Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Holding it at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Pattyx, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Pattyx

Pattyx PetForums Junior

Well the past couple of nights Oscar has been able to go through the night without peeing and hasn't soiled his crate.
    Last night I slept with him and I took him out at 10.35pm and he pee'd, I woke up a good few times throughout the night and he never cried, was either sleeping or just moving about and I didn't wake till 7.10pm where he just woke and was sitting up (no crying) is this too good to be true, sleeping through the night with no crying or getting up and holding his bladder for over 8 hours. Think it's amazing :)
    We are planning on sleeping in our own beds tonight and leaving him in the Livingroom to see how he goes alone, going to out up a baby monitor to see how he goes though.
    He has been doing well with going outside and sometimes he goes to the back door to get out for a pee. He is also becoming used to his crate and maybe whines for a bit when we leave him and go upstairs but soon settles down! That's only a week he has been here so seems amazing.
    What are people's opinions and thoughts x

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Usually the need to go in the night gets less and less and then finally they can go through until early morning. All pups are different and will vary as to how long it takes same as toilet training itself some will catch on very quickly others will take longer before they get that outside is the correct place to go.

You could very well be lucky and you have a quick learner and he will go through now every night, or maybe aside the odd accident for a short while here and there. I did with mine what it sounds like you have done, immediate constant and consistent taking them out in the day and having them within sight and sound at night, so if they do wake or stir and need to go, taking them out, I found that's a lot better then waking them by setting an alarm if they cant go through at first, as its a more natural progression to going through the night. With mine it was pretty quick too, cant remember exactly but by about two weeks they were going through the night and virtually totally clean aside getting caught out occasionally in the day. Looks like he is beginning to tell you some of the time too when he needs to go which is great, although he likely wont be totally reliable just yet and you will have to watch him and think for him for a bit.

I used to take them out last thing about 11pm which will fit about the time you took him out last night.

Personally I would have a go at taking him out about the same time tonight and trying him and play it by ear. If after a couple of nights he is having an accident, then maybe continue the night toilet when needed for another few days to a week and then try again when you have had a dry night or two again. Obviously if he settles and no accidents and it continues still then job virtually done or as far as nights go.

3. Pattyx

Pattyx PetForums Junior

Thank you:) yeah I'm hoping that he will continue to hold through the, he seems like a right smart cookie and learning fast so hopefully it will go well from now on. I am fully aware though like you said that there will be accidents in the house and we are supervising him constant apart from when we can't he goes in his crate. He is going to the door more and more, it's a case of watching him and diving up when we see him going there! He seems like a quick learner so it makes all the difference.
    Going to try again tonight but leave him and see how it goes, will let you know tomorrow :)

4. Pattyx

Pattyx PetForums Junior

Good morning all,
    Well Oscar went all last night in his crate sleeping by himself for the first night and he never cried (had baby monitor on with a screen to watch him) although there was a little bit pee on one blanket when we go up this morning but it looked fresh and maybe and hopefully was from excitement from just seeing us this morning, I'm really hoping so as we don't want him to start peeing in his crate as he has never done up until now. Very good that he didn't cry or anything during the night with no1 being there.
    X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice