Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hitch hikers?!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sarahnorris, May 14, 2010.

1. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i have seen 2 today as iv been passing it does make me laugh as they hold there little signs up, i know my dad has picked up a couple in the past..
    (drives a big lorry all over Scotland) and has never had a problem,

me being a wimpy female would never chance it i don't think..

but has anybody else ever had any good or bad experiences with hitch hikers?
    and was it a easy ride? or was it awkward silences :lol

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

The worst one I ever picked up was about ten years ago. It was about one o clock Christmas morning and p*****g it down. Just coming onto an A road theres this bloke soaking wet with his thumb out. So thinking he is trying to get home to his family I stop and offer him a lift as far as the motorway. In he gets just a normal bloke tells me his name and that, untill we get to the end of the slip road and onto the dual carriageway. Then the conversation turns to how he is going to Yorkshire because he has got new evidence that proves he didn't kill his dad and Yorkshire police set him up. So as I am driving faster and faster down an empty road with nobody about he is giving me all the details about how his dad was murdered and naming all these police officers and what each one had done to get him locked up. He had some serious problems, I thought that was going to be the last Christmas I saw.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's why I don't pick them up. Small woman here I wouldn't trust them. I would end up with the total weirdos too

4. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I've only ever picked up trade drivers. You know the type, lost and lonely looking folks armed with those red/white reg' plates and a holdall.
    Most trucking/transport companies have a 'no rider' policy now because their insurances don't cover passengers in the event of an accident.

5. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

we see them all the time. have they just dropped a car or something off?
    OH said they get money to get back, but they try to hitch as they dont get paid a lot in the 1st place. I have no idea if he was telling me the truth or filling me with crap to shut me up lol

6. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

I've hitched before. A kind middle aged couple with a lovely (albeit slightly muddy and slobbery) dog picked me up. They were so nice and I insisted on giving them some money when they dropped me off.

As a general rule though I wouldn't recommend hitching. People have so far talked on this thread about the unsavoury characters that they have given a lift to but from the hitch hikers point of view the person driving has equal potential to be unsavoury!

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

That's right

8. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Apparently I'm told the pay is atrocious. Thumbing lifts here and there saves them the expense of travel costs. If they don't get their strategies of drop off and pick up within neighbouring areas right they're often left stranded despite having to be in a certain place for a certain time. :mad:
    It's a job I wouldn't do even though they often get to drive some really nice vehicles.
    As for me, I used to spend all day everyday hauling freight in vehicles the motorist despises to see on his roads. They get you down, the miles grind you down and the traffic jams and motorway tail backs drive you insane. Wheels were made round to go round. But there were many occasions they wouldn't go anywhere for bloody hours! :frown:

#8 Zaros, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  9. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Lol....i've seena few hitchhikers.

I remember once just about to go on the M1 at Junction 24 (At the traffic lights) there was this man holding a board saying London Airport. He had all his bags and looked very upset....next thing i see is he starts walking into the traffic...was very scarey :(. The man must of be desparate :eek6:

10. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

my OH drives up and down the country most days for work usually to drop a bloody cable off to go to and fix something stupid to do with a computer, or Audits etc. He gets stuck in traffic a lot when it comes to accidents etc, but there are perks to his job, on a good day he gets home early. Hes ment to go back to the office, but he just claims hes gone somewhere else most of the time lol

11. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i have hitched a few times before when i was younger. at the time i wasnt worried about what could happen to me but looking back now :eek6:

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'd never pick anyone up on my own - but when I've been in the car with OH we've picked up some occasionally.

Trade delivery drivers we've dropped them at train stations.

We once picked up 3 lads who's car had broken down on the way to a festival, we got chatting and they were lovely lads and we knew the local roads so offered to take them into the festival via some back roads which meant we could get them closer and we wouldn't get stuck in traffic, we were on our way to our parents so stopped off there to let them know what we were doing. My mum invited the lads in for a cup of tea and to use the facilities. A few weeks later my parents recieved a letter of thanks.
    For the next 5 years the lads stopped at my parents for a cup of tea and to say hi. :thumbup:

13. Muriel May

Muriel May Guest

I would never do it or my O/H, you just dont know who you might pick up. :(

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

we picked up a pair of hitch hikers once.... had quite a good conversation with them and they were only in the car about 15 minutes. cant remember where we picked them up or dropped them off, I was only about 9 but we had to clean the car afterwards, they bloody stunk!!

Personally I don't think i'd do it, unless they looked as though they were ill or injured and really needed it...and weren't weilding any weapons, and weren't bigger or burlier than me (which would be a hard task, they'd have to be a right weed lol) and weren't covered in blood that wasn't their own... lol

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I used to hitch loads, round Britain and in Europe, usually on my own (as a 5'2" woman), and also picked up hitchers. There was the odd slightly dodgy moment, iffy suggestion, but the worst was a church minister who had recorded sermons in the cassette player in the car. Although he would have taken me all the way to wherever I was going to, I made excuses and got out early, just couldn't take it any more! Most people were just nice, kind and helpful. One lorry driver I'll never forget bought my dinner - I didn't have enough money on me. I would hitch into town and back until a few years ago when I got my own car.
    You don't see people hitching anything like so much any more, there's a more general culture of suspicion I think. There used to be several people hitching at most motorway junctions back in the 70's.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice