Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

high value toy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tasha15, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tasha15

tasha15 PetForums Member

have any of you trained with 1 toy to be a very high value such as tuggy if so how did you do it?

2. PedigreeUK

PedigreeUK PetForums Member

I've not tried it myself, but I think some police and search dogs are trained in this way. It might be worth looking out for one of the TV programmes about them for some extra tips.

I expect someone on these boards has tried it and can give you some good advice.

Janet

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I didnt set out to do it but it happened.

Up until 8 months Heidi would retrieve in the house but never outside. On one of her walks at the reserve she started taking an interest in an other dogs ball. She had balls of her own (this wording sounds all wrong :lol:) but OH pointed out they were too big for her to manage comfortably. I bought her a small tennis ball and she took to that brilliantly. So much so that nothing else was called "ball". Now I keep it with me all the time and there is nothing she wont do for it.

Even on our last day on the moors when she decided she wasnt getting the the car to come home (soooo funny) I took "ball" out and she was right there :lol:

4. tasha15

tasha15 PetForums Member

she loves balls tenis balls but have read alot about collies liking to play tug as you are the pleasure with the toy instead of throwing it she does but want to get her really motivated for it any ideas?

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Not sure how you would get her interested in tug games unless perhaps you thread a couple of tennis balls onto a piece of rope and then try and initiate something. I found tug a great way to teach my terrier control, even when she is over excited. I started gingerly at first, asking her to "leave" more or less as soon as we started and gradually built up to the point where she really shakes it and growls still stopping and leaving when I ask.

Regarding playing the game with you - something we do to stop Heidi being so fixated on the ball and to make her realise she is playing the game of ball with me and not just her and the ball is to get her to look at me before I throw it each time. She soon cottoned on that the ball wasnt thrown until she looked at me and now does it as a matter of course. It's quite a good one to use for other training as well and helps to keep them focused on you.

Good luck and hope this makes some sense :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice