'll have to pooh pick straight away..which I know I don't do having my own garden!!:D). Sounds all positive to me, fingers crossed but I honestly can't see a reason why they won't be leaving the puppy with you. ;)

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Good luck, got my fingers crossed for you :D

Try to relax a bit too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice