Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Hole in GALS shell.

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by rolotp, Mar 4, 2019.

1. rolotp

rolotp PetForums Newbie

Hi

We've had our Snail, Snot, for about 12months now. He is tended to daily, has a large piece of cuttlefish and eats mostly lettuce.

Today during his soil change, we have noticed a hole in the tip of his shell. We are completely unsure of why or how this has happened but I'm quite worried.

What have we done wrong? Will he die? How can we fix it?

I've tried to upload a photo .

TIA

Attached Files:

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I would cover the hole with something, maybe a plaster, as you dont want soil etc getting into the hole as thats where it's internal organs are. I would feed him extra protein (fish flakes, snail mix, raw mince etc) and hopefully it will heal.

If he is in with any other snails then isolate and pop into a smaller enclosure. Are there any hard objects in the enclosure such as ceramic bowls, rocks etc? If so, it would be wise to move them as snails can, and do, break shells on hard objects. I would also advise that you give your snail a much wider variety of food. Lettuce has little nutritional value and is fine being fed alongside other foodstuffs but shouldnt be their staple diet. Fruit and veg such as courgette, sweet potato, basil, runner beans, pak choi, baby corn, mushrooms, pear, apple (not citrus fruits) are all firm favourites with snails in general.

3. rolotp

rolotp PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply

We were told by the pet shop to feed him lettuce and now I feel so stupid, for not googling it!!
    I've put some mushroom and parsnip in, so fingers crossed. He did have a water dish (again, as sold to us by the pet shop.. .) I've now removed it, just in case.
    I wonder if his tank was too cold, as we'd just moved him, into a different room. So. I've put his heat mat back on. Could that have an effect on his shell?

Looking more closely this evening, his shell is looking a bit brittle, will he survive this? I'm so worried!!! I have put a little Plaster and he looks wonderful!!! His appetite and general well, seems fine and. I havent noticed any changes. Fingers crossed thats a good sign!

Thank you again

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately, it's quite well known amongst more experienced snail owners that pet shops know absolutely nothing about the correct care for GALS. You was just going by what you was advised.

You can never improve old growth on the shell but you can improve new growth. Diet, humidity, temperature and fluctuations in the latter 2 can affect shell condition. Hopefully by improving your snails diet and making sure he has lots of calcium and protein he will make a good recovery.

5. rolotp

rolotp PetForums Newbie

Just thought I'd provide a little update.

Snot is still going and thriving!! We moved him into a warmer area of the house and reattached the mat. We tried to cover the small holes in the shell, with bits of egg shell! Some are still attached but most fell off! The bottom part of his shell is a much healthier colour and appears stronger and thicker. Just a waiting game now, till the new shell reaches the tip.

I've improved his diet by adding a range of different foods but his favourite, definitely seems to be Kale! (wasnt so keen on the parsnip!)

I'm guessing we are on the right lines now, as he/she appears to be laying eggs, every 2/3 weeks. Before we moved him back, he went 6/7 months with no eggs. So, I'm hoping the increase is a good sign?!?

Thank you for all your help. We had no idea what to do with him and I've definitely learnt my lesson, in regards to the pet shop!!

Thank you again :)

Attached Files:

Leanne77 likes this.
  6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Great to hear they have made a good recovery, they are pretty resilient animals. I very recently damaged the shell of one of my smaller snails, I was stirring the coir with a big metal spoon and didnt know he was in there and split a big part of his shell and broke another bit. I popped them in a small tub with just lettuce as the substrate instead of coir so it was a cleaner environment, provided protein and calcium. After a few days he made his escape into the bigger rub with the others but by that time he'd more or less healed with very little evidence of any damage at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice