Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Home alone

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MrsRoyKeane, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MrsRoyKeane

MrsRoyKeane PetForums Newbie

Hi there guys.
    I'm an experienced dog owner. I have 3 shihtzus and all I can tell you is they let me live with them! Lol
    I've just gone thru a divorce. My husband and I were to share custody of the dogs but the stand up guy that he is, he left them with me. That was 1 yr ago. I came out of work to look after them. Thing is, I need to go back to work. They are 14, 14 and 6. They have been together since they were born. They play together and sleep together. My question is this:

If I go back to work. Leave fresh food and water out for them and leave access to outside for toilet needs, can I leave them alone for 8 hours. My neighbour has said she will check in on them on a daily basis. I'm sinking fast here and would love your advice guys.
    Thanks in advance

2. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

Hi!
    Sorry to hear about the situation, sounds like you do want to keep them and make it work?
    As long as it is SAFE to give them outdoors access (i.e no one can get into your property or the garden, I'm thinking dog theft) then I think that sounds great. Especially if you have a neighbour who's happy to check on them.
    My only concern would be have they been left much before? If not you might have to build up to this, I wouldn't just try it on a whim.
    I leave my dog for up to 8 hours some days and she is fine, she gets a 30 min walk before I leave, plus my husband will have let her out for toilet a couple of times before I even get up as he leaves early. I leave the tv on quiet and she has puzzle balls with treats in to occupy her for a bit.

rona likes this.
  3. MrsRoyKeane

Yea absolutely. They're like my kids.
    I have an enclosed balcony 8 floors up so theft is not a problem. When my husband and I were together we left them daily to go to work. Again, a neighbour checked up on them. They are well used to their own company. A million thanks for the reply. You think it would be ok?

4. MaggiesMom

ps- I meant to add, as long as they don't get stressed about being left, then it's more worrying for us than them ;)
    I borrowed a pet cam when I first went back full time (I was previously part time after being off with mental health issues, built my hours back up) to check and found my dog plays with her toys in the morning then sleeps or watches the world go by out the window. This reassured me a lot to know she wasn't anxious (or even missing me!)

rona likes this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

The main thing that would concern me with your situation is the fact that two of them are very elderly. What's going to happen if they become ill?

Lovely that a neighbour will keep an eye, but could they and would they be willing to get them to a vet should the need arise, also what happens if one of your oldies gets wet?

Could you possibly afford someone to pop in to check on them a couple of times a day?

Sorry to add more stress and I'm very sympathetic to your plight but .........................

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Have you considered a dog walker to pop in during the day to break up the 8 hours?

I work full time and leave my two during the day but return home at lunch to let them out for toilet and if I cant get home (like today) then someone else will let them out.

Lurcherlad and MrsRoyKeane like this.
  7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Actually, this may solve the problem, you could keep an eye on them yourself :)

Lurcherlad and MrsRoyKeane like this.
  8. fiftyinfive

fiftyinfive PetForums Newbie

I just registered to say this!! I think they will be fine

Sorry to hear about your divorce :(

TV or radio left on would be excellent!

MrsRoyKeane likes this.
  9. MrsRoyKeane

Both older dogs dogs are in great health. My neighbour will pop in a few times a day. If needs be she could take to a vet. I can also purchase a pet cam to keep an eye on them

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  10. MaggiesMom

Ahh well as long as your balcony is secure and safe I think it sounds fine. Obviously leave some snacks and plenty of water. I think we work ourselves up more thinking about it when the reality is that unless they have seperation anxiety , they're often not too bothered, especially if they are used to going for periods of time on their own. Plus they have each other.

fiftyinfive likes this.
  11. MrsRoyKeane

Thanks a million. This has really eased my mind. Thank you

12. MrsRoyKeane

You have no idea how much you've helped me. Thank you so much for taking time to reply. Xxx

fiftyinfive likes this.
  13. MaggiesMom

aw no problem! hope it all works out x

14. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

They should be absolutely grand being left especially if they are used to it :) having the out door access Will also be good especially two of them being 14 as I know with our family Lhasa apso he wasn't being able to hold it just as long as when he was younger,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice