Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

High Fat diet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bassetsandbeyond, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

hi everyone, went to a show yesterday as was told my girl was not fat enough......but i knew that anyway (she is quite skinny). i was talking to a lady and she said to put her on a diet with the fat intake is 20% and above.

My Dinky did look lovely and filled out before.....then came the dreaded phantom pregnancy:thumbdown: and she lost the weight.

please help.

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

What do you feed her?

3. bassetsandbeyond

Vitalin L&R (pretty much the same as Burn's L&R)

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How many meals a day?

5. bassetsandbeyond

she has 2 so she doesn't get bloat;)

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you thought about increasing it to 3-4? Maybe mix something in like Naturediet.

I had terrible problems with Oscars weight when he was young, so i fed him little and often. Plus some nice tinned fish can help.

7. Badger's Mum

Sorry i can't help you really coz i raw feed mine now

8. bassetsandbeyond

tried it already, she just sticks her nose up......she never used to be fussy but after her phantom preg, she's got terrible!!!!!

she'll eat everything else apart from her dog food

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive heard from someone on here that lamb breast is meant to be good at putting weight on.

Could you try a puppy food for a short term period? Those are higher in fat arent they?

10. bassetsandbeyond

we were considering putting her back on puppy. the lamb sounds interesting.....but whats the average price of lamb breast these day?

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No idea. I dont eat meat :D

A lot i imagine.

12. rona

rona Guest

I've never known a dog not to like tripe
    Though sometimes the owners aren't so keen :D
    It's supposed to be good to get weight up too :)

13. Badger's Mum

Yes tripe is very good just don't smell it:D

14. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

Lamb breast is probably the best for weight gain as it has a high fat ratio. The bones are also good for keeping teeth clean. Expect to pay upwards of £1.00 per breast.

I charge about £1.75 per kg diced.

15. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Just to play devils advocate - does she actually need to put weight on or does she need to in comparison with other more heavy dogs? I would think in this heat she wouldn't mind being a little skinny, not so much body to carry round :)

16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Tripe is brilliant, I've had my two on extra portions recently, they seem to drop weight in the summer easily. Beef heart is another thing I give mine, it's lean meat but there's a good amount of fat usually comes with it.

If you asked in the show section you'd probably get a few more suggestions, one of the things I know show people use is tinned chappie.

And, just to be a second devil's advocate, the look of the traditional bassett hound shows it to be a lean and fit working dog, perhaps you ought to consider being at the forefront of the KC's 'fit for funciton' campaign' with your breed? I never could understand how just putting weight onto an animal gives it 'condition' in some peoples' eyes, surely its just overweight?? My view, which I know not everyone will agree with :D:D:D

17. bassetsandbeyond

she is the new KC standard basset :D slightly taller, not as low to the ground, not much flab and can run for england!!! not sure about the hunting bit as she loves playing with rabbits rofl:D (i'll prove it later with a photo!
    but she is underweight.

a few months ago she was looking really good and the right weight. but since the phantom she's lost the weight.....from 23.3KGs down to 19kgs. so we've got to get her backup to 23kgs somehow.

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

You will certainly have to post some pics of her, I love seeing Bassetts as you describe, with the longer legs and lean shape.

I still don't understand though, and probably never will, if she's pretty healthy and is just lean, why putting weight on a dog (or any animal for that matter, because it happens in other showing) makes it appear 'in condition'. I'd have thought the optimum condition for a dog, is how it would be if you were working it? The working dogs I've seen don't carry any extra weight at all, they are incredibly lean and fit, and have no fat on at all.

Not at all a criticism, its just something I can't see. When Indie, the larger of my two Labs, had to have her knee joint rebuilt, she went up to 32kg. She normally weighs between 28-30kgs max. With just the extra 2kgs on her, I got comments from a few people who appreciate the show side more, saying how good she looked, and I just thought she looked like she needed to lose weight :confused:

19. bassetsandbeyond

i promise. i'll put some piccies up tonight. i'm at my sis's at the mo babysitting and don't have the piccies on this puter.

i read up the new standards of bassets and said as well as having a level topline, they should also have a near level underside with the rib cage......Dinky is not level its up abit about 2 inches so needs to drop down abit:(

20. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Mine would never have a level bottom line unless they were overweight, they will always have that waist just before their back legs, and I couldn't bring myself to put weight on them to show.

This is Indie, my big lass, who is retired from anything really after she had to have her knee joint rebuilt:
    [​IMG]

And this is Tau, who, as you can see from the second pic, is pretty fit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like 'em lean, and if I ever do get into the showing side of it, I think it would have to be in the gamekeepers ring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice