Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi! Welcome to the Dog Breeding advice sub forum!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by O2.0, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the Breeding advice forum.
    Before you post, there are some things you should know.

This is a forum of dog lovers first. Probably not the best place to ask about how to make money off a sentient creature.
    Of course breeding involves financial transactions and we are happy to discuss those, just know that most of us are far more interested in the dogs' and puppies' welfare than you making or not losing money. The responses will likely reflect that.

This is January 2021. It has not been a good time for those of us who care about dogs and the crisis of pet overpopulation.
    During the best times, many of us will ask about reasons for breeding, now that's even more of a concern.
    Know that a lot of responses to your choice to breed during a time when the market is clearly flooded is going to be met with a lot of questions and skepticism.

Speaking of skepticism, if your bitch 'accidentally' got pregnant, pull the other one. Seriously. There is no such thing as an accidental litter. Accidental mating, maybe. Though it's shocking the number of people who don't seem to have working doors in their homes or absent minded roommates who don't notice a bitch and dog tied in the living room.
    But once you know there was an accidental mating, allowing the pregnancy to continue is a deliberate act. Don't come here with some sob story about how you couldn't have her spayed or the vets were all closed cause of covid. It's BS, you know it, we know it.
    And if you really think we're going to believe you couldn't afford a spay but can somehow magically afford to properly care for a bitch in pregnancy, whelp the litter, worm, flea, and chip all the pups before they go to their home, again, pull the other one.

If you realize you royally screwed up and are willing to take on board valuable advice even if it's what you may not want to hear, welcome. We're happy to have you.

Longtime members, forgive my boldness in speaking for you, please feel free to disagree, or add your own advice to potential members. :)

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

On the other hand if you are planning to breed your dog and wish for advice and help regarding health test (not just health checks which is just a vet visit) and your dogs suitability to breed then feel free to ask and there will many helpful responses.
    If you have bred your dog for whatever reason and are now at the stage where puppies are due and you’re panicking then there will help from experienced breeders here to virtually hold your hand and talk you through this time.

Whatever your question try not to be offended if the reply is not what you want to hear. This is an open public forum of dog lovers and you can’t dictate the kind of answer you wish to hear. There is much to learn when you have never bred a dog before and people will help you if you if you accept that help

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Saying You're not a breeder because you're only having 1 litter, is literally as dumb as saying you're not a parent because you only have 1 child.

This goes for other areas of the forum, but...

Emptying your post(s) because you don't like the answers is like throwing your toys out of the pram. We mods can undo the edits, and if I think that's why your post has nothing but a full stop in it, I will. Likewise, just because you report your own thread and ask us mods to delete it, doesn't mean we're obligated to do so. Deleting posts/threads is at the Moderator's discretion, and if the only reason you want the thread deleted is because you haven't liked the answers - chances are, it's not going to go in your favour. Not liking the replies is the risk you take when you start a thread.

And this needs to be said - Reporting a mod goes to exactly the same place as reporting your own post, which is exactly the same place that all reports go. So if you report a mod because they have the "audacity" to decline your request to delete your thread, there's a damned good chance that same mod will be dealing with the report you made against them. :rolleyes:

Of course, if you have a genuine complaint against a member's post, by all means, report it and we'll take a look. :)

#3 LinznMilly, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I think I'm losing my mind.
    I could have sworn someone asked something about was their bitch pregnant on this thread. I remember reading it, deciding I wasn't going to be civil enough last night and to sleep on it.
    Now I think I may have dreamed it, and I don't remember this thread being a sticky?
    :Woot:Wacky

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol. I stickied it the day after you posted it, and you didn't dream about the post - I moved it to its own thread. :)

O2.0 and JoanneF like this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes I found the post and commented on it (I think!) :Woot

Thank you!

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've asked a mod to move your post to where you'll get the answers you need, it doesn't belong in this thread.

8. Gill will

Gill will PetForums Newbie

Hi I am thinking of breading my CKC she is 51/2 but is just an absolute pet almost human. We are so afraid of anything happening to her during the labour I have had 3 other CKC in the past and didn’t bread any of them. Is it to late or should I just get her spayed for health reasons she is just a beauty please help I don’t know what to do

9. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

We all think our own dogs are the best & beautiful & that's fine, but that really isn't a good reason to breed them.

For starters what health tests (tests, not checks) has your bitch had & what were the results, cavaliers can have a lot of genetic health problems.

O2.0 likes this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

She's too old to be a first-time mum.

lorilu likes this.
  11. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe (could be wrong though) that current advice says cavs should be bred at an older age due to their heart issues. Just realised I haven't seen Jamesgoeswalkies on here recently, he would probably know.

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What would be the purpose of breeding her?

Just spay her and let her live out her life in peace. The world has enough dogs in it.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Older than the early breeding from about age 2 for other breeds, and for males, yes. With females, the ligaments that hold the pelvis together become less flexible with age, so whelping becomes more problematical the older they are, and the round heads on cav pups don't help. For a first litter, 5 should be the cut-off point with any breed. If the bitch has already whelped, the ligaments will have been stretched so subsequent litters older than 5 are OK, but beyond 8 it's not fair to put such an older dog through it.
    So for a Cav, she could have her first litter at 4, so old enough that any mitral valve disease should be detectable (along with any other heritable health problems).

14. Anka The Golden

Anka The Golden PetForums Newbie

Hello, I am New to learning about studding my ANKA out, he is not of age yet to breed out but almost there. I have his DNA work, Health Check (not Vet check) Lineage papers, AKC registered, etc... How do I go about getting him ready, any advise would be appreciated since I am a new stud's mom.
    Sincerely,
    Mary

15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Since you say AKC I'm assuming you're in the US.
    Goldens are a dime a dozen in the US and not the healthiest. I'd start by getting a CHIC number on him. That means hip score, elbow score, cardiac score from a canine cardiologist, and an eye exam by an ACVO ophthalmologist.
    All these results should be published on the OFA database.

Then have him independently evaluated to see if he is a good example of the breed. Again since goldens are so common, he should at least have a championship in conformation showing (breed ring) and personally I would also like to see some sort of performance title on a golden too, either working title or other dog sport, even therapy dog certification, or something that shows his trainability and temperament.

Talk to his breeder and do some pedigree research too, to see what runs in his lines and which other lines to avoid or which lines might be more compatible with his strengths and faults.

Then consider why you want to stud him out. Consider that you too are now responsible for the litters he produces and the puppies you help bring in to the world. Are you willing to take on that responsibility? Be a potential resource to those puppy buyers?
    Consider also that studding him may change his personality around bitches and may make him harder to handle.

16. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Just to expand to this. By "Be a potential resource to those puppy buyers" @O2.0 means, as well as providing support and information, being prepared to take any puppy sired by your dog, at any time of their lives, if the owner can't keep them and the breeder can't take them on.

O2.0 likes this.
  17. Summerbeckx

Summerbeckx PetForums Newbie

Hi I have a Labrador nearly 2 years old I have mated her twice the first time was 1 week ago today, yesterday she had some greenish discharge today much more she also is sore down there I’m not sure if that’s from my neutered male trying to hump her or not I already have homes lined up for the pups if she has any mostly family members I’m just not sure if I should be really worried or is this normal? I’ve never bred a dog before, this was today

Attached Files:

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You do need to speak to your Vet. A green discharge can indicate infection.

You must stop your dog from 'humping' her. She shouldn't have to tolerate that.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  19. Summerbeckx

Summerbeckx PetForums Newbie

I wanted to call my vet but they are shut today if I split them up they both cry as they want to play I tell him no when he tries and he stops but she seems fine in every way apart from that area

20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Well you’ll have to split them when the puppies are due so start now.

LinznMilly, simplysardonic and O2.0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice