Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hiya from manchester

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Louby, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I bought a Chorkie puppy yesterday, he is 12 weeks old, not yet had his injections, i will sort that out this week. I am a first time dog owner, i have been researching on the internet what the best way to train a puppy is, from crate training to crying in the night. It all seems to overwhelming at the moment :confused:

I started off paper training him yesterday, i have put his crate with bedding, toys and water bowl in a small space at the back door [no draughts]. He will go one the paper there when he is 'locked' in, but not when he is allowed to roam around the kitchen and lounge. He has pooped once on my carpet [behind the chair] and he has wee'd once too [luckily on some spare carpet], which i cleaned and de-odourised with one part water to one part white vinegar [something else i googled lol].

I went out today and got some puppy pads cos i was told they have a smell that attracts puppys to eliminate ont hem - well my little perry just sniffed it and then tried to crouch on my carpet again. I scooped him up and placed him on the pad, sat with him for 10 mins trying to keep him on the pad, and he wouldnt go pee :rolleyes: so i put him in his 'small space' where there is another puppy pad as i know he will go sooner or later.

I dont know what to do though, am i supposed to wait with him till he pee's cos i reckon that could take him hours!!! He shakes with the effort of trying to hold it and then relaxes and still nothing, i am scared i am gonna give him a 'no peeing' complex or something lol

helpppppppppppppppppp!!!!

L x

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF!

Don't bother with puppy pads, waste of your money! If you have a garden and you know no other dogs go in there (unless you have other dogs that have had their injections) I would train him out there!

3. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

i thought about doing that - but didnt want him to catch some god awful disease or something - i will give it a try

I think i am gonna turn into a neurotic mother :eek:ut:

thanks

L x

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Is he your first? We're all the same :thumbup:

5. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

yep - my first :)

he seemed to settle quite quickly last night - so at least thats one thing that went smoothly whooopieeeee!

L x

6. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Pups are allowed in the garden so dont worry about that.

Just take him out every half hour to an hour and after every meal and nap time. He should start peeing pooing outdoors, when he does this praise and give loads of affection. Yet if he poos/pees indoors say nothing, carry him outside and place him on the grass. He still associates going to the toilet with being outdoors.

7. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I agree with the others, wouldn't bother with pads or paper. Just take him outside every half hour or so.

Good Luck, it does get easier :D x

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

hi gl with the pup.

where in manchester are you?

9. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

thank you everyone

i will go do that now

:)

10. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum

11. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

thought i would show u a pic hope it works!!

INTRODUCING MY LITTLE EWOK!!!

Perry 008.JPG

12. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

13. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF xxx

14. flynnsmum

flynnsmum PetForums Member

Hi from another newbie to the forums. Hope the training is going well for you?

15. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

davehyde - i live in clayton

training isnt going well - but it isnt a disaster.

i have taken him out on a harness a few times today - he hates the harness, so tonight i took him out without it - he has not wee'd or poo'd at all outside - and only when i put him in his small space and leave him a while will he do anything - except one poo in the kitchen this evening [obviously not on the pad lol].

Oh well tomorrow is another day

He is now in his bed and hopefully will settle soon.

thanks for all your help today

L xx

16. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Oh bless him he's a little cutie, welcome to the forum. My sister lives in Stockport and i'm from Knutsford origanaly.

17. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

Indie - i used to live in cheadle - close to stockport!!!

Perry poop and peepee update!!!

i woke this morning to find perry had wee'd n poo'd on the pads during the night - he hadnt touched the newspaper i still had down, i got my dressing gown and slippers on [i know classy eh!!] and took him outside - and he poo'd!!!!! outside and everything - like a regular pooch!!! YAY my perry is a proper dog!!!!! :001_tt2:

Ok so he poo'd on the path instead of the designated area :rolleyes: - but hey!! he is getting there!!!

Then we got back inside - he doesnt like being out too long - he then had another poo

on

the

PAD!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

then

then

as i was replacing the puppy pad - he wee'd just inside the door to the lounge - on the carpet :eek:

so i guess what i have learnt today is

keep him outside longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Tis only his third day with me, everything is strange and new, smells are all weird ect- so i am pleased with the progress so far. I do expect 2 steps forward one step back - but for now i see progress :D

L xx

ps - am i writing in the right place? is there like an update bit to this forum? or like a general doggy convo somewhere?

ok i jut had to edit this bigtime - sheeshhh my typos lol

#17 Louby, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice