Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home Alone

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Marv, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Marv

Marv PetForums Newbie

We are taking a little vacation and will be away for about 4 days. This means our cat might be on his own during that time. My concern will be, is this bad for him and he will act up during his time alone? Am I going to come home to shredded sheets and towels? He has a cat fountain water bowl that holds 100oz of water and it is constantly being filtered and a 5 day auto meal thing so those two things wont be a problem. Thanks in advance.

2. rottiesloveragdolls

not being funny but you are joking about leaving this kitten alone for 4 days :eek: surely theres someone that will come in and play with him clean the litter tray ect? or take him to a cattery to be looked after?

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

I certainly wouldn't be leaving any animals alone for that amount of time whether they had enough food and water down or not. :confused:

4. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Apart from the lack of social input i'd be afraid the automatic feeder malfunctioned :(

dipdog likes this.
  5. Marv

Marv PetForums Newbie

Only person we can ask that we trust in our home is my mother who he has tried to kill twice now. Our cat is a little weird, anyone who is not us, he sees as a mortal enemy that he must at all cost destroy. We even had a vet refuse to see him because as she said "Your cat is way to violent" and we just laugh because he is the most loving cat I have ever had. So either way we have a major problem. Niether of want him to be alone that long, but we can take him. :(

6. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

is there no neighbour that can help? just to check all is well? i have left our kitty but my daughter checked on her every day to make sure all was well xx

7. Marv

Marv PetForums Newbie

I have no one to the left of me and the people to the right of me just moved in like a month ago and we have never spoken. It is a really rough situation for us and his mama (my mrs) is going stir crazy over this. So we really dont know what to do, we thought about the pet motels around town, but since all he will try and do is attack everyone the whole time, I know that cant be good for him.

I was thinking if we just block him off in part of the house then my mother can pop over safely and make sure he is doing ok. But then I am worried if he only has limited space to two rooms, he might get to bored and his mountain of toys wont be enough for him. This sucks and I dont want him being deprived.

8. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

dothe kitty hotel hun just explain how he can be im sure he will be fine better than being hal xx

9. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

I agree. I would put him in the kitty hotel. You could take your autofeeder for them to use in there if it would make you feel better. But I think for your own peace of mind and your cats safety, he really needs to have social contact (even if he doesn't want it) and someone to keep an eye that all is well. I am pretty sure that the staff at the cattery will have had plenty of experience looking after cats of all different personalities and will know the best way to handle him, or will learn very quickly.
    You will enjoy your holiday so much more if you know he is somewhere secure with someone keeping an eye that all is well.
    TC

10. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

I know its a tough situation, but you cannot leave a kitten alone for that amount of time.
    I highly doubt your kitten could 'kill' your mother, when you adopted the kitten you made a commitment... You will have to at least make sure that someone checks the water and food dispenser each day... at the very least...

p.s. I really don't mean to sound brash but it's better than replying to a post about how your kitten died after the food dispenser didn't work

11. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I wouldn't trust a cat feeder for anything more than an overnight trip. What if the batteries run out or what happens if there is a mechanical fault and it breaks? He could be without food for up to 4 days.

You need a pet sitter.

As for your vet saying your cat is way too violent and refusing to treat it, I'm sorry but either you misunderstood or that vet needs to have their license revoked. My friend has been a veterinary nurse for over 20 years and she has said they have never and would never refuse to treat an animal with aggression issues. There is ALWAYS a way around it. The only reason they have ever refused to treat an animal is when the owner had already built up a $5,000 tab and had no intention of paying. If the dog was in pain they woudl have but he brought the dog in to have it's nails clipped!!

12. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

I'd never leave my cat alone for 4 days. The risk leaving her suffering from illness or injury without treatment for days would prevent me from doing that alone. Are there any pet sitting services in your area?

13. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

like already said, when you took on your cat you made a commitment to look after them or to make sure there is somebody responsible for their care if you are not able to do it yourself, and to consider going away for 4 days and leave the cat alone with a water fountain and food dispenser is beyond words.

would you leave a child home alone?? the cat didnt ask for you to look after it, you chose it.

a cattery or kitty hotel would be experienced in care of many different temperments and they would cope, that would be the better option instead of leaving your poor kitty alone for the 4 days

and as for the vet refusing to treat your cat, i'd change vets!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice