Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hip dysplasia

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by conehead, Jun 28, 2010.

1. conehead

conehead PetForums Junior

Hi.

One of our springer spaniels has been confirmed with hip dysplasia (both sides)
    He is only 7. He is on meds at the moment, and then surgery.

The vet said he'd never seen hip dysplasia this bad in a 7 year old.

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your dog :frown: hope the surgery goes well x

3. conehead

Thanks
    Dally Banjo.
    He said once fixed he should be like a new dog. I sure hope so.

4. rona

rona Guest

How devastating :(
    The operation usually gives them a new lease of life.
    It's going to be hard on both of you, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

5. pamela Renfrew

pamela Renfrew PetForums Senior

Wow.... that is very young.... my German shepherd got it real bad last year when he was 11 and obviously half expected it being as he was a gsd....They wouldnt operate as he was "too Old".... I tried lots of things from metacam, remidyl even got him a custome made cart to hold his back end up which was fine for walking but he couldnt relax very well in it... Old age is hard on your dogs and pets..... At least your vet will operate... that should fix the problem... Good Luck.. Pam

6. conehead

Thanks Rona and Pam.

It does look like being numerous months of convalescence after the operations.
    He'll get lots of TLC from us.

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Actually 7 is quite late for the onset of HD. The fact that it has taken this long to show itself is a good sign, means that he will probably cope very well on pills for a while before degressing enough to need surgery.

I wish you luck with the surgery x

8. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Thats what I thought, its usually puppy hood that is diagnosed in, but saying that I had a Lab that was slightly lame as a pup and diagnosed with HD but showed no signs after a few months and lived till 14:confused:

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Another one thinking 7 is quite late, and not really understanding how a vet can say it's such a severe case; as a comparison I've heard of much much younger dogs with very severe HD, diagnosed from several months of age to only a couple of years old? Unless this is one of only a few cases of hip dysplasia your vet has seen?

Good luck with the surgery, hope all goes well.

10. Sorry to hear about your dog, there are surgical procedures available to correct this.

Just one thing! you say your dog is 7 years of age, the vet says it is the worse case he has seen! Were there no signs of the HD prior to the diagnosis?

DT

11. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I have to agree with others, HD is not just something that appears later in life, so he has obviously coped very well with it up till now. Also, if I had a £ for every time someone said their dog had the worst case of HD they'd ever seen! Because so many dogs cope well with HD, it often doesn't cause any problems until older, but the problem will have been there for many years. In fact, I suspect there are a lot more dogs with HD whose owners are blissfully unaware, which is why it is so important to have hip scores. As he's coped well until now, I would think he stands a good chance of doing well.

Good luck with the op.

#11 rocco33, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  12. Dally Banjo

They can be masters of disguise :rolleyes: we were just lucky to find out earlyish when he was 3 & half we thought he'd hurt his front leg as was limping on that so it was pretty devistating to hear he had HD & wrecked his back because of it :frown:

What meds did they give you conehead?

13. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Hopefully as he is 7 and managed OK so far he will really come through the surgery well :thumbup:

My friend has a lab who is now 10, and at 8 months old (a pup) he had surgery on both of his hips and when he starts running from a stand still you can see his back end is almost a bit more stiff looking than other dogs who haven't had HD, its hard to explain you can tell he had a problem at one point but it doesn't impair him, can only tell when he does one of his quick bunny hops from being sat down to running like a silly bugger :D As he had it so young he will go lame if he were to go shooting as an example, because for him that's too much but he works on the farm every day with her OH and does great.

The surgery they can do for HD is so good now that hopefully your boy will come through really well, still youngish at 7 too :)

14. conehead

Thanks for all your input.
    About a year ago, he developed a bad limp. Took him to the vets and he was given anti inflammatory tablets and pain killers. Was told to come back if it persists.
    It cleared up nicely, and he was his old self until a few weeks ago, when it all started up again.
    This time they did x-rays.

Photo below: left to right, Alfie (the one with the hip problem), Misty and Gemma. VERY rare to get them all in one photo as they never stay still long enough.

#14 conehead, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  15. Dally Banjo

Awwwwwwwwww great pic :)

16. conehead

Thanks Dally Banjo:)

17. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

With HD it's not unusual to see animals with very bad degenerative changes with very few clinical signs, and then on the other hand, animals with mild changes to the bone but with severe lameness problems.
    I've seen a couple of canine hip replacements now and they are pretty awesome to watch. It never fails to amaze me how quickly they pop back up after the op and can walk like normal in no time. :D

18. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Hi,

Just so you know you;re not on your own my rescue dog Kes (14months) has HD and has done since birth as his hips never formed due to poor breeding. The x-ray the vets showed me looks like the below (apologies for the artistic work :D :D :D :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He bunny hops all over the place but still enjoys a good run around after frisbees and the other two. He does get a bit stiff though.

I make sure his hips are always dried off when he has been swimming (everyday as it helps apparantly) and he gets all manner of joint suppliments in his food.

He won't be going for surgery though. Poor little fella. Such a sweet dog too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dally Banjo

I would'nt persue a carreer as an artist hutch6 ;) :lol: its amazing realy how they manage Im all set to watch that bionic vet tonight on bbc1 they have a dog on it to with major arthritus so should be interesting :)

20. conehead

Thanks for you input HannahKate, and thanks for the drawings Hutch. Kes is cute.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice