Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hip Scoring a Golden Retreiver (not for breeding purposes!)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenShadow, May 5, 2010.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I had always thought I would like to get Roo hip scored and now its a matter of I think I ought to do it because I am a little concerned. May as well get his elbows done too...

When he was young he would never jump only clamber onto things and I thought oh he's just a puppy and that's what he does. He would jump up to lean on people etc, and he will do that with the car but he has never actually jumped onto or into something. Some people say some dogs never do it, but he will watch other dogs do it like Chloe and Brodie on the hay bales and if he can't climb up he just sort of sits on the floor and accepts he can't get up there :( When I ask him to get off the sofa or something he quite often gets his front end off but will rest his back end on the sofa and is very reluctant to get off, don't know if he's just being a pig though to be honest..!

I don't want to go trying to teach him to jump up if there is a weakness in his hips either, hence I would rather get him scored before I do anything like that. I know its probably not great for him to jump a lot either, but I've not got a very good back and it would help if he'd take a bit more of his weight or use his initiative a little when he wants to do things.

Not rung my vet yet, but does it matter who does the X ray? Some say you need an experienced vet, or one who has done it before, when others say absolutely anyone can do it even if they haven't done it before, does it matter, is there anyone I should ask for in particular?

Also, is there anything specific I should ask or tell them, or can I literally book him in and get it done? The lady who works there in the week isn't exactly great on the phone so it would be better if I know a bit more about who to ask for/if I need to tell them anything, if you know what I mean?!

I'm assuming it could cost up to about £300 and so I don't think cost matters too much, but I really would like the scores to be right and I've heard all these things about if the dog's position isn't quite perfect the scoring can be way off and so you need someone experienced to do it etc...none of the local people I know have had theirs done anywhere near me so can't really go on their recommendation.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas! :)

ETA: he will be 2 on August 12th (so now he is almost 21 months old or 1 year and 3/4), is this an OK time to get it done, do you think? I think my vets will just do it anyway you see regardless of when might be the best time (depends who is on at the time etc).

#1 GoldenShadow, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

If you go to a vet like the one I use, you wouldn't have to pay for the BVA to score him. This vet used to be on the scoring panel, and he can give you an unofficial score himself.

3. rona

rona Guest

With something like this, I would be inclined to get in done when he is in for something else.
    He obviously hasn't got a huge problem and you are aware of it, would you actually do anything different if it showed a mild problem?

4. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Doesnt really matter if you get him done now, we tend to have ours done between 12 - 18 months, but have had one done just recently and she is now 2 1/2 had her results back earlier in the week and they were good.

As for not jumping onto or into things Cloud doesnt but he is just lazy :rolleyes:.

The vet - better if you can find someone who has done it before, we travel 3 hours to the person who does ours but she isnt a vet she is a radiographer, we find she takes the time to make sure that the spine is straight etc and she does them with only a light sedative. We always get ours scored as you then have the result of the panel, we used to use one vet who was on the panel and he would give us an idea but he was way out on quite a few of them and didnt find he was that good with taking the x rays either ;)

Hope this helps

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I agree with Rona, but if you do go ahead be warned if he does have a problem he will be in a right state after the xrays because of the way they have to position them to take the pics :( I would'nt put him through it if you are not going to breed from him & he's not showing any signs of lameness.

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I always think hip scoring is a good idea whether deciding to breed or not, but I think it helps highlight faults in the breeding line which often hides in the line when the puppies go to pet homes.

My hips and elbows cost me £225 with sedation rather than GA. The cost for the BVA is only £45 (that was included in the £225) so it pays to get an actual score. Some vets are ok at guessing, but when all said and done the BVA are experts.

You just ask the vets for hip and elbow scoring films. If you ring around as the prices vary greatly for each vet, but I wouldn't expect to pay more that £270 for both hips and elbows (elbows are more expensive than hips as they require 2 films).

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

But if he does have a problem, surely its better to know now? The position isnt bad. A lot of dogs lie similar naturally anyway.

8. Dally Banjo

Yes agree, just the state Banjo was in when he went but he has back problems to so that may have been why :confused: I did'nt realise they can just have a light sedation either so that would be better :)

9. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Dont know what they did to poor Banjo we have never had a problem and we have had many many dogs scored, hope he is ok now though ;)

10. Dally Banjo

He had his whole back xrayed & then his hips he has HD in the left & osteoarthritus in his back which is the main problem but he's ok with his potions & various treatments thanks :) Knowing Banjo he probably fell off the table :rolleyes:

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If you do go ahead and have him scored, I'd suggest you have his plates submitted to the BVA for actual scoring, rather than just an unofficial estimate.

And yes, it does matter who you use, the vet I used to do Indie's elbows had never done them before, and completely mucked up the plates, and it had to be done again. Hip scoring is done more regularly, but mistakes are still made when taking the plates. One lady I know of was told her Labrador dog had such bad scores (vet's opinion from the plates he'd taken) that she shouldn't contemplate breeding from him, she got a second set of plates done with a vet more experienced at taking plates for hip scoring, and he had nice low hip scores when submitted to the BVA. Ask for advice/recommendations within your local area about where to take him.

12. GoldenShadow

Thanks guys.

If I found out he had a problem I probably would do quite a lot differently, to be honest. He would be completely banned from the stairs and I'd stick him on the higher costing supplements as opposed to the low dose maintenance ones I was thinking of getting anyway. I'd be more careful of working him on hard ground as well, doing less roadwork etc. I've always gone quite easy on him but I am genuinely concerned right now...

When I did some searching a year or so ago, I found out a pup sired by Roo's sire had a score of 49, though of course I know nothing about the dog or who its dam was.

I had been thinking last week I might take him for a check up anyway, I would like them to have a general look over him and so it could be done at the same time. He's not really Rupert right now but it might just be a funny phase. Thing is he gets so funny there it would probably be easier for them to check him over sedated anyway so he doesn't get in such a blind panic about it.

On Monday I took him out again and he looked lame when with the other two. I stopped him and had a look and he might just have been having a hoppity moment because he was OK after that, but his gait gives the impression there is some kind of stiffness in his back end (this is from a horsey point of view, I don't know how different dogs are!), he can literally have a different gait every day and I'm just not sure if everything is right. At least if I find out he is OK, I can just put it down to him being a lazy git and teach him to use his back end more when he walks.

Thanks Sleeping Lion too, should I ask my vets which ones have done it before or is there any info I can ask them about to know what they are like? I only know people out Horncastle way, most get them done a couple hours away as they breed so don't know about more local places.

13. GoldenShadow

If there is a problem with his hips, will I be covered by insurance..? He was with Argos Gold which is NOT a lifetime policy til Feb, and since the middle of Feb he has been with Argos Platinum which is lifelong, but not sure if hip problems could be classed as something that might have been present since birth and therefore before he was insured :confused:

14. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

You should still be covered. They only usually count the first day of being noticed as the first day of problem. Providing you don't tell them you noticed more than a year ago you should be fine

15. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Trouble is that in breeds that are known to have hereditary probs somewhere in the small print there is normally a disclaimer - read it through well hun

16. GoldenShadow

I've tried to make sure I can cover something like this but you never know how much it might end up being..! He's never actually had any problems I'm just very over cautious and wrap the little git in cotton wool a bit too much :eek:

17. GoldenShadow

From what I can tell if there has been no evidence of a problem 10 days before the policy started it is OK. To be fair it says if I renewed a policy the 10 days doesn't count and its automatically covered. I think I paid for one month of the renewed gold, then upgraded to the platinum...

18. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Dont worry about it until it is a problem, he sounds just a normal everyday golden retriever :thumbup: stop your worrying and enjoy him might be up your way before long so will try to meet up x

19. Dally Banjo

If you think he looks a bit odd walking then get him checked out then as you say things can be done to help :) The insurance should pay if the vet recomends the xrays even if he has had a problem since day one its only if you were aware of it before takeing out the policy they wont pay.

All dogs walk differenty Banjo very rarely shows any problem but he does have a strange wobble motion when walking as if he is drunk :rolleyes: & sometimes scuffs his claws when on the pavement, we originally took him because he was limping with one of his front legs so his diagnosis was a total shock :( Occasionaly he has a bunny hop motion when runing but we try not to let him :rolleyes:

20. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

They need to sedate dogs to score elbows and hips?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice