UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like Rona, I have been a bit worried about Holly, she seems to be showing her age more.
This morning she was sleepy and not interested in her breakfast, she just lay in front of the fire.
Until OH put on his outdoor shoes to go into the garden, that was different, she had a run and chased her tail, checked all her holes and later wanted her walk.
I think maybe she was like me and fed up with the dreary weather.

This is her after her walk in her favourite position.
It I had not got gray hair already she would give it to me

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Bless her!

I do think everyone's fed up with this dreary weather though, it's just miserable, and depressing when we think it's probably going to last for a few more months yet - but, let's try and stay positive, it's not bitterly cold here today and there's no wind, so my lot enjoyed their walk this morning, and I can cope with muddy dogs, got used to them after all these years!

I hate it when our dogs get old and start to show signs of slowing down, we just have to cherish the time we have. I'll never ever understand how people give up their old dogs into rescue to make way for a new one. Golden oldies are so special, I love them.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
She looks very comfy! :) How old is she now then? Nibs does NOT like the cold weather, he's slow to get going but then he's fine and he's only 6! Sounds like Holly was pulling your leg! ;)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It's worrying when they start slowing down, I'm glad Holly just seems to have taken exception to the weather!!

Our eldest is around 13/14 now and having been a remarkable specimen for his age for years all of a sudden it seems to have caught up with him and he's really slowed down. It really hits me when I look at old photos of him and can see just how much he's changed :(

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She has now eaten her tea and it did not touch the sides.
She is certainly slowing down but as she is 16 I should expect it. A little dog at 7 is still in his prime but for a large dog 7 is getting on. Holly is 17inches so I suppose she is medium.

I hate the fact she is getting old and slowing down.

Thank you for your comments

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is a lot brighter this morning, but then, so is the weather.
It is sunny and calm and she has been out in the garden chasing her tail and breakfast did not touch the sides.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm glad Holly is brighter today, I think this weather is enough to make any of us just want to curl up in front of the fire :)

I know how not nice it is watching them change as they get older, our Lassie had her first stroke at around 17 years and we thought we'd lost her then but she lived very happily until she was 21, yes it was a slower, calmer and less excited life but she still enjoyed every waking moment (there were far more sleeping moments ;) ) even if her enjoyment was just snoozing in front of the fire, she was still happy :)

Titch went blind and deaf in the last couple of years of her life but she too still enjoyed life, as long as we didn't move anything in the house she got round fine, people couldn't believe that she could barely see, her walks were all on lead but she loved sniffing and nosing about.

I'm not really sure what the point is in all that I've waffled there, I think probably that like humans, dogs lives change as they get older but they can still enjoy their lives, just at a slower pace and getting more enjoyment out of having a nap in front of the fire rather than a race round the fields. :)

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that. It is nice to read about other oldies. I would love Holly to reach 21 but who knows. Your girls must have had a lovely home to stay around so long.

·
Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)
26,063 Posts
bless her..shes a little darling. So glad to hear shes picked up, she looks wonderful for such a fantastic age:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.