Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Highway robbery or essential?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nina, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I raised the topic of annual vaccinations last year on the forum and the response was quite surprising.

I absolutely do feel that veterinarians have long been over vaccinating and questioned their ethics. Is it money motivation or really for the good of our pets!

I came across this article and know Catherine O'Driscoll extremely well. What are your thoughts?

D for Dog - Questioning Annual Dog Vaccinations

2. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

The problem with annual vac,s is ;
    It doesnt matter who say,s what about them , there are very few boarding kennels that will take your dog without them having had their annual booster :eek:hmy:, and having the proof that they have had them.:confused:
    I think its all wrong but if you need your dogs to go into kennels you have no choice ,its a type of blackmail really, should never be, but thats how it is!:mad:

3. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I think maybe this is another reason why us petsitters are so busy :)

Over vaccination can cause all manner of problems, and how many vets do you know who take your pets temperature and give a health check before administering the booster!

The article quoted in my initial thread is really interesting.

4. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I have discussed this on here & other forums many times...

My dogs only have their early years vaccine & booster for the first 2 years, they have since been titre tested by my own vet who is also a friend.

I don't have the problem of having to Kennel my dogs if i go away, my family are my dog sitters & likewise if any of my family go away...;)

Oh and just to add my last Akita lived to be 14 & was only vaccinated upto the age of 3

#4 Dingle, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I am not willing to risk it. It may or may not be a con but I will always vaccinate my two.

6. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Shen had his initial course and first booster after that my vet who I have known for over 25 years and I trust told me they weren't necessary.

However I needed to board him for one evening when myself and DH got married. It had been four years since his booster and I expected to have to have another full course. My vet told me as long as it was done within 5 years of the booster another full course was not needed.

The kennel looked at his vaccination record and accepted him no problem.

7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

It makes you wonder how much influence the makers of these vaccines have, on the veterinary fraternity!

8. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I wouldn't know about other vets, but my vet does a health check every time we go to the vets. Bailey will be going for his booster next month.
    x

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

My eldest one doesnt have the yearly booster i dont put him in kennels so ime not going to over vaccinate him i brought it up with the vets and she agreed with me, she wouldnt have suggested it though but would have happily vaccinated him every year.

10. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Con or not...i'd have it done, you just never know.

Besides wasnt there a rise in measles (german or otherwise) after people refused to give their kids the MMR vac??

Dont think i'd take the risk of my boy getting something he could have been protected from...never forgive myself. I've seen the results of distemper, not pretty!!!

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I have just had our Bichon done this year for the first time since his puppy vaccinations 5 years ago. We have recently got another puppy who has been fully vaccinated and it worried me a bit that my other dog wasn't up to date with his so I had him done although really I don't agree with vaccinating every year. I told the vet my concerns and he said they don't give them everything every year and some of the things they only give every 3 years. I don't know what to do next year - whether to carry on vaccinating or not.:confused: Also what made me have him done is that he has started going to a new groomers and they like the dogs to be vaccinated.

12. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Not a risk worth taking, I'll be getting Sammy's done! :D

13. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

I get mine done every 15 months. If your dog needed treatment for something they could have been protected from by a vaccine I am not sure that the insurance would cover the cost.

14. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

As far as I'm concerned its just not worth the risk mine are done every year and my vet does a full health check before he vaccinates them

15. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

They would now as the vets now recognise that a yearly vax is not needed as they are protected, mine had them yearly till he was 4 he is 9 this month and had just had his again, the little one will also have them yearly till she is 4

16. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

17. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Thanks for that i may do that then with mine, the dog I have now is 20 months old. My last one I lost when she was 16yrs.

18. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Its all certainly food for thought and might help explain Arnies sudden gluten allergy which appeared after his second jab and has now mysteriously disappeared. However I dont think I am brave enough to not let him have the boosters just yet

19. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Eeeeek this is a little confusing and has made me quite nervous about vaccines. I have never heard anything about this before :(

20. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I have seen and smelt parvo virus and I think its silly questioning whether or not to vaccinate your dog??? My son goes up his fathers where I know his dogs are'nt vaccinated. When he comes home he has to get straight in the bath and all his clothes in the wash before he even touches my dogs!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice