Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi, new here, need some advice

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by woofiewaffles, Apr 5, 2021.

1. woofiewaffles

woofiewaffles PetForums Newbie

Hi my 17 1/2 year old JRT wont toilet on walks anymore. Never had any problems with pottying in the past. Hes mostly blind and deaf and I think he has a bit of dementia, but is mostly a happy boy. Any ideas?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've asked the mods to move your thread to the appropriate forum. :)

3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Is it a problem? Do you mean he’s toileting in the house? I mean, presumably he’s going somewhere? If not at all, get him to the vet ASAP.

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Might be that he's anxious out of his known home area and can't relax enough to toilet. As long as he's toileting in the garden I'd not worry. At 17 you have to allow him some little quirks. Cherish him, they aren't around long enough.

5. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi I’d think with being blind and deaf, it’s probably a confidence thing, I wouldn’t worry as long as he’s toileting in the garden where he feels safe

woofiewaffles, lorilu and Sarah H like this.
  6. woofiewaffles

woofiewaffles PetForums Newbie

Hey thanks all for your replies, he does toilet in the garden, with occassional accidents inside but nothing we cant cope with. Hes still a gorgeous old sweetie.

7. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Oh, OK. You're lucky - our 17.5 year old Lab-X now pretty much uses the house (usually his bed), though he will go outside if the timing is perfect - he's in a similar state to your JRT with a bit of CCD, I think, but he also has a neurological problem which affects his back legs a bit and I think it now means he really has little control over his bowels: when it happens, it happens. Sad, but like yours he's still a very sweet dog.

woofiewaffles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice