Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi there I'm new to this..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lyndon, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Lyndon

Lyndon PetForums Newbie

Hi there ..I'm new to forums but I thought I'd join to hopefully get some help and info. We recently 4 weeks ago got a beautiful border collie pup she's 12 weeks old now ..we lost our cocker spaniel last year after 12 1/2 Years he was a lovely boy and we thought long and hard to get another dog but if you're a doggy you're a doggy. We thought border collie as I love walking and know they love it too ..now we have our Einstein ponche I want to know I'm doing the right things..she can sit ...lay down ..stay for a few steps away from me ..walking on lead a little. She loves learning but I don't know if I'm expecting too much I need to know how much I should do with her at this age ? And also how to stop separation anxiety as she cries at the back door or if she's in her crate for a few minutes..also nipping I've heard of herding ? I love my little bundle of joy and am looking forward to growing up with her to when we are out in the woods . How hard will the next month's be ??

Attached Files:

2. Sunlark

Sunlark PetForums Junior

New to this too but don't worry the separation thing gets better if you work on it :) mine is about 15 weeks now and she's gone from screaming the house down if she blinked too long in case we left, to being perfectly happy to put herself in her crate for a few hours. I've found giving her something to chew really seems to burn a lot of her energy, more than playing fetch even. But 2 short walks twice a day with some time on long lead practicing recall/sit etc is keeping her occupied for now. New places tire her out more than ones we've been before, and new people too. Next 2 weeks are gonna be good fun for you!

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The most important thing to teach first and what most people forget is to teach your puppy their name. So say the name throughout the day any response from an ear flick a look or running to you give a treat

Young puppies have brains as they say like goldfish so need lots of short bursts to practice to get the hang of things. Don't over think training sessions think about when you can fit them easily so waiting for the kettle to boil is a good one, cooking so something is simmering for a few minutes advert breaks if you do get chance to watch any television

How have you acclimatised to her crate? It needs to be a happy place and so she's happy to be in there. Ideally at night you should be near by to shush her to sleep, place an hand on her for reassurance. The more reassurance she gets now the more confident she will be when older . What can happen is she will stop crying and you presume she's ok but she's actually shut down and 5 months or so down the line when she becomes confident she could start screaming again saying hey no am not happy and become even more anxious

Puppies explore with their mouths. Puppies see their new owners as their whole world so not only are you their care giver but also the best thing in the world to play with. Playing involves biting nipping in all puppies world regardless of breed. The best technique I find is to walk away as soon as the nipping begins out of the room and return in a minute. Yes you will be out the room a lot but signals to puppy all play ends if they bite the human!

tabelmabel and JoanneF like this.
  4. Lyndon

Lyndon PetForums Newbie

Hi there thanks for that ..she's not going out yet she's only had her first injection last week but I can't wait to get her out on walks..we are training her in the garden at the mo..I'm just worried I'm thinking too much that we're not doin it right..all I hear and read is constant training and stimulating I don't know ?? I hope we're doin ok ...

5. Lyndon

Lyndon PetForums Newbie

Hi there thanks for the reply yes she knows her name and tganks for saying about the amount of training I was worrying we were not doing enough or doing it right ..we just want to do the best for her ..she doesn't mind her crate too much we had it originally in our room but now it's just outside in the landing we have one downstairs too which is left open and she goes in and out of it ok sometimes just sleeps in it..we keep the radio on at night and when we're out upstairs it's worse when me or my wife goes out separately we don't make a thing of leaving but she whines and cries at the back door..I know it sounds mad but she's a dog and I remember how we trained our cocker but I think with her it's abit different? I just want to make it as enjoyable for us as for her ..

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

You can prepare her for being alone by getting her used to you walking out of the room then immediately back in again, preferably when she is occupied with something like a Kong. Try to make no fuss, you don't want to prepare her into thinking "oh no this means they are going out" - the aim is for her to barely register you coming and going - ideally for him to have a 'oh, you're back, I didn't notice you leave' reaction. Very, very gradually build up time. This will be hard work but put the work in now and it will pay off later. If she gets distressed though you have gone too fast, and created anxiety and that is not what you want. Stair gates are also useful to allow her to see you pottering about in another room, but without being glued to your feet.

You can also reward independent behaviour - praise when your dog is not actively engaged with you, which is actually quite hard to remember to do because we sort of don't notice when it happens!

There are other things you can do like picking up keys and putting on outdoor clothes then not actually going out, to desensitise her to the triggers that signal you leaving.

An Adaptil diffuser releases calming hormones in the house and might also help.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice