Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home boarding

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by doggilover, Aug 9, 2019.

1. doggilover

doggilover PetForums Junior

Would a home Boarder be expected to groom a long haired dog in their care?

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I would expect so depending on the texture of the coat. I have 2 wire-haired dogs, one has a soft, silky coat that needs combing out daily to remove grass seeds etc, and they both need faces washing daily as food gets trapped in their beards causing tangles. But clipping , stripping etc I wouldn't expect, just general maintenance grooming.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

As it's part of caring for a dog then yes. Grass seeds can be very dangerous
    However, there are a huge amount of seeds at the moment and if was just some seeds in the coat when picked up, it may show that the dog has been having good walks

SusieRainbow likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes. My dog goes to home boarding when we are on holiday. He is a long haired tibetan terrier. The day before he goes into boarding, we always send him to the groomer so that he is clean and fresh smelling for the boarder's home

He arrives mat free in tip top condition. I send all his combs, brushes, detangling spray and he has been in 2 different boarding homes now and has always come home mat free. They havent bathed him and i dont expect them to - but they give him a daily brush and comb and he comes back looking pretty good.

rona and SusieRainbow like this.
  5. Yorkey

Yorkey PetForums Junior

I guess some dog border have this kind of service, especially for a long period boarding life, many kinds of the dog always long hairy.
    In Leicester, there is a 5 rating border named Home Pet Boarding @ Wigston LE18 support a home visit, you can consult first.
    Many boarding support a home visit service, so call them in advance will be better.
    Other things you'd better know before choosing a boarding home:
    1. Enough individual space for every pet
    2. Clean and comfortable environment
    3. Entertainment and food
    4. Medical support

6. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

The November 2018 Guidance Notes to Conditions 5.3, 7.1 and 9.11 of the 2018 Regulations all mention grooming. In my opinion, every home dog boarder should be doing this as a matter of routine. We certainly do at Gail's Home Dog Boarding in Morecambe!

Surely if your dog boarder refused to do this they would be failing to meet the animal welfare regulations?

(And as I write this my wife is gently untangling the ear hair of a beautiful working cocker called Maisie!)

7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I would say yes. We always groomed dogs at the kennels where I used to work.

David Hendra likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice