Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Holiday worries

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Pheebs, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Pheebs

Pheebs PetForums Member

I'm going on holiday for the first time since getting Pheebs.

For the first ten days our neighbours upstairs are looking after her. We and Pheebs are very friendly with them. We live in a house divided into two flats. Upstairs love Pheebs and we often leave the doors to both flats open so she can divide her time between us as she pleases (yes she is completely spoiled).

Pheebs is an outdoor cat and I'm happy for our neighbours to let her out while we're way, as she knows them as well as she knows us. But for the last five days of our holiday, the upstairs neighbours are also going to be away. Our cat loving next door neighbour is going to look after Pheebs for those five days.

But, I am worried about her going outside for those five days as I think she might freak at being completely alone and think all of us have abandonded her. Do you think it would be best to keep her in for those last five days?

Thanks!

2. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

I would keep her in for the whole ten days personally, you just never know what may happen and even tho she knows your neighbours I just would not take the risk :)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Agree completely with this.There have been a few threads about cats missing while being looked after during owners holidays,infact although the circumstances are slightly different ,there is one on Cat Chat at the moment..... http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/321970-cat-sitting-cat-missing.html Best for all concerned for your cat to be grounded while you are away for her safety and the peace of mind of those caring for her.

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Even though mine love the outdoors, at holiday times when they are looked after by a friend, they are always kept in. I know that one of them would just stay out if I wasn't there and I think its a big responsibility and worry for the person looking after them so why take the risk?

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I would keep your cat inside while you are on Holiday.
    One year my elderly cat got run over by one of our neighbours speeding out of our cul de sac as she was late for work.
    We were on Holiday at the time and my cat never went out much but he just happened to do so while we were away. Sadly I think he was looking for us.

I will never get over his death.

Since then all our cats go into a cattery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice