Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ho hummm another new ratty owner!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper PetForums Member

My dd2 asked me for a long time about getting rats, i gave in and we bought two 'baby' boys home a fortnight ago. She has taken good care of them , talked to them lots and put her hand in without trying to get them out the first week.

We have one very friendly social rat and the other is very frightened. He recoils at the back of the cage, nothing will entice him to get him out.

The oh took stock of this situation and removed him, gave him a long cuddle and put him back. We have made up a trugg now which we put them in initially to get them used to being out of cage and also put our hands in constantly before lifting. They both seem to chill out doing it this way.

My question is - will this get better and easier as they get older?

They were sold as babys but are very fully developed *caugh* but i don't know if they were babies as they were quite different to the other babies in the shop.

They make this loud caughing sneezing grunting noise - is this normal rat talk or stress talk - i have noticed it subsides after a few minutes of being out.

Any other advice wouldbe great!:confused: :D

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Hiya!

Baby boy ratties do have fully developed and rather obvious boy-bits even from a very young age so they are likely between 6-8 weeks old (I think it's illegal for pet shops to sell them any older...I think...)

With pairs of rats, I have found there is always going to be an outgoing rat and a fraidy-rat. Try down the jumper bonding and keep to a routine with them. My guys know when it's dinnertime now and all crowd around the cage door waiting for me! With tons of gentle handling, they will very likely come out of their shells quickly and get used to being handled and cuddled.

The noises you've been hearing can be one of two things - either new home sneezes, which are usually just little sneezes that come on in small bouts which go away after a few days, or a respiratory infection, which is combined with 'hiccuping', 'chirping' or even 'pigeon' noises.

If it carries on for over a week or gets worse, I'd take them to the vets, and ask for more than a week's worth of Baytril. Short courses do not work in the long run and they may build an immunity to the antibiotics when they need them more.

The sneezing can also be down to their bedding. I'm sure you're read rats shouldn't be kept on wood shavings right? Aspen is ok, but shredded cardboard is better. No dust at all and nothing that can damage their delicate respiratory systems.

3. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper PetForums Member

thankyou - i am using the paper based cat litter - in the green bag. I thought this was dust free but will have a look at what you have suggested for the base.

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

The paper based cat litter is brilliant to litter-train them (which is very easy to do, they practically teach themselves!), but I'd find it a bit hard for them to be walking on at all times.

You can buy a 20kg bale of EcoBed for £6.20 from here: ECOBED CARDBOARD BEDDING (22 KG)

Brilliant stuff, I've ordered from that site and they're great, and the bale will last for AGES with just two rats! (Lasts my 10 rats/3 groups about 6 months!) :D

5. quequeg1988

quequeg1988 PetForums Member

i find this with my two boys aswett, Alfie is pretty much in your face where as i have to physicaly remove Timmy from his bed as thats where he dives when i open the cage, thaanks dfor that bedding link, im using hemp pellets but i appear to be allergic to them, they make me itchy LOL

6. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Hehe glad I could help - I have allergies and asthma too, but it's cardboard so completely harmless :D

7. quequeg1988

quequeg1988 PetForums Member

yer i am too, i have bad hayfever when it decides to crop up, i had my boy's 5 weeks before i switched to hemp, and ever since them when i pick them up i get itchy and blotchy LOL i'lswitch the the cardboard ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice