Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hit by car or something more sinister?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by koekemakranka, Oct 14, 2013.

1. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

One of "my" feral cats has been severely injured. She disappeared for almost two days and she reappeared on Saturday morning with a huge wide gash just above the eye (not bleeding), her eye completely swollen shut and limping very heavily. I have been treating her with antibiotics as well as metacam as precribed by my lovely vet and she has come on in leaps and bounds. Her eye is no longer closed as of this morning and she is moving much easier. Are the wounds consistent with a car strike or could it be something more sinister? The human inflicted wounds I have seen on ferals are generally broken bones, bruisings from kickings and broken jaws but often no obvious open wounds, unless stones were trhown at her. She is very "wild" so would not be likely to go near a human in any case., She is a spayed female: is there a possibility she could have been attacked by another cat, perhaps an unneutered male from outside the colony? My experience is that the severity of the injury is not common for a spayed feral female involved in a fight. Your thoughts please. And please hold thumbs for her speedy recovery. My OH and I are very fiond of this little one: she is a loner and is not really close to the other 3 ferals (her mother and two older half-siblings) in "my" group.

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Poor girl, hope she will be a lot better soon. Is it possible she could have got caught up in any machinery or been inside a car? Sending her healing vibes.

3. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

My neighbours brother moved in next door with three un neutered Toms and the two litter mates attacked three of my neautered cats. Jessy had three really deep teeth bites in his belly. He was screaming when trying to be examined at the vets.

On Sunday Fats went outside, ten minutes later he cames back in with skin ripped from above his eye, dripping bood. At end of the day his arm had swollen up. We thought he'd been hit by a car but tuned out his had three very deep punture wounds on the underside of his upper leg.

So yeah I guess some cats can inflict quite server wounds. I hope if it's a cat that this will be a one off.

#3 gentoo1980, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  4. koekemakranka

No comment :p But I am a feral trapper in my spare time, and I am considering trapping and neutering all the toms in my area: stray or not...:mad: I spend a great deal of my own time and money ensuring my own (indoor) cats and my ferals are all sterilised, well cared for and then these bloody unneutered housecats come along and interfere and harrass my colony and yowl and spray and upset my indoor cats....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    We're allowed most types of firearms here (licensed), including handguns and shotguns. (BTW before you think I am some sort of crazy, I don't own a firearm of any kind, only a water pistol to see off the hadedas)

5. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Aw bless her, wishing her a speedy recovery :)
    Are her claws scuffed? This usually happens if they are hit by a car. Tends to be pelvis damage too, which leg/legs is she limping on?
    However gash on head sounds like a fight wound :confused:
    Em

6. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

if THESE CATS COME AND HASSLE YOURS AGAIN I WOULD THROW A BIG BOWL OF WATER AT THEM, I HAD A GINGER COMING INTOMY GARDEN, A FEW YEARS AGO, TRIED THE WATER SPRAYING ETC, BUT GOT SO FED UP ONE DAY,I CHUCKED A BIG BUCKET FUL OF WATER, NEVER SAW HIM AGAIN
    I HOPE YOUR CAT IS FEELING BETTER KOEKEMAKRANKA[ Sorry just realised caps on,] it could possibly be a car accident, doesn't sound like a cat fight injury to me, hope its not human inflicted, healing vibes sent

7. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Any point in trapping them? Or if you know the owners, you could coonsider 'casually' asking them if their cat has had an STD check recently, as he seems to 'get around' a bit and may well be infected. Or ringworm - that can be passed to humans, after all... :devil:

If you don't know the owners, a paper collar to the same effect night work if you can get close enough :devil:

8. gentoo1980

I put off a local girl who was going to take a stray cat I was keeping an eye on (R.S.P.C.A were taking him) from taking him in, told her he'd been near my cats and they had Clamidia. Which I belived at the time they did but the vet never blood tested so don't think they ever had it now unless they can cure them selves. Haven't had conjuntivitus in four or more years but she freaked out a little.

9. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I think some things may be viewed upon a bit differently in South Africa, where the OP lives....

10. gentoo1980

I helped trap the local ferrels and some strays in my area. Very hard work with the ferrels. I'd love to neuter the local toms as having a problem with a few spraying and caught one trying to mount my spayed cat last month. I thought they only mounted if a cat was in heat.

My best defence against Toms was my Cat George, he'd just go crazy at them, they'd never try and fight back unless he wouldn't let them run off. I guess they didn't want to waste energy fighting a neutered male.

Then when he became ill Jessey took over but would only attack if they entered the house.

Thought maybe a pellet gun would hurt like hell but wouldn't cause injury. One of my cats strayed for a few month and came back with a shot gun pellet under his skin but luckily it didn't split up into little pieces when it entered his body. Now I think of it maybe a shot gun and a pellet gun are the same thing.:confused:

#10 gentoo1980, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  11. koekemakranka

No, unfortunately they are completely feral and belong to no one. They live in the permises of the office block next door. My OH and I take care of them: they ged fed 2 X daily and they are all 4 spayed/neutered. They are not "friendly" ferals (I prefer to keep them that way so that they don't approach strangers) and they have been trapped before for sterislisation, so I am unsure if they will go into a trap again. I have to weight up the benefits of exposing the feral to undue stress to get treatment or to treat her in situ and hope she gets better.
    An update, she didn't turn up for her food this morning, so I am very worried. If she has internal injuries, then she may have succumbed to them, even though it seemed she was looking much better. I will keep trying to find her and if she looks any worse, I will try to trap her and get her to the vet.

12. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

Any news on your girl?

13. bella2013

bella2013 PetForums VIP

aw i hope she's doing ok?

gentoo if your cat was shot with a shotgun i think it would be dead an there would be more than pellet in it. a pellet gun is an air gun and would still be likely to really harm a cat or even kill it. I think even mentioning using a gun on a cat is disgusting.

14. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Pellet guns CAN do a lot of damage, someone I know almost lost her cat after being shot with an airgun, the pellet went through his thigh, and his stomach and badly damaged his spleen, he was very lucky to survive, and spent a lot of time in the vet hospital after having to be operated on, so it more than just hurts, they can kill

15. bella2013

bella2013 PetForums VIP

oh i so agree jaycee if an air gun can kill a big buck hare straight away it will definatly kill a cat. my boyfriends does game keeping and even he was shocked at was said.

any news on how your cats doing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice