Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Holiday in 8 weeks- what is the best option for my skittish cat???

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ammy, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Let me just say for a start off- I am talking about Evie primarily here because Meg is so laid back that I am sure she will cope with anything for 2 weeks and just be happy to see us when we get back!!!!:D

So the story is, last year we went away for 2 weeks and left my poor old mum in charge of the cats. She went round in the morning, fed and fussed them, let them out in the sunny August weather for the day and then went back later to feed and fuss and get them in for the night. And THIS is where the problem lay- Evie would not go in. Cue my Mum recruiting neighbours and friends to help her get Evie in at night with treats and tricks and all sorts :( Evie was not a happy cat. And my Mum wasnt happy either. And their relationship still hasnt really recovered. :confused1:

So this year, we are probably going to make things much harder cos we are taking poor old Mum away with us for 2 weeks, which is good for us and her but am starting to really worry about Evie :(

I have a few options but need someone who knows cats to tell me what is best!!

A friend has offered to come in every day in the morning and at night to feed and fuss BUT he has said that he won't let the cats out. He is brill with the cats but isnt a well man and cant run round the district trying to get them in if they won't come home. Now, part of me thinks this would be a good option. The cats will be in and safe, fed and watered and I am thinking of fitting a cat tree before we go away so they will have stuff to do. However, what are my chances of confining 2 cats, alone, who normally roam free for 12 hours a day at least, with no humans for 2 weeks and them not killing eachother?? Dont get me wrong- they get on well but that amount of time together in summer heat would push any relationship!!! :D Is this a realistic option??

The only other thing is to get my friend to let them out each morning and ask a friend at work who keeps LOTS of cats, feral and domestic and is a bit younger and fitter to go round at night and get them in. They will be fed and watered but will have some outside time too. However, this will mean them being out all day, no supervision- what if something happens? They are both microchipped but I would never forgive myself if one was ill or injured and no-one was there to help it. :(

A cattery is not an option- Evie is sooooo skittish and bonkers that a cattery would tip her over the edge.

What to do??????? What would you do?????

:confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:

2. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

That's a tough one! Can you not get someone to live in with the cats while you are away or perhaps use a cat sitting service? I have to say I have had the same problem in the past,I have had my mum come and live in for the duration as there is no way Scamp would be shut in all night in summer:) I guess I am lucky that now my eldest son no longer comes away with us he looks after him:thumbup: Although I still worry and text or phone to see if he is ok(and the son as well:lol:) I make arrangements with the vet that we will pay when we return as that takes the worry away from the son.I can't put Scamp in a cattery either as when we all went away for 2 weeks once I did this and he pined,he wanted his freedom and familiar surroundings.The cattery was great but he hated it:( Good luck with what ever you choose and have a great break,Oh and mum too!

3. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I think Ally Kats has hit on the best idea for you. The problem with someone coming round twice a day, and not letting them out, is what happens if one escapes? And with your other option - getting someone to let them out in the morning so they can run free & then come back, is what happens if they don't? (sorry - don't want to worry you).

A live in cat sitter will be able to cater for all their needs, turning your home into the cattery.

Whatever happens, make sure you enjoy your holiday.

4. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

How much is a live in cat sitter for 2 weeks in August though??? Funds may not stretch to that!!!!

5. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Actually - i'm not sure about that. Probably depends on which area you are in. Try calling a few tommorrow to guage prices & availability before you make any decisions.

6. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Also, just mentioned to hubby- he says down right NO to a stranger in the house :(

This is a nightmare.

7. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

As long as you get a registered sitter, they should be crb checked. You can also check references before the holiday starts. But i also understand your hubby's concerns.

8. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

He says NO. :( what a git. He doesnt love the girls like i do.

May have come to a compromise though. What do you think of this???

Keep them in and have friend go in in the morning to feed and fuss, midday to fuss and check and in the evening Hubbys dad go in and feed and fuss- so THREE visits a day. PLUS when Hubbys Dad plays bowls once a week- we ask him to let them out for a few hours while he is at bowls then let them in on his way home from bowls- so ONCE A WEEK trip out. Then ask my best friend to come in at the weekend for a few hours and sit with them for a fuss and let them out to play while she sits there. She has done that before when we have had weekends away and likes cats. Also may ask friend at work who has domestic and ferals if he will do a sit in night. Also another friend is a vet nurse and may help out. Lots of roping in of favours may just sort my problem!!!:D

It will mean a few people in and out the house but if I spend the next few weeks getting people in for meeting sessions with Evie and getting her to trust them, I may just be able to sort this out without upsetting her too much. I feel better about her going out and someone getting her in if they are sitting in and know where she has gone and havent got to find her!!!!

What do you think??? Is this bonkers or do you think with lots of spare keys and bottles of wine, it may be a solution????
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

9. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I think it sounds like the perfect solution - as long as they are willing to do it.

10. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Hubby wants to offer next doors teenage son, who Evie loves, some cashola to let her (and poor Meg who i keep forgetting!!) out for the evening then get them in. It was mostly him who got Evie in while we were away last time. I realise i am thinking aloud here....bear with me...... :D

11. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

My husbands the same,we only use family but I know not everyone lives close to each other,any chance the neighbors could pitch in?

12. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Sounds like a plan to me:thumbup:

13. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Im in the same situation as you, my cat hates catterys, and I mean hates them, have tried a few catterys all of which I was happy about the level of care but she still wasn't comfortable in any of them. For any short trips away we have (a few days) my aunt comes out twice a day to her, but for anything longer unfortunately she has to go into the cattery, couldn't expect her to come out twice a day for a week or two. And theres no live in pet sitters over here on my side of the country (west of ireland, back end of no where :rolleyes:). Your very lucky to have so many friends and neighbours willing to help! :thumbup:

Might not be a viable option but could you build a cat enclosure that they could be let out into during the day? They would be outside but with no risk of anything happening to them, and could be herded into carriers to put them in at night, so would save everyone running round trying to catch them. My girls an indoor cat but were thinking of building one for her, shes a spoilt little brat! :rolleyes:

14. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

now that really is a dillema that i will be faced with anytime we go away from now on. At the old house next door used to come in 3 times a day and feed the cats they are indoors at th mo but now we have moved i am trying to get friendly with the new neibour so i wont have to worry when we go away in the future lol

my OH would say down right no to a sitter as well he is funny about people coming in our house. you have a solution there even if it does mean lots of spare keys i hope you sort it all out before your holiday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice