Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Holly a little overweight!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jackie C, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Holly went for her yearly booster the other day, and weighs in at 4.02kg, and the vets says she's overweight. When we first rescued her two years ago, she was 3.5kg, so was a bit too small. A year later 3.76kg, and now she's 250g heavier, which is a lot for weight gain in a year for a cat. The vet wants her to lose 250g.

I don't think she's that bad. Yes, she is only a small cat and I agree that putting on that much weight needs to be tackled, as it's easier to tackle it now, whilst it's only a 250g she needs to lose, rather than her continuing to put weight on.

I'd say, looking at this chart, she was between 3 and 4. She still has a waist-line if you look at her from above, but she's not tucked in like no 3, and does have a little underbelly that you can feel near her back end. But she's not got a belly like no 4.
    Q2FPH.png

The vet said she was nearly obese, which I certainly don't think she is!! She IS closer to no 4, but her belly doesn't hang as much, and I can feel her ribs as they're as described in 4. But her belly isn't as big.

I agree with the vet in that she shouldn't put on anymore weight, and it's easier to tackle now, I think how she was a year ago would be the minimum I'd want her, though. Plus, I wouldn't want her putting on 250g a year (although I don't think she would).

The vet says it's easier for cats who are placid to put on weight, as they're not running on nervous energy. Holly IS placid, and very chilled.

Anyway, it's diet time!!!

She has 4 Dreamies on a night when I go to bed. That is now dropping to 2. Occasional Dreamie treat in the day: stopped.
    She has a sprinkling of dry when we have our tea, as she like to eat with us. (She has very few dry rubbish, anyway, I never leave her it down). OH always does too many, so portion control on that, and probably stopping it all together.
    Play sessions every day.

I reckon cutting down/cutting out those dried biscuits on an evening, and making sure she has enough of her raw meat, so she can have that instead.
    (This all started with her joining us right at tea time, as soon as we sat down, then nattering, so it was easier just to give her a few biscuits).

Any more tips?

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Substitute freeze dried treats for the dry so she doesn't feel left out:)
    My Jessie is the same but I've been told that underhang is a cats primordial pouch:D

3. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Ted is the same, I am thinking he needs to cut out treats and dry food too. He has a huge primordial pouch though so it makes him look bigger than he is.

I'm also going to make sure he gets a bit more exercise... He tends to be the first cat to flip down in play time, so I'm going to get him back on his feet and into play.

This might mean I am shaking a treat bag and making him run from room to room to achieve it tho :-D

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I agree, with @SbanR , I use Orijen treats which are similar to Cosmos or Thrive treats I believe.

Also switch to wet when you have your meal.
    A pouch or tin is easy to open and better than dry.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Jackie, "Nearly obese" seems to be the vet overstating things somewhat, if Holly is between a 3 and 4 on the body score chart. There is also the fact that Holly probably has her "winter weight" at present - all my cats weigh more in the winter, because they are less active but are just as hungry because they work up an appetite when they go outdoors!

However I do have a problem with one of my cat's weight. She is quite a small build cat; the most active of all my cats in the summer, out in my garden all day, pottering about. She has never been given treats or dry food. She is on a low carb wet food diet, plus a flat dessertspoonful a day of cooked chicken or turkey. Her daily intake is between 100 grams and 130 grams a day and she does not beg for food all the time, yet she is still overweight!! :Banghead

I agree for Holly, cut back a lot on the dry food, and increase the raw (as it's low in carbs). But remember that too many calories can be fattening even with raw food. Weigh Holly every week on digital scales and keep a log. This acts as a constant reminder to keep to the diet control. If you feed her any wet food choose a low carb food (see Erenya's thread on Zooplus foods and carb levels).

Good luck, I will be interested to hear how things go. I plan to try harder with my cat's diet.:Jawdrop

6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Sorry, I should have said, it's not freeze dried, it's just normal dry. I'm going to try and just stop the dry altogether, I think she's just trying it on, anyway, as she likes it. I'll just give her meat, she eats it after a couple of minutes, anyway. She just begs for something better.
    She has very little dry, anyway. It literally is a sprinkling, but it might just be making that difference.

I agree! It's just a pouch, and I do think it makes her look bigger. She doesn't play an awful lot as she's just super-chilled, so I think playing is the key here. She does like to play when one of us intiates it, or spots laces when we're fastening them.

I think it's winter weight. She loves going out in the summer, and as you say, potters around, and I also see her darting around the garden during the summer as well.
    She only has 1 pouch of wet cat food a day, at most, and probably only has 1/2, really. She only likes the cheap Felix AGAIL. I'd say she has about the same amount of raw meat like you say, between 100g to 130g. But then she has the dry as well. Yes, it's only looks like a small amount, but OH always gives her more than I do, claiming "it's only a bit", when I think it's too much. So I think cutting out the dry is the key, giving her part of her daily meat allowance, combined with the exercise.

We're away this weeked, so we're putting dry down for her, so the diet starts next week!

chillminx likes this.
  7. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

As @chillminx says above, she is probably carrying winter weight (I think Holly goes outdoors doesn't she?). My female certainly gets rounder in winter, and fluffier. Her general weight is around 3.7, although she has been a little lower and crept nearly up to 4 kg in winter. She was a scrawny 3.2 when she arrived. I don't give her dry but other than that, I don't worry too much when she puts a little weight on in winter. Luckily her annual review is in the summer so she is slimmer then! My boy on the other hand.... I have no idea how I am going to get him to lose weight. He eats the same as his sister at home, but they both go out for a wander during the day, and he is a proper 6 dinner Sid, which is a throwback to when he was half dead and starving on the streets. I think I need to get some scales. I feel like such a failure as a slave, especially since I've never fed them dry and always gone down the Zooplus/ HKC route, pate foods only....

8. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Just a quick question, Brok our 8 month old kitten is looking a bit chunky, should we still be free-feeding him at this age or cutting it back? He has been neutered

9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

if it's not one thing it's another:

upload_2019-1-10_12-50-53.jpeg

chillminx and Paddypaws like this.
  10. shingigz

shingigz PetForums Junior

My cat has been on a diet since new year's day. She weighed 11lbs 6oz / 5.16kg. She has lost 5oz so far. I bought a little diet scale and I measure out her meals. I have been giving her 200g wet food maximum per day, and nothing else. Occasionally she has had 160g. I split it into 5-6 meals per day. Since doing this she doesn't pester me for food nearly as much. Her method of pestering is just staring at me. I never give her treats as I don't see what they add to her life, except lard.

Looking from above, she has a suggestion of a waist, but I'm not sure if this is the weight of her large pouch pulling it down!

Interesting to note is that the 85g pouches of food have all contained between 75-80g of food, so the pouch weight, and then some, is included.

I make sure that her last meal of the day is when I go to bed. This has helped enormously in that she doesn't wake me up any more. Wish I'd have known about this years ago!

#10 shingigz, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Jackie C likes this.
  11. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

I'm sure someone linked some baby scales on here a little while ago. Can anyone suggest some and I'll actually make a note of them this time!

Jackie C likes this.
  12. shingigz

shingigz PetForums Junior

I just use my normal digital scales, and set it to lbs. I weigh myself first, then I weigh myself holding the cat, and then subtract the difference. It saves having to buy a single-use item, and the cat may wriggle about in baby scales making it hard to read correctly.

13. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Thanks but that’s not an option. . Need some actual baby scales. Someone linked some on a thread relatively recently, I just can’t find it!

14. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I got ours on Amazon, will see if I can find them!

Edit: Wow, OK - just checked and I paid £19.99 for the ones we have, but now they are listed as £53!!! (these were the ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009PJHPXC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Can only assume I got them when they were in a deal!!

Orla likes this.
  15. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

16. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Jackie C likes this.
  17. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums Senior

18. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Orla likes this.
  19. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you've mentioned this. I hadn't come across a primordial pouch before and I couldn't fathom why Joey had this flappy bit, yet when I ask people here about his condition everyone says he's fine.

He has a primordial pouch! From above he looks totally normal.

I'm still 100% sure the vets will tell us he is overweight (I haven't weighed him for a little while, but last time I did he was 5.2kg) but he's honestly such a long cat, do they not do BMI scoring for cats :D

Psygon likes this.
  20. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums Senior

Great minds eh Mrs F?

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice