Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hmm, I think Poppy is calling...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SmittenKitten, Sep 10, 2013.

1. SmittenKitten

SmittenKitten PetForums Member

...but thought I'd check here first.

She keeps meowing over and over in quick succession. I think Oscar is a little young and is not responding to her calls in any way nor does he behave 'like that' around the girls so I don't think he's mature enough thankfully.

Is there any other behaviour to look out for when they're in season? I will be booking her in for spaying ASAP.

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I would separate them, after a night alone you not watching he could start :(
    Book her in for tomorrow, him aswell! :)

3. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

How old is she? If she's under 6 months, some vets may be funny about spaying her so I'd look around and try and find one who will ASAP.

Calling cats tend to have a loud, harsh vocalisation which can be constant, as you are describing. They become excessively friendly- compared to normal, at least- and many will roll around on the floor. Often, they also groom their bums an awful lot, too.

Is there anything else that could be causing her to meow? Does it sound like a distressed vocalisation at all? Is she otherwise okay?

If you think she is in heat, I wouldn't risk leaving the cats together without supervision, just in case. They can, potentially, mate from 4 months old, I'm sure :eek: (Unless I'm confusing cats with rabbits :blush: )

4. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

Find an Early Neutering Vet

Apologies - I don't know Poppy's age - but if for any reason your regular vet will not spay here, then a vet on this list hopefully will.

5. SmittenKitten

Thanks everyone for the replies. She's 21 weeks tomorrow, our vet will neuter at 24 weeks. I will call the vet tomorrow and see what they advise. They all seem to be play fighting as usual.

Poppy has been a little more affectionate recently, but she's quite friendly anyway and loves attention. Not noticed any extra grooming. The meowing goes on for about 10 minutes, she doesn't sound distressed as such but she will meow over and over during that time. It is happening 4 or 5 times a day and I can't think of any reason for it as she's got everything she needs/wants and I can hear her doing it when I am not in the room so it can't be for attention iyswim?

6. Azriel391

Azriel391 PetForums VIP

Hmmm is she flattening herself if you stroke her and kinking her tale to one side with a sort of liw back leg peddaling ... that's what our un neutered queen many years ago used to do , there will be a helpful breeder here with lots of experience along in a mo who will know , but separate for now for def xx

7. JordanRose

She certainly could be calling at that age. It does sound as though that's the case.

When you're not in to supervise, I would separate them both. It's just not worth the risk. Are there any other vets nearby who would neuter earlier than your current one?

I would want her neutered ASAP, personally, especially as you have an unneutered (albeit young) male in the house!

Alternatively, something that sprang to mind was Cystitis. Is she meowing a lot after or during toileting? Have you noticed her straining to wee but not urinating? Or is she tender anywhere, if you try and touch her? She could maybe be in a bit of pain for one reason or another.

#7 JordanRose, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  8. SmittenKitten

Thanks Laurac for the link. There is a vet close by that will neuter at 4 months. This is actually a practice that was recommended by a friend so I'll call them tomorrow. Will a vet neuter while the cat is in heat? I'm wondering if it might just be easier to get Oscar done as inevitably honey will start calling soon too. The only problem with that is he is still not 100% with whatever this virus is so probably too ill to undergo surgery. I suppose the best thing to do is to speak to them. I was hoping to take Oscar in soon anyway as like I say he still isn't right and it's been a few weeks now :(

9. JordanRose

Honey? Have you got 3 kittens? (You're brave if you do! :eek: :lol:)

There is more risks involved with spaying in heat- some will do it, some won't- it would be easier to get Oscar done first, like you say, but I'd talk to the vet and see if he's strong enough for an anaesthetic. I think castrations take a matter of minutes- they're not under very long at all- so he may be okay to undergo such a routine procedure...

10. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

Could be going completely round the twist here - but I think I have read that males can still impregnate for a certain time after neutering. So best to get female done first - and definitely keep them separated until she has been done.

11. JordanRose

You know, I didn't think about that. I'm sure it is possible. I know it is in humans- it definitely is in rabbits (I'm more clued up on them!)- so I don't see why it wouldn't be the case for cats.

Hopefully, this will be a short season and you can book her in for spaying as soon as she stops calling, before the next one!

12. SmittenKitten

JordanRose, yes, I now have three :)

There was a litter of creams and lilacs I expressed interest in before I wet to view Poppy and I was looking for the advert for the litter that poppy was from to report it (BYB) and came across the advert again. They just had the one cream girl left (the one I had wanted from the start) so I just had to have her. I know I'm crazy, lol.

Introducing honey has been great though, she really playful which has brought Oscar right out if his shell - they're like partners in crime - while poppy just rolls her eyes at them :D She will join in sometimes but she prefers human cuddles and is very much the boss in our house! The dynamics are just right now and honey has slotted in nicely.

Only problem I'm having with her is that she came from a family home (great) but the family had a young girl who had taken a shine to honey and encouraged her to play with her hands. Now honey will try and play with our hands if we stroke her. I know it's just normal kitten behaviour but it does upset my daughter who thinks that honey doesn't like her as she does tend to scratch while playing with hands :/ I may start a separate thread about it as its something I'd like to discourage if possible. I'm working on getting them all to accept having their paws handled with a view to tipping their claws when they are ok with it as this will help a little I think. But otherwise she is great although all if them are lap cats and there are times when I have three on me all at once :D

Back to the problem though, I shall call the vet tomorrow and see what they suggest for the best. I'll update once I know and I'll probably need some reassurance when they go for their ops (I'm sure you're all realising what a worrier I am :D).

13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

The first kitten call tends to be rather mild on many kittens, not the loud 24/7 meowing or tarty behaviours.

Some vets will spay in heat, others won't. If you get her in next week she should be over it, and it'll be before the next cycle.

Males do remain fertile for up to 8 weeks after neutering.

14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Book her in for next week when she will have stopped calling. Vets prefer not to spay a cat that's calling as there is more risk of bleeding. Start with your own vet - ring, say she's calling, can they spay her in a week please. If no then look around.

15. SmittenKitten

Right, she's been booked in with a new vet who actually charge less than my current vet. Booked in for Monday next week, they say the calling shouldn't be a problem for the procedure. I'd really love some advice about how I can best look after her following the op.

I'm feeling a bit bad about being between vets as the one I'm with now is very good but much more expensive and the second vet has been recommended by a friend as being really good. I will have to keep with the first vet though as they are half way between vaccinations and not due the second one for another couple of weeks. Plus they are already treating Oscar for his virus and I'm going to have to take him back as he's still not over it :(

#15 SmittenKitten, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  16. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Don't feel badly about the original vet if you went back and they refused to budge. I seem to be in the process of at least partially swapping vets because the one I've used for many years doesn't do early neutering and the new one does. By early I mean 14 weeks or so, not 20+ weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice