Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

High Quality Dog Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sandy&Henry, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Sandy&Henry

Sandy&Henry PetForums Junior

Hello Everyone,
    i need some advise in High Quality Dog Food. Im currently feeding Verselle-laga but i noticed my dof farts, burps & poos quiet alot i only feed once a day so hid bowl movement should be controlled! The bag cost me 70 Euro for 15 Kg (£60) i know i could get a higher quality food for that money but im strugglin to find a decent brand out here. They only sell like pedigree, hills, purina, bento kronen, royal canin... i know that the smelly farts & burps come from not so high quality food ( i thought the food im feeding was quiet good as it cost alot of money, but prooved wrong) Any advise on good dog food?

Thank you all already for your help:thumbup:

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Orijen is supposed to be the best dried their is - dont know if you have access to it:D

3. Sandy&Henry

Dont think i have seen it around unfortionatly i current live in cyprus and most ppl out here dont care about there dogs. any other good ones people can recoment for the little while i have left here?

4. Oddball

Oddball Guest

Moose is on Pro-Plan as advised by my vet mind. But while I was sat in there waiting, I saw quite a few people buying it. But, it is a high price for how much you get :(

5. Sandy&Henry

well the only decent ones available for me are Pro plan, Royal Canin, Hills & versele!

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Have you considered a raw diet? You can get this anywhere then :)

Or if you would like to stick with commercial, can you order any brands online perhaps that would ship to you? If not through a manufacturers website then through eBay perhaps? Or do you know anyone in the EU that could buy and send to you?

I was just trying to check up on the ingredients for you - but which one do you feed as they do a few in the range?

Do you definitely want to feed a kibble? Or are there any wet foods you have access to? Often they have less in the way of fillers and a higher % meat than kibble for the better brands...although you still have to watch for cereals/other fillers and added sugars.

7. Sandy&Henry

I thought about a raw diet, i wanted to do it for the dogs and cats but it seem so comlicated i feel like i cant get into it... im up for trying it if i have the right advice!!!

I currently feed verselle lamb & rice for mini medium!
    i think i can order it over zooplus!!!
    i never thought about feeding wet food!!! which one would be good to feed??

Thanks for your help already

8. If you can order from Zooplus they do some real good dry foods!

9. Sandy&Henry

yeah ive seen there do the orijen for £51.99 and i pay for crappy food basiclly £60!! i have to find out if there deliever to BFPO if not i have to find a different solution!!!

10. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Well if you want to have a think about raw, even if just for future or to learn more, take a look at my raw feeding sticky - loads of info in there and lots of questions and answers from members on here - lots of us feed raw so we are always on hand to answer any questions.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/111437-raw-feeding-everything-you-need-know.html

Before switching my lot over (dog & cats) I did research it for ages and during that time they were all on orijen - I would highly recommend this food if you can get hold of it through zooplus and you want a dry food.

But then saying that, if you can get stuff from zooplus, there are some really good wet food brands on there too. I particularly liked:

Bozita - (excluding the '& Rice' varieties) its good that they contain no grain and minimal fillers. Looks like very good sources of ingredients if the details are to be believed.

Animonda - I quite liked the look of the ingredients in this brand too for the standard adult cans: Great Deals on Animonda Canned Dog Food at Zooplus: Animonda GranCarno Adult 6 x 400 g

11. SlingDash

SlingDash PetForums Senior

I thought you could get anything sent anywhere in this day and age?

If you want the best kibble, look at Orijen or Taste Of The Willd.

High quality moist foods include Nature's Harvest, Nature's Menu, NatureDiet and Natural Instinct - the latter being as close to a raw, meaty bone diet that you can get, but it's VERY expensive, unfortunately.

12. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I live in Cyprus too and have the same "problem".

I have decided to go along with Royal Canin and I'm really happy with how Bella is doing on it. She gets 60% dried and the rest is cooked, raw bones, suitable leftovers etc.

13. Sandy&Henry

Well i just had a look at my dogs food and it says 60 % rice, im fuming :mad: i cant believe no wonder he burps and farts like mad, i spend £ 60 on that food its unbelievable how **** that food is for the money im paying!!!
    I will go to the Pet shop as soon as possible to buy a different food, have a good snoop around to see which the best is is could get!!

does anyone know the ingrdients for Royal Canin all breeds as i dont know what to feed him from Royal canin as he is a cross bread?

14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would probably plump for something suited to a breed about the same size as yours. Lots of companies do large and small breed varieties so I would imagine RC has tweaked theirs along the same lines.

Remember years ago there was no just thing:eek: "Just dog food":D If they were old we fed them less, pups we fed more and in between we watched their weight :D

Good luck and I hope you find something you will both be happier with;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice