Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hock Arthrodesis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sioux Norton, May 26, 2018.

1. Sioux Norton

Sioux Norton PetForums Newbie

Hi

I am facing the decision about whether to have hock fusion (arthrodesis) carried out on my labrador. He has a partially (significantly) torn achilles and although they could possibly try to cage the joint to try to encourage a repair the chance of repair is not great. I don't want to put him through this, together with the associated recovery and restricted activity to probably have it fail again and then have to do the arthrodesis anyway. He's already missed out on so many of his favourite things - he's used to six hour walks on moors and mountains, running in fields and woodlands and generally being a bouncy, happy labrador and at the age of 10 I don't want him to miss out on this for much longer. I am therefore considering going straight to the arthrodesis on the basis that this will get it over and done with and he can then have only one period of recovery and get straight back to life. He also gets really stressed going to the vets so this would take out lots of the backwards and forwards with MRIs, multiple operations, check ups, cage removals, etc.

Has anyone out there had hock arthrodesis carried out on their dog and how have they managed afterwards? Have they adapted their gait well enough to get back on with life, as I hope he will? Any feedback welcome!

2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Not had arthrodesis but have had a dog with a partially torn (one of the 3 bits that make up the achilles tendon was torn) achilles. We opted for conservative management, an initial period of complete rest didn't work so we had a specially made brace that was gradually adjusted over a 2 month period. He was allowed off lead with it on too and made a complete recovery. Don't know if you have insurance or not - this did cost about £1,000 but it was well worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only issues we had with it was him constantly chewing the velcro straps off which we got round by spraying them with something nasty tasting and he got some sores on the top of his foot at first so I think we had to take the foot plate part of it off.

3. Chellie

Chellie PetForums Member

One of my old dogs had an arthrodesis at 11 years of age. 6 weeks cage (without the cage) rest and then gradual increase in distance and activity on walks and she was as good as new. Lived to be nearly 16 and never had any more problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice