Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Holidaying in Uk with new puppy this year, help and ideas please???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bootcutboy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. bootcutboy

bootcutboy PetForums Junior

We live in stockton-on-Tees, North East, and usually enjoy sun holidays to Egypt, Spain etc each year but we have a 15 week old basset pup so are looking to holiday in this country this year so the little fella can come too.

Anywhere in the UK is an option but The lakes and Northumberland (close to us as we in North East) would be best, but we are open to any suggestions really as my g'friend currently gets her petrol through work, I would love to go to Cornwall but it is a bit far for the pooch at the mo.

What I would really like is for us to find nice log cabin style accomodation, out in the sticks, something like Centre Parks but not as commercial. Or maybe a nice castle style hotel that has out buildings where people can stay with dogs. We are only just starting our search so if anyone knows any websites that could be useful?

Another option for us is borrowing my brothers humongous new mobile home, but then depending on how far we drive petrol would be a serious issue so no further than 100 miles each way I would say. But if anybody can recommend some really nice campsites that welcome mobile homes, preferably by some nice coastline, plenty of dog walking routes, and quite a high standard of site (my girlfriend likes the finer things in life), that take mobile homes that would be great.

I should note that we are NOT interested in tent based camping hols.

So any suggestions really would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. rona

rona Guest

You could do Cornwall by staying in a travel lodge over night on the way there and back :D
    Could see other bits of the country too :D

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Definately not Centre Parc's as you said wayt o commerciala dn dog tolerant rather than dog friendly.

I would check out plenty of rental cottage sites, we are off to Snowdonia this summer for 2 weeks and were orinally booked in here:

snowdonia selfcatering holiday farm cottage north wales cottages with with fitness room, sauna and spa / hot tub

The owner was very dog friendly and happy for pets to come to. (We had to cancel due to friends who live 20 minutes drive away(closer to the coat) actually giving us their holiday cottage for 2 weeks as a weding present instead!). BUT we found when looking that the smaller indenpent people renting out cottages were mush more dog friendly thant he alrger companies.

Also I have been on Forest Holidays in Scotland , staying in log cabins. None of the fancy facilities of 'resort' but good old fashioned walking , cycling and relaxing in the woods. They are very dog friendly, when we last went all cars had to be kept away from cabins so it was completely child / animal safe.

Good luck in your holiday hunting :)

Forest Holidays: magical Cabin holidays, Caravan parks & Campsites in the UK - UK Family Holidays

4. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I am going to Lands end chalets near Ullswater in June with the dog this is their website Land Ends: Self Catering Log Cabins. They take upto 2 dogs free of charge (does not actual say that part on the website). I have not been there before so do not know what they are like but fancied the Lake district for a change. I have also been the chalets in Inverness and Oban but suspect that these will probably be too far for you to travel. There are lots of nice cottages in the Lake District too but I usually go to a chalet and these ones looked good which is when I went for them. I did find another chalet park that looked good but can not remember the details just now I will have a look tonight when I am at home. Here are some links for ones that list dog friendly places to stay Dogs Invited - Page 1 of Dog Friendly Holiday Accommodation in Cumbria, The Lake District and Pet friendly dog friendly self-catering country cottages and holiday cottages they have a lot of dog friendly ones on them. Also this one Pet Friendly Lake District Cottages | Sally's Lake District Cottages

5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

6. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

7. bootcutboy

All Fantastic ideas and all bookmarked, thankyou. Anymore ideas would be very welcome chaps!

8. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Try Cottages4you, we use them every year for a week in October with our 2. So far we haven't had a bad one, they have all been lovely. We went to the New Forest last year and loved it so much have booked again for this October. I must admit I too wouldn't do camping so cottages are ideal as they are like home from home with all mod cons.

Hope this helps.

9. Sandsend - not that far from you is fantastic our dogs love it there!

10. bootcutboy

Yes Sandsend is on our list of day trips along with Whitby, we have been to both but not with the pooch yet, Sandsend is a very pretty place, thank you.

11. Goathland and around the dales are lovely too! but guess you have been there!

12. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

We are going to Bacton in Norfolk, Castaways holiday park small and very dog friendly

13. bootcutboy

Hi Doubletrouble, Don't think I have ever been to Goathland athough my family took me all over when I were a nipper. I will have a look at the area on t'internet when I get chance! Cheers for the suggestion.

14. Steff

Steff PetForums Junior

I recommend Forest Holidays. We went to their Deerpark Forest park and it was lovely there. We didnt take the dog but they are pet friendly. They are beautiful lodge cabins in the forest, we had a hot tub too. Our lodge was right on the lake so each morning we was met by the ducks wanting their morning bread lol and the walking was amazing.
    We have booked our holiday in June to their Forest of Dean park. I cant wait :)

15. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Norfolk is booooootiful! :D Not that I am biased or a Norfolk Farmer Girl at heart hehehehe

It's a long way from everywhere though and the costal areas / broads ar enot the quietest in the summer but they area is fantastic, espcially Hunstanton / Wells Next the Sea / The Hoveton and Worxham Broads areas. Much quiter areas are Hickling Broad or BArton Broads - The tourists dont always venture this far as there are no commercial shops etc more rural local villages / shops.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

We've just come back form a short break locally (Camelford, Cornwall) A place called Juliot's Well - absolutely fantastic. We intend having regular spring and autumn short breaks there.

Lodges are really well equiped, dogs are welcome almost anywhere. Heidi came with us for our evening meal (they also deliver them all plated up). So picturesque and relaxing with spectacular views. Cant recommend it highly enough:D

17. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

Hi, probably not what you're after but me and my partner are going camping with our little one.

We've always gone to the Haven sites and have actually found them really good (as long as you go during school time and not school holidays).

He'll be 6 months when we go so hopefully he'll be okay to stay in a tent!

But like I said, Haven have always been really good for us when we've been camping before but just don't go in the School Holidays or your holiday will be dreadful!!!

18. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

Accommodation

We go here every year and it is great!

A bit in the middle of nowhere but they log cabins are nice , close to leyburn and near aysgarth falls (lovely walks) and also castles ect.

People are lovely too (there is a shop on site and park if you have kids ect.)

19. shimlad

shimlad PetForums Newbie

Absolutely agree with sunshine on this one, great pet friendley place to stay, beautiful log cabins and beautiful views.

i would also try this websites: Lake District pet friendly accommodation page as it had one of the biggest collections of lake district accommodation which accepts dogs, plus a wide variety of different type (that's how we found Lands End chalets
    last time we visited the lakes!).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice