Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hip Dysplasia

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jenny Olley, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I know of someone who has been told by their vet to get their GSD hip x-rayed at 12 months. The dog is never going to be used as stud, but the vet says it needs doing so if something is wrong, they can start treatment.
    The dog is not showing any signs of having any problems the vet has told the owner its just routine, I have never come across this before, has anyone else ?

2. Labs

Labs PetForums Newbie

:mad: sound like the vet wants to make a few pounds. I work in a vets and they will only x-ray hips to be sent away for scoring for breeding stock or if the dog looks like he may have something wrong, but never just incase.

3. Jenny Olley

I thought it was unusual, as a dog trainer if we had a dog that was struggling to jump we would recommend hip scoring, to rule out any medical cause, but never just in case.

4. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Dont you just love some vets!
    The people who you think you can trust! Huh. :rolleyes:

5. Labs

Labs PetForums Newbie

Also some dogs have been scored badly but never suffered, so why would a vet want to start treatment anyway if the dog was showing no signs of lameness, crazy. It may well be a young vet trying to impress, i have seen this many times:rolleyes:

6. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Could also be trying to take advantage of who he thinks is a nieve owner! :mad:

7. Labs

Labs PetForums Newbie

Think you have hit the nail on the head.

8. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Never heard of this either, maybe a change of vets???

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

sounds like his just trying to make extra money, and worry the owner for no reason
    if there is no sign of him having a problem and they are not breeding from him
    then why pay out for it.
    i would change vets. :) sounds like his not in the welfare of the animals rather to make extra money,
    and how meny owners has he got money out of for treatment that the dogs dont need for giving to much treatment too, like extra tablets and things like that.

10. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

I thought all gsd's got hip scored :confused:
    I learnt something new.

do you only do it if you plan to breed then?

11. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you can tell if somethings wrong with a dog that might have bad hips
    but fade why hip score if you not going to breed the dog or if no sign of the dog having bad hips?

12. Fade to Grey

idk, never really thought about it, i thought most people got it dont like with the baer tests.
    naive i guess?

13. carol

carol PetForums VIP

as yu cant have a hip score untill they are older than a year it nnot the same thing as a baer test come on miss you lost it think,
    lol :) you know all this

14. Fade to Grey

lol probably, blame mm we have to live with him! :p

15. Jenny Olley

My big objection would be putting the dog under a general anasthetic, that and the owner would find themselves £200 worse off, my advice was don't have it done, but I wondered if I was out of date.

16. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i agree jenny putting a dog under for something that not needed
    ok if they were going to breed from him, but anasthetic's can be dangerous and cost so much
    why take the risk, if nothing wrong

17. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Jenny, I cannot believe that there are so many unscrupulous vets out there. My first German Shepherd was diagnosed at the age of 10 months with hip dysplasier, and when I changed vets, my then vet, requested the x-rays. When I explained that Ben had never undergone an x-ray, my vet told me to go home and enjoy my dog! He did state however, that should Ben show any signs of discomfort to take him back immediately.

He did suffer with arthritis and the vet suggested trying 'Rustox' (not sure of spelling), and there was no need for any further medication at all.

This brings me nicely back to my previous post on vets, annual vaccinations and all!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice