Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Holding out for a Dreamie..........

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by bogie, Sep 2, 2013.

1. bogie

bogie PetForums Junior

I'm singing a song to our gorgoeous new puss
    'I need a Dreamie! I'm holding out for a Dreaming till the end of the night!' :D:D

We picked him up on Saturday and, as I posted last week, I intend to gradually wean him off his diet of Royal Canin Indoor, and onto wet food.
    The previous owners said he wasn't always that fond of the Royal Canin so they often put Dreamies on top. I don't mind giving the odd treat, but I'm thinking now he might have got a bit accustomed to the whole Dreamie thing a bit too much!

My plan is/was to feed the RC indoor, but add bits of wet food to it to gradually entice him away. The slight hitch in this plan is that he doesn't seem to like the RC OR whatever else I offer :eek:

I know it's very early days, and he seems very happy in himself (playing, weeing, drinking, pooing normally, purring, rolling, fussing, looking out the window etc) but when we offer RC, he nibbles a few, then just looks at us and rolls over and purrs!

I cooked him a bit of chicken, but he didn't know what to do with it! I offered some wet food of the shredded chicken nature and he did lick the gravy, but seemed to find the shreds too much effort!
    Last night I opened a High Life terrine and he did eat a spoonful of that, purring all the while. I offered him some more, and some RC dry at bedtime and left it down, but he didn't touch either overnight.

When we came down in the morning, he was more interested in rolling and being fussed than food. I offered the last of the terrine, with much encouraging cooing, but he sniffed it and walked off. My last cat would hoover anything you put in front of him, so it's bizarre having a cat that isn't bothered!

We wondered if he was off his food after the stress of a move, though he is a very laid-back cat and not showing any signs of being anxious, so I thought we'd test out the Dreamie theory. We got out the bag and he went mad for them! I put some on top of the wet food, but he actually dragged them out with his paw. We mixed it all up a bit, but then he wasn't interested.

Should I continue to top things with Dreamies to get him to eat? I suspect knowing they were parting with their cat, he was rather spoilt with Dreamies in his last few weeks with the last family. I'm so concerned about cystitis and diabetes etc that I don't want to give him dry or a lot of treat food if I can help it, but at the same time, he's a huge chunky BSH (must be at least 8kg) and I don't want him to be hungry.

Any suggestions?!

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

It's a really tricky one.
    I think you are right to be a little concerned about his weight as you are correct in understanding that it can lead to various health issues.
    However, no cat should be starved into submission, (not that you would! ) and a large cat is at a higher risk of potential serious liver issues if weight loss is too rapid.
    Maybe we need some more pics to help us give accurate advice?:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice