UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why does dogs hold the male sperm??? friends dog finally scanned tonight and was not pregannt however it was said that she has to go in a week because dogs can sometimes hold the sperm and could of got pregnant few days later is this true??????????

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
why does dogs hold the male sperm??? friends dog finally scanned tonight and was not pregannt however it was said that she has to go in a week because dogs can sometimes hold the sperm and could of got pregnant few days later is this true??????????
It sure is, if the bitch wasn't ovulating at the time of mating sperm can live for upto 7 days, we have had it happen here admitted it was a small litter but it did happen ;)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Not at all true, in fact it can be difficult to get a bitch pregnant, sperm only lives for 72 hours I think, so unless the bitch ovulates within that time, it's not going to happen. That's why some breeders progesterone test, to actually try to see when their bitch is ovulating to try and have them mated at the optimum time. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have def read that it can live up to 5 days, 7 days is not unheard of, I am sure I read it in the BOTB but have def read it somewhere ;)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
As Tashi says - yes it is perfectly possible - 3 to 5 days seems to be "the average" - but healthy sperm can live up to 7 days

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Sperms storage definately happens in dogs -

"Motile spermatozoa were found in the lumen of the uterus in undiminished concentrations for 4 to 6 days after copulation; numbers progressively declined but motile spermatozoa were observed as late as 268 hr after copulation." - R. L. Doak et al

LONGEVITY OF SPERMATOZOA IN THE REPRODUCTIVE TRACT OF THE BITCH
268 hours is going some :eek:

Loads of links on the internet OP - use caution with search terms though and include canine in your search field ;)

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Well that has surprised me, I never knew that. I know tortoises can be mated one year and produce fertile eggs the following year but imagined dog sperm would only live 48 hours.

The things you learn on here eh? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey, i want to breed my bitch but i need to use artificial insemination as she won't breed.

how long can the sperm stay alive before i put it into my bitch through the breeding pipette :confused:

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
hey, i want to breed my bitch but i need to use artificial insemination as she won't breed.

how long can the sperm stay alive before i put it into my bitch through the breeding pipette :confused:
If she won't 'breed' have you had her checked out by a vet, depending on what is happening !

If she is 'going' for the dog - temperament may be not good if you are catching her on her right day.

If he can't enter her - could be a stricture which in turn could cause problems with wheel ping.

If she 'won't be mated - could also be she won't be a good mum.

All these things need to be taken into account before using ai. There are many other reasons but seriously you need to be aware she may have problems whelping and may be awkward with the pups. My advice is to do all the health checks etc before putting yourself through the trouble of maybe an expensive couple of months.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts

if you can't get her in whelp naturally why bother? don't mean to be rude but she doesn't need a litter and it might be nature's way of saying no.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts

Does this mean you are doing a DIY AI? I would forget that idea - not only do you have to know what you are doing so you don't cause her any internal damage but the likelihood of her getting pregnant with this method is negligible.
There are a few clinics in the UK that deal with AI but the method is far more complex than just putting the sperm in a pipette and inserting into bitch.

Not sure if this is a wind up?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Does this mean you are doing a DIY AI? I would forget that idea - not only do you have to know what you are doing so you don't cause her any internal damage but the likelihood of her getting pregnant with this method is negligible.
There are a few clinics in the UK that deal with AI but the method is far more complex than just putting the sperm in a pipette and inserting into bitch.

Not sure if this is a wind up?
Not sure - but have just found this :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-bree...out-breeding-your-bitch-2.html#post1062393608

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.