Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hmmm not looking forward to it...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Patterdale_lover, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Went to the docs today as I found a lump monday, it has turnt out to be a cyst and just keep an eye on it.
    But after asking a few other questions she wanted to take my blood pressure, turns out it is low and my heart rate is slow, she wants to test me for anemia or thyroid problems so have to go for a blood test monday and I HATE needles :cryin:

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

oh no :( poor poor you!

I hate needles. I think i'd rather die of some disease than have a blood test. Seriously.

My OH had one last week and he is good with stuff like that but he fainted in the doctors afterwards :(

3. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

be brave, dont look and good luck

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

poor you.
    Make sure you have cold water to drink and something like a boost bar for after.
    Keep your breathing slow and steady - most people faint because they've hyperventalated (sp) not because of the actual needle.

Take someone with you, hold there hand and focus on them.

My eldest is really needle Phobic - when we go she has an appointment booked and she never has to wait in the waiting room we just take her straight in and out.

5. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

poor you i hate them too ask for the numming cream im such a wozz i do on they dont get near me :D

6. Patterdale_lover

Verbatim dont say that !! :eek:

And yeah I have the numbing cream, eugh my arm feels funny already..

7. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I've had my fair share of needles; an IV drip, tetanus shots, local anaesthetics. You'll get over it.

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I hate needles too, although I am now able to inject myself daily (anti blood clot needle).

My blood pressure is low, although there is no reason for mine luckily. But mum and grandma are low too, so probably a genetic element to it.
    The lowest mine has ever been recorded was 70/35 during a hospital stay, luckily I was lying down at the time because shortly after I passed out! :D

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

You'll be OK :thumbup:

I'd love a low heart rate, mines really high :(

Glad its just a monitor thing btw x x

10. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Im sure you'll be fine with the needle your a tough cookie.. Hope everything else turns out well xx

11. jon bda

jon bda Guest

You'll be fine hon, just think of it as a practice run for your tatt!!!
    :)

12. Patterdale_lover

Thanks everyone for the comments and Tanya I feel for you :( I'd hate to have a needle everyday I can't stomach one once a year or so. *hugs*

Haha :p Don't tell me you're warming to the idea :eek: ;)

13. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Wow scared of needles, bet you are glad you do not have a tattoo appointment soon, say next month................ :lol:

Glad the lump was not anything too serious, and good luck with the blood test.

14. Patterdale_lover

Surprisingly i'm not frightened of that but im frightened of a needle being sunk right in to the.....the.....Eugh i feel faint.

15. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I feel for you :(

Someone i no gets really bad belly pains and the doctors wont do anything about it but she seems to think she has a cyst :/ they were going to send her for a scan but then because they couldn't see she was actually ill they wouldnt send her for it :/

16. Patterdale_lover

Thats so harsh and useless! I hope she gets it sorted !

17. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

yea its awful :/ we never know how bad it is though as shes quite a big drama queen :rolleyes: lol

18. jon bda

jon bda Guest

If its what you want, so be it hon :)...just not so sure about the quality of a place that will tattoo (don't take this the wrong way!) minors. Think you need to concentrate on getting yourself seen too for now though...tatts can wait...
    :)

19. Patterdale_lover

Yeah Tattoo isn't for a month anyway and depending on results etc we shall see :eek: Just hope its nothing serious and get it sorted!!

20. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

You soon get used to it when you have to do it. Luckily being numb from the waist down has its advantages... I always make sure I stab a numb part ;)

It definitely cured my needle phobia- I used to get so worked up, I'd have a seizure.... now I can do it myself- sort of liberating in a weird way. I can't watch when someone else tries to inject/ canulate/ take blood from me, but I can tolerate it now (arms and hands only).... I can't bear people warning me they are about to prick me though.... the worst thing they can do for me is say "sharp scratch"- that makes me pull away immediately and there is no chance of getting me then.... I have to have the element of surprise.

I also have really hidden veins too. When I was in hospital after a fall I was ill in the night (vomit) and they needed to canulate me.... 17 pricks later (I mean that in every sense of the word ;) ) and the anaesthetist finally managed it! That helped with my phobia too.... This time 2 years ago I would sooner die than have an injection. Now I have no choice.... I would likely die without an injection, so phobia cured by repeat exposure.... and it is so liberating to be able to say that!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice