Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

high protein food for nursing bitch?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by doogpoh, May 24, 2010.

1. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

hi my mum's dog had ten puppies on saturday and she has asked me to ask on here about high protein food she can give her as well as her normal food. She's been giving her a couple of raw eggs a day and some hearts as well as pedigree puppy food. Thanks

2. riffraffdeefer

riffraffdeefer PetForums Member

Pedigree isn't a very good food especially for a nursing pitch.
    Try orijen or applaws.
    If on a budget try arden grange prestige or performance.
    Also make sure she is having 3 times her normal food intake and that water is always down.
    All the best.

3. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I always switch my bitches to a puppy food at about 5 weeks and feed them smaller meals around 7 times a day, once they've given birth I top up with mince, chicken, tuna and also Lactol if I think the bitch needs it.

Basically - in the early days of feeding, you are almost feeding on demand - slowly reducing as you start weaning the pups. If you are switching the food now, do it over a few days - i.e. supplement what she is currently having with the puppy and slowly take her off the other food.

I used the Arden grange puppy weaning on my second litter - Puppy Food from Arden Grange and also used it to wean the pups onto, switching to their puppy / junior food at about 7 weeks - we didn't have a runny poo or a dicky tum from the minute they were born to the minute they left.

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I put my bitch on Fish4dogs puppy food - its much cheaper if you're a breeder and they will send you a bag of puppy food for each puppy owner free as well. :) I also give mince, chicken, tuna, eggs etc.

I also give my bitch puppy milk, I use skinners puppy milk (its cheaper than lactol) about a pint a day. :)

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

ps - what breed? Pics? :D

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I would get her onto a higher protein food as this is needed for milk production. Aim for something around 26% ish, doesn't necessarily have to be puppy food. I know you mum can be quite stubborn so I understands she may not want change from pedigree, but try them on pets at home puppy (puppy giant has the highest protein so avoid this as they are lab x and therefore prone to bad hips)

Remind her whatever she feeds mum on she has to feed pups on. She can also give GOATS milk to mum too.

7. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

thanks everyone i'll pass on your suggestions, i think she said the pedigree was thirty percent protein which seems very high to me. I have given her half a bag of skinners puppy which my pup didn't like to much so he's on arden grange now. I'll let her know about the chicken and mince, she should have some lactol as well i think. She phoned me earlier to day to ask what i thought was best to feed the pups on and i advised arden grange and she didn't seen put of by the price which surprised me :) so hopefully there be reared on something better than pedigree. Where quarter golden retriever and the rest is lab will try put some pics up in the morning. Thanks everyone

8. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

thanks everyone i'll pass on your suggestions, i think she said the pedigree was thirty percent protein which seems very high to me. I have given her half a bag of skinners puppy which my pup didn't like to much so he's on arden grange now. I'll let her know about the chicken and mince, she should have some lactol as well i think. She phoned me earlier to day to ask what i thought was best to feed the pups on and i advised arden grange and she didn't seen put of by the price which surprised me :) so hopefully there be reared on something better than pedigree. Where quarter golden retriever and the rest is lab will try put some pics up in the morning. Thanks everyone

9. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I give goats milk too as tanya said - it's available from most supermarkets now. I get mine from Morrisons.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice