Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi, new to the cat chat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Fuzzy_moo, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Fuzzy_moo

Fuzzy_moo PetForums Junior

Hi, I've been posting around on the dog forum for a few months now and got chance to look at the cat forum today :)

I've recently moved out of my mom's home and so have left behind our siamese cat Jessica (she was my mom's mainly hence why she's staying with her). I really miss having her around, we've always had pedigree cats as well as moggies, my mom had a burmese called Keta from the age of 18 and he lived until he was 20 so I was born when he was still around and grew up with him and then we had our siamese amoungst two other cats, both moggies, one a ginger called Thomas and another black cat called Salem who passed away about 14 months ago at the age of 18.

So I really wondered a few things. Firstly has anyone else always grown up with pedigree cats? and do they find their personalities to be unmatchable? I'd really love to get a Russian Blue and Egyptian Mau in the future, has anyone got either breed? and what are your experiences with them? Finally, has anyone got a funny stories about their cats?

I have loads of funny stories, but just for now, I think the funniest one I was told about was my mom's burmese Keta. My grandma had made my grandad a ham sandwhich and put it on the coffee table and shouted "your sandwhich is on the table!" My grandad came down and took a bite out of his sandwhich to find it was just two pieces of bread and butter! He said to my grandma "where's my ham?" the only culprit in the house was Keta! But unbelievably, you would think the two pieces of bread would have moved with him trying to get the ham out, but no. The sandwhich was in perfect order and position that my grandma had left it in! :D

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi and welcome to the darkside :D,nice to have a new cat member.I wasnt brought up with cats ,I was surrounded by dogs ,during childhood and into adult life until recently when my last Afghan was put to sleep .I have, until I got my last kitten ,only had moggies but I now have a Ragdoll but that is another ,long story.As for personalities I have to say I have found very little difference between them,I just love all the individual characteristics .Funny stories ,there are so many ,probably the funniest ,recent one was when Meeko(ragdoll)chased his first fly and nearly demolished the house http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/116248-meeko-has-just-caught-eaten-his-first-fly.html

3. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Hello and welcome!

I'm an abyssinian owner, but Egyptian Maus and Russian Blues were the other breeds at the top of our list! (along with Siamese and Maine Coons and... it was quite a long list... :001_tongue: )

There's a member on here with a couple of Maus - I remember a picture of their stunning bronze Mau sunning themselves, you may find it in the photo section? I really love the bronzes :001_wub: but they seem harder to find than the silvers.

I'm a first time pedigree owner having always had rescue moggies in the past and all I'd say is do lots of research! We spent ages looking at pictures on flickr and watching youtube videos of all the breeds before making our decision! The cat 101 breed videos on youtube are a good too. Visit breeders and meet their cats, and make sure you find a breeder that you're really comfortable with before making a decision.

4. Fuzzy_moo

Fuzzy_moo PetForums Junior

Salem was a rescue we had him at 6 years old and we had a wonderful 12 years out of him. He was though however, the oddest cat we have ever had, even the vet said he was the weirdest cat he had come across! He wasn't very smart to say least, he was very clumsy for a cat, he used to like belly rubs like a dog, he used to seek out the dirtiest smelliest places to sit in outside, he use to dribble and drool and he used to like rubbing his face, nipping and playing with your feet (but only when they were smelly!). Oh and he was frightened of men. All we know was that his previous owner was an old man. Whether this explains anything, I don't know!

So every cat of course has a different personality, but I think I just like the affection and cleverness of pedigrees, but I would always consider a rescue cat as there are so many in need of loving homes. At the moment, I have enough to handle with my rottweiler/border collie cross dog as I'm studying for a degree amoungst other things too. I deffinately want another cat though :D

I do get to have Jessica (siamese) for a week this month though when my mom goes on holiday :D She won't like the change of environment though so I may have a screaming siamese on my hands for a week :eek:hmy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice