Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Holly's been through the wars again

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sairy, May 21, 2017.

1. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Just got back from a trip to the emergency vets. Last Saturday evening Holly started limping a little intermittently. We kept an eye on it, but by Sunday morning she seemed ok so we put it down to perhaps a sore paw or something. Been fine all week, going on walks as normal. Then last night she started limping again, but again not a constant limp - almost like she was walking and every now and again something pinched her so she would go into a scuttle and skip around.

I had a feel of her and found a lump in between her abdomen and the hind leg that she had been limping on. This morning she was doing it even more and also licking her lips so obviously not happy so I took her into the vets.

Vet reckons it's a torn muscle and that the lump is where the muscles have knotted and fluid has collected. She did have an accident a few weeks ago where she was running around on a walk, slipped on some mud and crashed into the corner of a wooden bridge (the corner of the bridge hit the hind leg that is now bothering her). It obviously hurt her and she spent a few minutes apologising to everyone as she always does when she hurts herself, but then carried on as normal so we thought she was OK.

Vet has given her some anti-inflammatories and said to give her plenty of rest and only gentle exercise. Taking her back in on Wednesday to see how she is doing.

2017 is definitely not Holly's year!

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Get Well soon Holly.

Sairy likes this.
  3. CrazydogsX2

CrazydogsX2 PetForums Senior

hope she is feeling better soon *hugs* for Holly x

Sairy likes this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Awww poor Holly! Get well soon x

Sairy likes this.
  5. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Oh no, poor Holly! I hope she's feeling better soon xx

Sairy likes this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Poor Holly

Hope she feels better soon. As you say definitely not her year so far, bless her

Sairy likes this.
  7. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Oh no, your poor girl! We're keeping all fingers and paws crossed that she recovers well

Sairy likes this.
  8. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Poor girly, hope she feel so much better soon x

Sairy likes this.
  9. winter

winter PetForums Senior

Poor Holly, hope she's better soon.

Sairy likes this.
  10. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Ouch that sounds sore. Hope the rest and the anti inflammatories sort her out.

Sairy likes this.
  11. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

Hope Holly gets back to her normal self very soon.

Sairy likes this.
  12. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Ouch! Poor Holly - hope she recovers quickly.

Thought I'd mention the canine massage guild http://www.k9-massageguild.co.uk/ - they can be great for helping soft tissue injuries.

Burrowzig and Sairy like this.
  13. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Thanks. The vet did mention the possibility of hydrotherapy as well. Massage sounds like a good idea.

14. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Sara does hydro once a month, and it has noticeably improved her back end; her hips used to click and pop when she walked, now she trots like a prize winning pony and there's no more clicking or popping. It's improved her stamina too, for when she does a runner...

Sairy and MiffyMoo like this.
  15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, once the initial inflamation has died down and the muscle healing.

Sairy likes this.
  16. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Despite feeling poorly, she's still in guarding mode!

Matrod and MiffyMoo like this.
  17. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

Sending lots of hugs!
    I know dogs and people are different but I had a similar accident in February, which involved me injuring my shoulder in a similar way. I wasn't in any pain until a few days after the incident, and it ended up being very badly inflamed (shoulder is still not normal) hope that it doesn't end up like this in Holly's case!
    Micheie is sending lots of love and well wishes too.

Sairy likes this.
  18. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Thanks both of you. Yes it's strange how things can not show up until a while later. Poor Holly's had one thing after another this year, all completely unrelated as well.

winterrose likes this.
  19. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Update...

We took Holly to the vets again this afternoon as I just wasn't happy. She seemed so miserable and we noticed that a similar lump had developed next to the other leg. She had also been licking the area a lot and had made herself red raw (this happened during the day today whilst my OH was sleeping from her night shift and I was at work).

We saw a different vet, who was unsure so she called a more experienced vet in and he had a good feel and said the lumps felt like they could be swollen inguinal nodes. Upon further inspection, the parts where she had been licking are actually an infection so the vet thinks this is what caused the nodes to be swollen. This would also potentially explain her hobbling around as it's presumably chafing a little and sore when she gets up.

They have given her a course of antibiotics and she is cone-bound when on her own once again as she tends to mutilate herself when we aren't around to stop her. I really hope that this is the answer and that it's not her joints.

Below is a video of her in the garden this evening. She seems fine pottering around (see what you think, but she seems to me to be quite comfortable walking) until about 15 seconds in when you see her suddenly hobble and grab her back end. She wasn't grabbing her back end before, just doing the hobble as if she was dancing on hot coals.

""

20. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Poor girl, let's hope the diagnosis is correct and she'll be better soon

Sairy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice