UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So here is Logan's X-ray which shows he has hardly any right hip socket left!! Have to take him back in two weeks for check up, he's on carprodyl 50mg twice daily and synoquin!

My problem is ... He hasn't really been lame, just stiff after exercise sometimes but not alway, he runs, jumps, climbs on and off sofa with no problems at all!

Do I give carprodyl constantly as the vet has suggested?? I would have thought he should have it only when he's sore?!

I have had him on glucosamine for a year now, and matrix just because they are so crazy with a ball! They would both jump four feet in the air to catch quite happily!! :scared:
They also have devils claw now and apple cider vinegar!

What do I do? I don't want to fry his liver with daily NSAID's?!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Was there any signs of pain on orthopaedic exam and manipulating the hips?
Or does he show any signs of pain in general, I think the problems start occuring more once there are any arthritic changes to the hips which comes later on sometimes.

If he is showing no signs or pain or hesitation when doing things and at the moment is completely unbothered, then I would discuss it further with your vet about have him constantly on NSAIDs at the moment and maybe think about using it as and when you might have too if he really doesnt need them at the moment. I know he is on other supplements, but it might even be worth trying Mobile Bones Ive had great results with it for Kobis re-occuring lameness that they couldnt find a reason for, and Im pretty sure its Sixstar whos got a dog with HD who was on NSAIDs and with the Mobile Bones he now only has to have it occasionally when he really overdoes it.

Hopefully she will see the thread but you could also perhaps PM or leave a message on her visitors message and ask for advice.

If you want to read more up on it in the meantime
Dogs Joint Supplement | Glucosamine for Dogs | Mobile Bones | Pooch and Mutt

There are also these suggestions from the Natural medicines centre that may be of interest, I think you can even contact for advice

arthritis/joint problems

Animate: a powder containing a natural source of Chrondroitin with Vitamin C especially useful in the early stages of arthritis.

Can B: a supplement containing minerals and vitamins (especially Boron) which help to strengthen bones and joints

Cortavet: a supplement containing Chondroitin, Glucosamine Hyaluronic acid and MSM, chondroprotective agents which promote cartilage formation and joint lubrication.

Magnopulse magnetic collar: the magnetic field of this collar stimulates blood flow to diseased tissue and has an anti inflammatory and pain killing effect.

Yarrow: a combination of herbs that have traditionally been used to relieve inflammation and stiffness of joints.

Animal Magic Vitamin C & Royal Jelly: helps strengthen weakened bones and joints.

Arthotabs: a supplement containing green lipped mussel and other nutrients that nourish diseased joints and help relieve symptoms of arthritis.

Cartamine: a Glucosamine based supplement that helps repair damaged cartilage in arthritic joints.

Cod Liver Oil: a fish oil supplement proven to improve joint mobility.

Glycovetriflex: a supplement containing green lipped mussel and other natural remedies that improve strength and flexibility of arthritic joints.

Dr Reckeweg R 73: a homoeopathic combination for arthritis, especially of the back, shoulders, hips and knees
http://www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

He is still so spaced out this morning! God know what concoction of meds they gave him yesterday, they said to give carprodyl when we got him home as he hadnt had any painkillers! Yet when I phoned the emergency vet (who xrayed and discharged him to me!) he said he had had a painkiller with his pre med so maybe with the carprodyl it has caused a reaction making it tough to get out of his system! He sits here at the no with a ball in his mouth and his head rolling round but with his eyes open so it's not even that he's dozing off to sleep!

Vets are ringing me shortly to see how he is and I will let them know I'm more than unhappy that I wasn't told of the possible side effects of carprodyl let alone that he shouldn't really have had it last night!!

I hate vets!! :scared: :mad: :(

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Fred was on carprophen for years under the PDSA with his hip dysplasia. When I went back private last year the orthapedic vet took him off because he didn't think he needed to be on on it all of the time. Fred has had more frequent and more aggressive incidents this year, not sure if it's related!? We're seeing Sarah Fisher in February when she's coming up to do a pain and posture seminar. We saw her once before and she was great with him, taught us a lot, but if he's in worse pain with no tablets then I want him back on them so he goes back to being just annoying, rather than a liability!

I'd rather he have less good years than more painful years.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Firstly thank you SLED DOG HOTEL, between you and SWARTHY there is so much advice available re HD :)

To the OP: I would definitely complain to the vet, in writing if necessary so there is a record.

My dog has HD and we've been given Metacam but I hate the idea of him constantly being on medication so instead I've ordered Devil's Claw and will give it as and when he seems to need it.

If you're not happy with your vet's advice, remember you can always get a second opinion :)

Really hope your boy feels better soon :)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks for that.

He is still so spaced out this morning! God know what concoction of meds they gave him yesterday, they said to give carprodyl when we got him home as he hadnt had any painkillers! Yet when I phoned the emergency vet (who xrayed and discharged him to me!) he said he had had a painkiller with his pre med so maybe with the carprodyl it has caused a reaction making it tough to get out of his system! He sits here at the no with a ball in his mouth and his head rolling round but with his eyes open so it's not even that he's dozing off to sleep!

Vets are ringing me shortly to see how he is and I will let them know I'm more than unhappy that I wasn't told of the possible side effects of carprodyl let alone that he shouldn't really have had it last night!!

I hate vets!! :scared: :mad: :(
Did they tell you too that NSAIDs shouldnt be given on an empty stomach?
They often forget, it can increase the risks of gastric upsets. Years ago I had to have one of mine on Rimadyl had no choice as without them she was bad and in pain in later life due to neck and spinal problems. I alsoways give mine about 1o/15 minutes after a meal.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Fred was on carprophen for years under the PDSA with his hip dysplasia. When I went back private last year the orthapedic vet took him off because he didn't think he needed to be on on it all of the time. Fred has had more frequent and more aggressive incidents this year, not sure if it's related!? We're seeing Sarah Fisher in February when she's coming up to do a pain and posture seminar. We saw her once before and she was great with him, taught us a lot, but if he's in worse pain with no tablets then I want him back on them so he goes back to being just annoying, rather than a liability!

I'd rather he have less good years than more painful years.
She is Brilliant, if your interested OP there is a couple of her videos on You tube that explains about tellington touch and worth a look.

Sarah Fisher from TTouch UK introduces TTouch - YouTube

Sarah Fisher's Tellington TTouch Lecture

Reactions: Cleo38
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.