Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Holidays with children

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by suewhite, Mar 30, 2011.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Do you think it does any harm to take children out of school for a couple of weeks to avoid the high cost of holidays when it"s school holidays:001_smile:

2. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Cant you get in trouble for taking kids out of school now? I had been thinking along the same lines because my kids deserve a nice holiday but my hubby said something about getting in trouble if we did :confused:

I'd be interested to know whats what with regards to this :)

3. You can get in trouble by taking them on holiday during school time and would advise you not to do so as a friend of mine was fined for doing it. I think they will allow sometimes but it would have to be for a very good reason and you have to get a form from the council. You do in our area anyway.

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Depends what age they are and what effort you make to catch them up.
    I missed two weeks of school for a holiday and I never really understood trigonometry because of it, I was a higher maths student got an A at GCSE did statistics, then maths As level but I can definitely pin point that what i missed in maths in those two weeks effected me so it may also have done in other subjects.

6. GoldenShadow

I missed out on learning 'ing' on the end of words to make them doing words in year 1 and always felt left out :blushing:

Saying this I went away for three weeks in sixth form and asked my teachers for the work before I went. I came back and was miles ahead of everyone as classes had moved slower than thought :thumbup:

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

If the fining of parents is going to work the fine has to be much higher the last i knew it was £50, still makes for a cheap/er holiday if you have to pay the fine.

As someone working in school i have to go with the, "children must not be taken out of school during term time" but tbh honest i did it and i dont blame parents for it either if it means an holiday or no holiday.

8. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

my sister took her kids out of school for three weeks to go to florida,no fine,no cheeky letter from the council,in fact she didnt put a letter in for permission either.
    ive taken my youngest out a few days before the summer holidays,i always ask for permission though.
    i think its the holiday companies that need sorting.
    not the parents :rolleyes:
    the holiday companies are taking the p***.
    lots of hard working mums and dads dont get time off in the school holidays.in fact it is there busiest time.

9. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I have taken Lauren out of school and hope to do in the future,,we do have to ask permission though first

11. ClaireLouise

I will be taking mine out of school for a holiday in a few weeks. I dont care what school says. Its my choice as they are my children! I also wont let school tell me what I can and cant put in her snap box :D

#11 ClaireLouise, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  12. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

I have booked a week at the end of june for us to go away only in a caravan down west wales but its all we can afford and we had to do it then as in school term it is too expensive. :(:(

And i would do it again and again if that is what i have to do x

13. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

i am sorry but its an AWFUL idea. I feel sorry for the children.

14. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

Sorry why hun? :confused:

15. ClaireLouise

In what way do you feel sorry for the children?

16. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

my mum took my little sister out of school for 2 weeks so they could go on holiday, she had to send a holiday form in for her and get permission, but i think she'd of taken her out anyway

17. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

they are lacking in education, do you seriously think its a good idea for children to miss school? they dont just miss out on learning, i loved school and they are leaving their friends who are learning? its just silly, saving your self money by sacrificing the FREE education your child gets? i just have too much to say? i could go on and on

18. ClaireLouise

I think its one of them things that stands on each cases merits if you get me lol

If its a family struggling slightly financial and they can only afford to go away in term time and the kids dont have exams or crucial work and are prepared to catch up its fine
    :)

If its just because the parents want to go away and the kids have exams, important course work or no intention of catching up its wrong!
    :(

Its one of them things you cant say someone is right or wrong with out knowing the details..... its definatly not awful to want to spend time as a family.

19. ClaireLouise

I week away with family is a beneficial as being at school IMO

Its not lacking education 1 week in a whole school year can be made up easily!
    As I said before you dont know a families reason for taking term time away.
    If its exam time its wrong but there are many valid reason to go away in term time.
    Its not silly at all and thats abit of a sweeping statement as you dont know the reasons for taking children out of school.

20. GoldenShadow

Imagine never going on holiday because your parents can't afford it in the peak of summer. That'd be pretty lame if they could have afforded to take you and just let you miss one week of school by going in term time :(

Personally I don't feel like primary education is as important as secondary anyway, and even then its only nearer GCSE years I would be careful. Like I said at A Level I went on holiday for 3 weeks and came back ahead of everybody else, didn't affect my work at all but it sure helped me being able to get away for a few weeks :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice