Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hi need help with new mum

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by clarslou7011, Aug 3, 2009.

1. clarslou7011

clarslou7011 PetForums Newbie

hi

wondered if anybody can offer advice please! sorry in advance if its a bit long.

my beloved candy had new babys last wednesday night and they are doing fantastic.

my question is, is that she has started acting strange again almost like when she was nesting. we sorted out a box for her about 2 weeks before the babies were due and she loved it but the day before she gave birth right up until she did give birth she led at the side of the box under towels that were hanging down and she is doing this again she started it again today.. if the babies make a sound she jumps straight back in to see to them but as soon as they are sorted she is back out of the box under the covers a the side hiding. if i check on her she just cries at me but im not sure what she wants.. she has plenty of food & water, i try and sit with her but that doesnt seem to comfort her at all.. if i try and stroke her she will only allow me to stroke her head and shoulders, i have tried a sneak to see if all is ok with her back end and she just jumps away, i have checked her nipple to make sure they are not hot, she does not have a temp now im stumped...

thanks again claire

2. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

If she is a first time mum it could be down to a little stress and confusion. How old is she?

Or she could be in pain. Internally, if she was mine if she hadn't settled down properly in 24 hours or so, i would phone the vets and ask their advice.

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

i think maybe she is wanting a bit of her own space and feels happy under the blankets , im sure she will be fine , perhaps a bit confused with such a new thing, unless she seems unwell i wouldnt be too worried.

4. clarslou7011

hi this is her first litter and she is 1 1/2 years old, she doesnt seem inpain as she is walking round, jumping on the kitchen tops then she just seem to hide for a bit, just checked on her again and she is feeding babies, she does like to lie on them though! i bit strange i thought.. i do have three children and i have banned them from going near her so she doesnt feel frightened for her babies

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Aww she seems ok bless her. As said before it could be that she wanted some space. She was probably a little stressed! As us mums know it can be a very surreal experience first time around lol!!

6. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

well i had a cat when i was little that had kittens than after a few days ran off out of the house and never came back, im sure it was a type of post natal hormone thing, hopefully she will settle down soon, keep us updated.

7. clarslou7011

thanks for all your advice, i think i have been worrying over her a bit too much she she seems fine. fast asleep with her babes... i did report to the vets last thurdsday to let them know all went well even though i wasnt around for the third one to come out as she went into labour at 10.30 pm last wednesday had number one at 10.50 after only pushing for about 15mins the second one come at about 11.30 after 2 big pushes and then all contractions stopped, i stayed with her until just after 1am and still no more, so i got on the sofa thinking i would hear her if anything was to happen, then the next thing my husband walk me up at 4am, so i went to check on her and there was number 3.......she did amazing so proud of her :D

8. clarslou7011

the vet did say to take her and babes for a check up when they were around 10days is this normal? i thought this may be to soon to take them out?

9. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

This is just an outside possibility - what bedding have you in the pen? If you are using vet bedding it maybe she is too warm with the babies in there as well. If you are using vet bedding change it for a cotton sheet or similar.

10. clarslou7011

hi there

no im not using vet bedding, im just using some old bath towels at the moment. would they be ok?

11. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

I would take the mother with the babies. I took Tilda, Derek and the Breakfast Club (the kittens) in the box I had prepared for her to give birth in (which she didnt use)!

Towels sound fine, i have old bedding in the box

xx

12. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thanks so much for sharing all this, mine is due in a few weeks and im a very nervous mother, more nervous then when I was about to give birth lol!

My vet isnt interested, cos im with PDSA they said that they (this was receptionist) dont advocate breeding, so only bring her in if theres a problem, and even said then they may turn us away...... so im hoping it all goes well

13. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Well it nice to know that the PDSA are a bunch of animal lovers!!!!! :cursing:

I hope you told her what for when she said that to you, who the hell does she think she is!!!!

Take her and the kittens to a regular vets when she has them, they wont charge much and you will prob only come out with worming paste which is about £5.

At least you know it is somewhere that cares.

#13 sjreilly72, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  14. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

what age should you take them to be checked?

15. sjreilly72

I took twinkle and her kittens when they where 10-14 days old, just opening there eyes. She gave them all a clean bill of health, checked for unbilical hernia etc. All I was charged for the worming paste, Flea spray(one you can use on 2 day old kittens £17) and a worming tab for Twinkle all in all cost me £29 but she didn't charge me any consultation costs at all and I was in there for about 30 mins.

#15 sjreilly72, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  16. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

how did you carry them in? altogether in a box? or the mother in cat carrier and the babies in the box?

17. sjreilly72

I took them all in a large pet carrier, it is the one out of Argos (about£15 870/6416)as I have a very large male cat that I have to use for it. I actually used it also for one of her nesting boxes as the lid is detatchable.

18. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh ive got that one, I was worried she would roll on them. Do you think they prefer smaller boxes for their babies? or bigger ones?

19. sjreilly72

I would go for a box that is big enough for her to lay down comfortabley and accomadate all the kittens. Taking them to the vets in a carry case is the safest and best way. If you take her in a box whats to say she won't jump out!!

20. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Blimey, sj, you have a good vet!!

I never take mine in unless there is a problem. If I do have to take them in then I just put them all in a carrier with Mum as well.

Kitties - 99% of moggy births are perfectly straightforward and we will all be here for you. Don't panic!

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice