Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by catellkai, Aug 1, 2009.

1. catellkai

catellkai PetForums Junior

Hello, my name is catherine.I am joining this site to get help and advice for my dogs.I have a 13 week old english bull terrier called jess and a 5 year old male english bull terrier.I have owned my male dog since he was a puppy, he is the most laid back dog i could find, he is one of the kids, a big kid.I decided to buy a female to eventually breed, we went to breeder and i chose the biggest of the litter, she was so small and cut.We picked her up at 6 weeks, since we got her she hasnt been a typical puppy, she wont sit on your knee or sleep in the room, infact it was totally the opposite,she bites and is very generally very hyper.When we got her home the toilet training started, and to my suprise she took to it, i think she has had about 6 or 7 accidents which considering her age is very good. What a reality check she was the kids choose to keep out of her way as she gets too rough and there only 4 and 5.
    Well thats a little about me and my dogs and as you may have noticed i have joined to get some advice and tips

Thanks
    Cat

2. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

3. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome Cat..;)

4. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

hi and welcome
    6 weeks is too young to be taken away from the litter, it should be 8 weeks, as them last two weeks teach the puppy how to behave. She is also teething hense why she is biting so much, but still correct it.
    Also you say you intend to breed, will you have both dogs health checked and are they good examples of the breed and fit breed standard?
    Look forward to talking to you
    Chloe
    x

5. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Hi Cat and welcome :)

6. catellkai

Hi thanks for your replies.We soon realised she was too early when she started suckling my male,she has sunk her teeth in and caused him alot of pain.I now keep them seperate when in the house as i feel my older dog needs some space to himself.The biting has calmed down alot but as my kids are small i know she wouldnt think twice about going for there faces.They are never left alone togther. The pup is to say the least is a handful, i have already enquired about having all the breed test and health checks before i even think of breeding them.

7. Patterdale_lover

Well you sound very sensible and trying to sort it out so i give you credit for that :) The reason why she is acting so weird is because she is not sure how to behave, they learn alot off their siblings between 6-8 weeks so its a shame you got her so early. Also do you know if she was humanised well enough?

8. catellkai

I am not sure i have my doubts though, we were under the impression the mother was with them, but they started weaning at just over a week.I am concerned cause she is avery large puppy and her growth rate so far is amazing she always hungry with the royal canin.I have just uploaded some pics,she doesnt look under fed but i have heard that under feeding can lead to allsorts of behavioural problems.She is already a handful and really wouldnt want her to get any worse.

9. Patterdale_lover

weaning after 1 week! :eek: weaning should start at 3.5 to 4 weeks! The breeder is a waste of space. Are you going to do puppy classes etc.?
    Everytime she nips look her in the eye and so no, never ever do this with an adult dog as it could cause more trouble but with a puppy they tend to be submissive ti stern growly voices. Also with the suckling on the male she will do that until she is told by your male not to. E.g. he might give her a nip or bark and growl to frighten her, but it is just him telling her off. Maybe letting him do this will help, however if he attacks her interven ASAP.

10. catellkai

He already has, i now keep them seperate when we go out, just for safety reasons.I am really considering the classes i am just waiting on a space, She was to me the bully of the litter and thinks that she owns the house,which is hard, i know too much shouting can cause submission problems when she is older.My puppy shows no fear of anything she wont even cower at raised voices I have tried all punishment methods she does not like no and wont be told it either.Last week i treat trained her to **** and she has learnt very fast,but i think its cause she likes treats.When we got our older dog i never needed to consider any type of training as he very good at doing as he is told,so all this is very new.We were told by the vet that she would be hard work so it doesnt bother me.Every day i try here with new things and she is really starting to respond, As for her behaviour i personally believe that it will calm down she has changed alot since we brought her home,so its just time and patience.Thank you for your help i appreciate everything.

#10 catellkai, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  11. Patterdale_lover

She is a terrier, she is going to be strong willed and stubborn, you really have to be powerful with her, say it in a deep growly voice. If she does it again tap her nose. Not hard, don't make her fearful, but like a child they need boundaries and rules.

12. Patterdale_lover

got to go now post a thread in the section dog beahviour and describe everything, maybe some more advice will come along :D
    Nice talking to you and let me know how you get on
    Chloe
    x

13. catellkai

I have found that she is very attentive of me when were in the house, which is good.She adores my daughter we have taught her to be firm too she is very good at telling her no, it suprised me at how good she is with her.My daughter is not very good with most dogs she is very scared by them, a trip to the vets is a nightmare,making the dogs behave and having her super glued to my side.

14. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum

15. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF xxx

16. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

Hello from another newbie! Just thought I'd post quickly, even though I'm new to the forum, as I would love an English Bull terrier but it took me long enough to persuade my OH to let me get one dog (we have a 4 month old working cocker) so I think I'd have my work cut out trying to persuade him to let me have another!! Just had a thought though - you said you took the biggest of the litter, and I wondered if she might be used to getting her own way as she'd be able to budge the others out of the way. If so, her behaviour should settle down in time. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice