Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hmmmmmmmmmm........

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MoggyBaby, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hi Folks,

I've been hanging around here, making the place look untidy, for a few weeks now and, on the whole, it has been a fantastic experience and I'm afraid you're all stuck with me.

However, I have noticed - more than once - that there are posts where members are quick to admonish other posters but less quick to offer the advice requested.

Surely this is detrimental to the whole purpose of this forum as we are all here to help each other. I'm sure most of us, if we wanted a telling-off or a lecture, would give our parents a call. It just doesn't seem right that posters quite often have to justify their actions to us like we are some grand jury handing out gold stars for good behaviour.

Now maybe it's just me interpretting things that way but I wanted to mention it as perhaps people hadn't noticed they were/are doing this. I fully understand that most of us come from a viewpoint of animals first, humans much further down the list, but upsetting the human slave is not going to benefit the animal is it.

Anyway, said me piece, off to make me coffee now. :)

Cheers

Moggy

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: *off to google admonish* :eek: :lol:

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

DB, Urban Dictionary says admonish is "to metaphorically beat one with a stick, this is a phrase that usually follows a correction or update of popular philosophy"

Moggy, oh, it's definitely been noticed and mentioned many times by other folk :) Must admit, I've done it myself - chipped in with a bit of admonishment. I think it's the mother in me which is hard to shake. But I do try not to. It's sometimes hard though, especially when it's in the face of apparent total fecklessness :(

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

We do try to keep an eye on it MoggyBaby and try to calm things down when it gets a little over the top :)

5. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Haters gonna hate I guess :p

6. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I really don't understand posts like these, if you have an issue with a member why not so so openly or send them a PM or report the offending post, rather starting up a thread like this :rolleyes::

7. gskinner123

Thinking about it, when I first joined here I used to admonish the admonishers and was then admonished for admonishing and... oh, you know :)

In all seriousness though, I do know what you mean. I've become a fairly 'heavy' user of this forum as a result of (hopefully) a temporary but long term'ish illness so I'm at home a lot. I was - and still am - all for cutting people some slack but if you browse the forum a lot it can seem to become a constant drip, drip, drip of people posting alarming things (particularly so in the breeding section) and then taking the massive hump when others respond in a way they don't like or say something they don't want to hear. It can be hard to contain yourself at times. Probably the best remedy for that is to take a while off the forum :)

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Because I don't have a gripe or an issue with anyone. Why would you think that I do? This is a general observation that I have made over the few weeks I have been here.

If I personally had a gripe with someone, I wouldn't hesitate to take it up with them. However, I'm a tough old boot who can look after myself, there may well be other posters who can't and would be scared away from the forum as a result of something like this.

As me old grandaddy used to say "It's nice to be nice". :)

9. gskinner123

Oh no, I've to admonish you :D Honest, stick around here long enough and you'll have gripes and issues galore with some posters, once they creep under your veil of cool :)

It is nice to be nice, I thoroughly agree.

lymorelynn likes this.
  10. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Some people need to be told firmly unfortunately. When i first come here i was saying the exact same thing, let's all be friends let's be nice to everyone let's not give lectures, but the longer your here the more your realise why some of us get so frustrated with new members who don't genuinely have the cats best interest at heart, that is when things, understandably, get a little heated ;)
    My opinion has definately changed since being here on how much 'being nice' actually works with SOME people, the majority of the time it is a brilliant and happy place :D

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I fully understand what you mean above and I agree that there are some people to whom you would want to give a verbal thumping to. What prompted this post is that there have been times when I have been reading posts from genuine people, trying to do their absolute best for their furballs, in whatever circumstances they might be in, and being totally sincere in the questions they have asked but have received responses that did not offer any advice but merely gave them a ticking off. Also, posters who are new to the responsibilities of pet-slaving, are told-off for doing doing/ not doing something that is well-known to the more experienced slave but it is often the first a new slave would have heard about it.

I just think that the wealth of knowledge & experience around here is truly fantastic and it would be an absolute shame for others to miss out on it because some posters cannot give an appropriate response. :(

12. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

The genuine people all stick around though so it can't be that bad :D the majority of us might have had a little ticking off when we first came but we took it on the chin and learnt from it :) i completely get what your saying because i said the same thing for ages but i don't know, review how you feel in a few months :p

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Oh you lot are stuck with me! I ain't a-goin' anywhere. Sorry!! :D :D

Like I said before, I've got no bones to pick with anyone - I'm totally cool. :cool: - Yeah, just like that!! :D

I simply feel sorry for the poor unfortunates who get it in the neck for just asking a question. :(

14. gskinner123

Truthfully? I think when you have an obviously sincere (often new) poster who just wants to do the best for their animal, that comes through loud and clear and in the vast majority of cases they don't get any kind of verbal bashing - though I think the tone of some replies can occasionally be a bit schoolmarmish.

It seems to me that, forum wise re what you're talking about, problems arise when people 'let on' to the most astounding lack of basic - and I really DO mean basic - knowledge of pet ownership. I sometimes check myself and do a double take at some threads, convinced that the OP is a minor. That's particularly the case in the breeding section where, most of the time, the horse has already bolted :(

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As a member who "had a hard time " when I first joined I have to say that those who were the most vociferous were the ones who have changed my approach to cats and their care.If it had not been for those who "called a spade a spade" and not a gardening implement,I doubt very much whether I would have persevered with my gorgeous Raggie Meeko.I have learned a lot while I've been a member and hope that I can ,in turn,pass this on .
    It is very hard in all honesty ,not to react in a negative way ,when a thread/post displays more a lack of common sense/basic care than it does knowledge.

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Ahhhhh, I rarely hang out in the Breeding section as I have got absolutely no knowledge to impart in that area and no need to gain any. If my boys end up preggy, it'll be BBC Newsdesk that I'll be contacting!!! :D :D

17. gskinner123

:D

Well, there is a gentleman on here who claims to own a gay cat which is not a worry for the owner, but is perhaps troublesome for gaycat's (male) companion :eek:

But a pregnant male cat would be a real sensation :)

18. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I want a gold star :eek:

Star meeee :crying:

Em
    xx

19. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I'll Like ya but no stars I'm afraid :D

20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice