Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

his behaviour is getting worse....

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by mummiesofRio, Jun 13, 2010.

1. mummiesofRio

mummiesofRio PetForums Member

We've had Rio since he was 10 weeks old. We got him from a pet shop, we never planned on getting any animals from such a place as we don't agree with it but popped in one day & saw him on his own looking very sorry for himself & in much need of rescuing. The woman happened to mention in conversation about a litter that had been recently abandoned around the back of the shops & handed into her. We didn't think anything of it at the time, until we discovered he was extremely ill. He was very underweight & after several visits to the vets, they agreed to do some tests....the amount of parasites in his body was off the scale they showed us & he had severe roundworm - given to him by his mum, he very nearly died. We went back to the petshop & demanded to know his background & when she checked her file - she had no record of him or his litter mates....he was from the abandoned litter although she'd never admit it. So Rio was feral for his first 9/10 weeks.

Now however, although he's fully recovered & has thrived really well with us - better than anyone expected. BUT he's viscious! & seems to be getting worse. He used to be quite needy & would sit on our laps for hours, now he only ever comes to us when he wants food! If we stroke him he allows it for a minute or so then bites - not really hard but hard enough!! Also, more so recently on 3 or 4 occassions he's gone as far as to pin his ears back, lash out with all paws & stare with his teeth bared, it's quite scary.

If anyone knows of any reason he's doing this, please do share your thoughts as it's upsetting to see him like this. We give him as much space & time to be alone as he needs & he doesn't want for anything, he's a much loved part of the family & certainly not scared or nervous. Thank you :)

#1 mummiesofRio, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

My Max came from a petshop, he was also full of worms and was very ill - we took him off them as he was only around 6 weeks old. We had him on the a/d diet for a while and had to watch that he didn't get any other food. As he grew he was quite agressive at times, one time someone laughed at him and he went for them, also he would get very moody if you had to move him or stroked him the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, he had his soppy moments but you really had to know him and read him to get on with him. He's now 8years old and has mellowed out a lot, you still have to watch him at times but he's easy to read.

All I can suggest is lots of play and distraction from the food and in time he'll calm down.

3. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Our cat, Pickle, who was rescued from a farmers bucket.. therefore very very ferral, came to us at about 7 weeks and he's now 4.
    He still bites and will go to scratch you if you walk past and he wants something or your attention.

But.. he can also be a big soft bear, loves being held like a baby (ish) and will come for attention when he wants it.

I totally agree with HoneyFern about the 'reading' of him - you just have to know what's happening, when he likely to think 'I've had enough now'... And yes, lots of play and affection when he's in the 'mood' for it and I'll bet those moods come more often. Hope it goes well :) x

4. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

How old is your kitty now? And has he been neutured?

5. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I agree with the Twins, is he neutered? If not, then this step may decrease his agression. Also, my vet told me that some cats have a sensory overload when they lash out for no reason during strokes when I had some similar behaviours with my girl, Tig. He might be going through some horrible adolesent phase. My cat was awful for a long time, but being patient and giving her space, like you're doing with your boy, helped her chill out. He sounds like he's in a a brilliant loving environment, just keep going! :thumbup:

6. mummiesofRio

mummiesofRio PetForums Member

Thank you all for your replies, I guess we'll just have to carry on as we are, giving him love and affection but on his terms. We're able to read him most of the time, i guess but there's always those few times where he just lashes out for no apparent reason & with no warning.
    He's only 2 days younger than your kitten :D and yes, he's neutered, we had him 'done' at around 5 & a half months - & here's us thinking that it was meant to calm them down :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice