Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi, some advice or experience shared would be great

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by JohnnyD, Mar 20, 2020.

1. JohnnyD

JohnnyD PetForums Newbie

Hi guys!
    I'm new to forums and posting in general so don't be harsh one me :)

I wanted to give a small introduction, my name is Janis and i'm from Latvia (one of the countries in Baltic states) I've been a cat person my whole life and in my family we always had at least one or two cats (oriental). And i always loved that they always curious and very friendly to people especially to his master, although we know that cats are our masters not the way around. :)

As I got engaged to a great girl, whom had a Russian blue cat (around 8 years old lady) already at her place we were having conversations about adding a kitten to our home for the past year or so. We had matching sympathies to Orientals and agreed on Cornish rex, as it meets and matches our thoughts.
    Long story short- we visited a cat breeder of cornish rexes and fell in love with two kittens whom we can take home in about a month.
    when we got home we realized that pretty much it's gonna happen, although we are worried if our Russian blue lady would accept the kittens and wouldn't be jealous or really stressed out and by doing so we would harm our cats nervous system.

I couldn't find any information in the internet, but i stumbled on this great forum and thought to myself to give it a go.
    Has anybody had any similar experience or "know how":
    1. how might our elderly cat react to these kind of actions?;
    2. What would be the right steps to make it work for them?;
    3. Perhaps somebody had similar experiences in this?;
    4. Would it be cruel to our elderly cat?

oh, i should mention that our cat always has been the only pet in this household.

Thanks
    Looking forward to hearing your experiences
    much appreciated
    Janis

#1 JohnnyD, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    moomoowawa likes this.
  2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome I would post your questions on the cat chat section:)

3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hi Janis, welcome to the forum!

With the resident lady having been a single cat for so long you should opt for slow introductions.
    That means giving the kittens a room of their own, door closed, no contact to the girl (What’s her name, by the way?)
    After a couple of days change toys and blankets around to mingle smells. You can also rub the kittens with a towel, then rub the older girl with the same towel and vice versa- all to swop smells.

After a week or so of this you can try putting in a grid door like this
    88E5BB53-C852-4102-833A-5BE817CF66AB.jpeg

So the cats can see and smell each other but not meet. Playing next to the door and sharing treats there helps with giving the cats positive feelings about each others‘ presence.

You‘ll have to watch closely for reactions. Does the resident cat hiss or growl? Does she show discomfiture through her body language?

If you feel that she is okay with the kittens you can try letting them meet directly, but be aware that it can take weeks to reach this point. Don’t rush it, or it might spoil everything.
    Let them meet for short intervals at first, making it a positive experience by sharing treats and playing. Separate them again, if possible, before any unpleasantness occurs.

Continue like this until you are confident that they are comfortable in each other’s presence. Then lengthen the intervals until you can let them stay together while you are close by. Better still separate while you are away or over night until you are fully confident it’s going well.

I keep my fingers crossed that you will have a boring and uneventful introduction. ;)

#3 ChaosCat, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    chillminx, moomoowawa and JohnnyD like this.
  4. JohnnyD

JohnnyD PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    thanks for the info, our Russian Blue's name is Pelicia. In Latvian it is derived from the word gery :)

The thing is we'll take home cornish rex kittens (two- a boy and a girl) on april 26, and do the prepwork till then.

Pelicia doesn't hiss or growl, because she has never encountered any other cat or kitten so she probably thinks that she's the only cat in the world.

Only hissing has been when i came into the family and she wasn't familiar with me after a 2 years she has not accepted me fully, she lets me pet herself but for a limited time and sometimes she sleeps on my legs. but thats about it, her master is my fiancee

Attached Files:

ChaosCat and moomoowawa like this.
  5. JohnnyD

JohnnyD PetForums Newbie

those ar the pics of Pelicia and the two kittens that we're gonna take home in a month :)

moomoowawa likes this.
  6. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

They are all three gorgeous!

I wouldn’t be too certain that Pelicia won’t hiss or growl- it’s instinctive behaviour.

JohnnyD likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice