Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

High fives!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Gilly and Jess, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

I sat trawling through the threads yesterday watching videos that members have posted on how to train your dog on behaviour, tricks, all of that. Some of them were really informative and I learned a whole heap!

I did watch one which involved teaching the dog to touch your hand with their nose, click and reward. I liked that, bit of fun for Jess, quick game I could play with her when she's bored and seeking me out to amuse her.

Oddest place to start with it today but I was waiting outside the pizza shop for my son, (who was being all growed up and buying his own tea with his pocket money......nasty mummy....:tongue_smilie: ) and I sat on the floor with Jess in front of me.

Out come the rewards, and I did exactly as I saw in the video. I got the nose touches and rewarded, then more or less instantaneously I was getting a paw on my hand like a high five every time! It didn't matter where I put my hand, she looked for it and touched it! My response to her was "YES!! FIVE!" when she started doing it.....then I started to ask for the FIVE.....hey presto!

Her tongue was hanging out, her eyes were glistening, ya reckon she was happy with it? I WAS! :D :D

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sounds like a succesful and fun training time :D

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

yay happy times :thumbup:
    ive had some training successes with Willow this weekend as well there must be something in the air!

4. Gilly and Jess

She was soooo animated!! Thoroughly enjoyed it, gonna do more now, lol! She picks it up really quick, just wish it would happen with toys the same way! :)

5. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Now you are a teaser!

Please look through that surf history and put the URLs of the best, so we can share the benefits of your research :)
    I love seeing how ppl are doing things!

6. Gilly and Jess

#6 Gilly and Jess, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Thats very good but its hand targeting not 'high five'.

Hand targeting is how most people start their puppies off for teaching competitive style heelwork and for presents on recall to front, retrieve and scent discrimination.

High five is a heelwork to music move requiring the dog to jump up and place both paws on the palms of your outstretched hands (much the same as people do).

Well thats my understanding of it......

8. Gilly and Jess

What I get with her is my hand held up in front of her, fingers pointing up, she places her paw pads to my palm, toes pointing up. I didn't get it every time last night when I did some more with her, but I got either the nose or the paw, without fail.

I guess I now have to tell her which one of the two I want from her, to avoid mixed messages? :smile:

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I use "touch" for the dog's nose touching my fingers and "Give us five" for high five.

10. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Remember "The Fonz" from Happy Days? I put Hi-5 on that because it looks funny. I made the mistake of luring too long, so he tends to "kiss" the hand not just "slap" it hoping there's a treat in there.

With Pups, make sure you keep the target low, and only gradually increase height with age!

Are there any good pages on targetting, showing how to use it practically? Not just the how to get the behaviour, but demonstrating it's usefulness to build up more complicated behaviours on cue.

#10 RobD-BCactive, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice